How Many Carbs

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hi i was wondering how many carbs you eat per meal and i was wondering if you could tell me :)

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t eat many, probably less than ten, but most other T1s eat a lot more than that quite happily. Are you having problems with counting and dosing for it?

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
no not really because my mum does that the nurse's say every 20g 1 unit but that was to much so i am scared of going low even more

Last edited:

Jayden2407

no not really because my mum does that the nuries say every 20g 1 thing but that was to much so i am scared of going low even more

Do you mean insulin to carb ratio is 1 - 20g?
I do my sons, his is 1 - 15g in the morning and at tea time but 1 - 20g at lunch time.

I make sure Jayden has no more than 40-60 grams of carbs with each meal, since I have been doing this he’s had reading between 4-7 for the past three days :)
I understand everyone is different but maybe speak to your mum and try it, it may be for you too.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
no not really because my mum does that the nuries say every 20g 1 thing but that was to much so i am scared of going low even more
I take 1 unit of insulin for every 10g carbs for most of the day, but in the mornings it’s 1 unit for every 7g carbs.

So you’re finding 1 unit for 20g leaves you hypo after eating? Maybe have a chat with your mum and nurse to see about changing it to 1 unit for 25g? Is your mum happy to adjust your doses for you? Forgive me, I can’t remember how long you’ve been type one, just that you're a fair bit younger than me x

Reactions: EllieM and therower

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I am 64 and stopped growing years ago ( but still learning, even though my wife jokes that my brain is shrinking, just because I seem to forget to do the washing up sometimes !!) I am naughty for pretending to forget and she for joking about me !!!
So my need for lots of carbs is much less than when I was 13 and growing.
On my insulin pump: Morning ratio is 1 unit per 8 grams and Evening 1 unit per 7 grams.
Everyone is different and I am sure your ratios will change as you grow. Now a story to tell:
There was an English person in New York. She had concert tickets and was trying to find her way to a famous concert place called Carnegie Hall. She was asking passersby the way and receiving all sorts of answers.
Then she spied a man carrying a violin case, walking up some steps, She called out, "Please, sir. How to I get to Carnegie Hall "?
The man with the violin case turned to her and said: "Madam, practice, practice and more practice "!
As you and your parents learn more and more about your diabetes, you will find things a bit easier. Yes, there will be challenges, but good times and victories also.
Bestest Wishes!!

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow everyone has such low ratios here! I'm on 1 unit for 3g at dinner time! I just eat whatever I want and bolus for that. PS pizza is A LOT (im talking 100g+) if you are having a full one. I recommend downloading the Carbs and Cals app and buying the book if you don't already have it as it has allowed me to accurately calculate how many carbs im eating. I wouldn't worry too much about only eating a certain amount of carbs, its more about accurately calculating how many you are eating so you know how much to inject. That's what I do and my Hba1c is 6.6% and the goal is 6.5% (even when im eating full pizzas) so I think im doing okay!

Reactions: Jayden2407

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my ratio now is 0.5units to 30g carbs, and still having low readings during day. so having to snack between meals, and sometimes during night, but using fruit to boost, so healthy options. Was diagnosed almost 4 weeks ago, mum does all my calculations and ratios, dietician said one thing and proved to be wrong with the ratios. My hbc1a has come down by 23 units in 3 weeks, but is still high at 104.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
my ratio now is 0.5units to 30g carbs, and still having low readings during day. so having to snack between meals, and sometimes during night, but using fruit to boost, so healthy options. Was diagnosed almost 4 weeks ago, mum does all my calculations and ratios, dietician said one thing and proved to be wrong with the ratios. My hbc1a has come down by 23 units in 3 weeks, but is still high at 104.
Sounds like you’re doing great, it’s all so new and there’s so much to learn. Can I be nosy and ask your age?

Jayden2407

My son is 11 on the 24th of this month and like you he was diagnosed around 4 weeks ago. The 8th June to be precise. Like your mum I do all the ratio and carb counting. Do you have the carbs and cals book? I have the app on my phone too, it’s great when you’re out.
Also bought some small salter scales which are handy.

Jayden is still on 40-60g carbs each meal and it’s working okay so far

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My son is 11 on the 24th of this month and like you he was diagnosed around 4 weeks ago. The 8th June to be precise. Like your mum I do all the ratio and carb counting. Do you have the carbs and cals book? I have the app on my phone too, it’s great when you’re out.
Also bought some small salter scales which are handy.

Jayden is still on 40-60g carbs each meal and it’s working okay so far
i dont know if i have the book but i am glad you found something that works for your son:):):)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much basal (long acting) insulin are you taking and when, having to snack constantly is a good indication that your basal insulin is too much.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you are having to eat extra all day and also during the night due to hypo’s it may be that your background nasal injection dose is too much.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GlitterSparkles - How often are you in touch with your DN ir Doc? It sounds like you have quite a lot to be talking to them about!