Gum Disease

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Has anybody experienced remission of diabetic gum disease after lowering their blood sugar levels, or heard of anybody who has?

D

Deleted Account

Not after lowering BG.
However, when we have high BG, our bodies look for all sorts of ways to flush out the excess sugar. This is why frequent peeing is a common symptom of undiagnosed diabetes.
One way we try to get rid of excess sugar is through saliva which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
As a consequence, you may have gum disease diagnosed soon after diabetes diagnosis ... or for some, a dentist may highlight a concern before diabetes diagnosis.

Interestingly, another way we try to get rid of the excess sugar is through my tears.
I noticed this when I was first diagnosed and upset about it ... until I licked my tears and was then so fascinated by the not salty, sweet taste I invited my boyfriend to do the same.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
you may have gum disease diagnosed soon after diabetes diagnosis ... or for some, a dentist may highlight a concern before diabetes diagnos

That happened to me it's getting quite bad now, so I was hoping against hope. Thanks Helen.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my gums have been so much better since low carbing.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Yes, my gums have been so much better since low carbing.
Wow! May I ask when you started low carbing, and when did you notice the improvement? Still hoping a bit

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my gums got healthier about 4 weeks after i started low carbing, but the inflammation got less intense sooner. For me, high carbs = inflammation in lots of places, including my gums.

Reactions: briped

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soz,,,back after full time lol.
OK. I totally agree with @lucylocket61 . My gums took about the same time as hers. This was about 7 years ago. If I have too many carbs for a while they start to get bad again...a good early warning system to get right back on track lol.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. I totally agree with @lucylocket61 . My gums took about the same time as hers. This was about 7 years ago. If I have too many carbs for a while they start to get bad again...a good early warning system to get right back on track lol.
me too. If i get any inflammation anywhere, including my gums or planar faciitis, I know i have eased up again.

Reactions: zand

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
my gums got healthier about 4 weeks after i started low carbing, but the inflammation got less intense sooner. For me, high carbs = inflammation in lots of places, including my gums.
Mine got better too, about 12 years ago, but I fell off the wagon, and now it's really bad. Maybe it's too late for me. Was diagnosed in 2005, but had the gum disease before that. I'm on penicillin now, hoping it'll help. Thanks for boosting my hope :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My dentist noticed a huge improvement in my gum health after I’d been low carb (and much better controlled) for about four months.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine got better too, about 12 years ago, but I fell off the wagon, and now it's really bad. Maybe it's too late for me. Was diagnosed in 2005, but had the gum disease before that. I'm on penicillin now, hoping it'll help. Thanks for boosting my hope :)
Obviously I don't know but I reckon it's not too late. Give it your best shot again and see what happens. Hoping it works for you. :) I need to get properly back on the wagon too. And the exercise wagon as well. :rolleyes:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Obviously I don't know but I reckon it's not too late. Give it your best shot again and see what happens. Hoping it works for you. :) I need to get properly back on the wagon too. And the exercise wagon as well. :rolleyes:
Oh I am back on the LCHF wagon, and have been since the end of March this year, I just need to get a grip on that exercise wagon :sour: Worst thing is that I can't afford to see a dentist. It's a struggle to climb back on those wagons, isn't it? Take it from me and use it as motivation, please do as per yesterday, or risk your teeth and general health. It's a question of bad progressing into worse, but I think I've learned the lesson, or at least I hope so.

Reactions: Serena51

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I am back on the LCHF wagon, and have been since the end of March this year, I just need to get a grip on that exercise wagon :sour: .

I couldn't sleep, I am so cross with a family member...so I got up at 5 am and went for a 40 min brisk (well as brisk as I could) walk. Does anger fuelled exercise count? lol

Reactions: Alison Campbell

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I couldn't sleep, I am so cross with a family member...so I got up at 5 am and went for a 40 min brisk (well as brisk as I could) walk. Does anger fuelled exercise count? lol
I'm sure it helped a lot with anger and BG management, but it probably didn't do much good for sleep ditto. Didn't it make you feel wide awake? :) I woke up at 3am because of my husband's snoring, but sadly I'm not angry with him, or I'd have gone for a walk too. Once I swam a mile because of anger :hilarious:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure it helped a lot with anger and BG management, but it probably didn't do much good for sleep ditto. Didn't it make you feel wide awake? :) I woke up at 3am because of my husband's snoring, but sadly I'm not angry with him, or I'd have gone for a walk too. Once I swam a mile because of anger :hilarious:

Oh yes wide awake. Getting cross again now though.... I might have to go for another walk soon lol. If only I could motivate myself to walk simply because I care about myself....

lol you swam a mile in anger? That's awesome. You're my hero, maybe I'll have swimming lessons so I can get good enough to do that.:)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Oh yes wide awake. Getting cross again now though.... I might have to go for another walk soon lol. If only I could motivate myself to walk simply because I care about myself....

Either that, or make sure you stay very very angry for the rest of your life :)

lol you swam a mile in anger? That's awesome. You're my hero, maybe I'll have swimming lessons so I can get good enough to do that.:)

I certainly did, but I was a fairly good swimmer. Not fast, but I had stamina. Swimming is great, especially if you can just crawl along without zig-zagging in and out between kids and others who aren't interested in doing lapses. Also, public pools usually aren't open at 5am or whenever you get angry. That's the downside ;)