Broken Wrist

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello unfurntantly i had a bad fall at the weekend and ended up breaking my wrist i was just wondering if there are any benefits available im from the uk.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do you work????

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ah right, I am not sure how you would get any benefits. Pretty sure you need to go and sign on 1st and see what the dole office suggests. GOOD LUCK

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
How are you managing your insulin injections and blood testing ?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As you are self employed, you are meant to save for such things. You can try and get something, but the way things are I doubt you would get anything.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? Surely if the self employed pay NI they should get the same as everyone else? (Just a question, I'm not arguing :))

Reactions: Jayden2407

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are self employed, you are meant to save for such things. You can try and get something, but the way things are I doubt you would get anything.
we pay class 2 and class 4 national insurance as self employed people.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That assumes you have enough work on to be able to do that. Not so easy in the current climate, sadly.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
ideally i should have had insurance but you dont think these kind of things will happen

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
To be honest, I have no idea what you can claim benefit wise as being self employed.
All I know, is that my nieces husband is self employed, he puts a bit away each month for things like this, I do know he has something that's just for self employed people that he pays into that has something to do sickness, I remember he said something about costing alot more then what employed people pay.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father had a policy for years (very many years ago now) He hurt his back and he couldn't work for months. Then he had an accident and there was another long period when he couldn't work. The insurance company cancelled his policy once he had claimed all he had paid in. Not sure if they can do that nowadays, but it seems a waste of time if you can only get back what you pay in, you may as well just save the money yourself.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You definitely need a accident / sickness insurance policy if you are self employed.
IF you can afford it. IF you are not on a zero hours or gig economy job. IF you are not on minimum pay with no extras. I have put the links up thread for a reason, the National Insurance self employed people pay is there for a reason, use it @Davie_sett and all the best to you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many self employed people are too poor to have a private pension, or insurances, or whatever. They just about survive paying the necessary bills, and often not even that. Its no good telling someone they must have savings, or a pension, or insurance, if they cant afford it. I do not know the OP's circumstances, but lets think of the conditions and wages of a builders laborer for a minute,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can do it with one hand just abit awkward
In the meantime, while sorting our some benefits, ask to be referred to a food bank too, if you need to, so you get fed as well, and they often have a benefits adviser around too, or can put you in the way of one.

Reactions: zand
D

Deleted member 308541

the National Insurance self employed people pay is there for a reason,
Not much good to self employed contractors here in Australia, hence my post. I had one when I was working for wages to cover any accidents / sickness which pulled me out of the doo on several occasions.