1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gum Disease

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by briped, Jul 11, 2018.

1. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has anybody experienced remission of diabetic gum disease after lowering their blood sugar levels, or heard of anybody who has?

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Not after lowering BG.
    However, when we have high BG, our bodies look for all sorts of ways to flush out the excess sugar. This is why frequent peeing is a common symptom of undiagnosed diabetes.
    One way we try to get rid of excess sugar is through saliva which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
    As a consequence, you may have gum disease diagnosed soon after diabetes diagnosis ... or for some, a dentist may highlight a concern before diabetes diagnosis.

Interestingly, another way we try to get rid of the excess sugar is through my tears.
    I noticed this when I was first diagnosed and upset about it ... until I licked my tears and was then so fascinated by the not salty, sweet taste I invited my boyfriend to do the same.

3. briped

That happened to me it's getting quite bad now, so I was hoping against hope. Thanks Helen.

4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes, my gums have been so much better since low carbing.

5. briped

Wow! May I ask when you started low carbing, and when did you notice the improvement? Still hoping a bit

6. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Soz,,,back after full time lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

my gums got healthier about 4 weeks after i started low carbing, but the inflammation got less intense sooner. For me, high carbs = inflammation in lots of places, including my gums.

• Like Like x 1
  8. briped

Touching wood for you lot :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

OK. I totally agree with @lucylocket61 . My gums took about the same time as hers. This was about 7 years ago. If I have too many carbs for a while they start to get bad again...a good early warning system to get right back on track lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lucylocket61

me too. If i get any inflammation anywhere, including my gums or planar faciitis, I know i have eased up again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. briped

Mine got better too, about 12 years ago, but I fell off the wagon, and now it's really bad. Maybe it's too late for me. Was diagnosed in 2005, but had the gum disease before that. I'm on penicillin now, hoping it'll help. Thanks for boosting my hope :)

• Hug Hug x 3
  12. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

My dentist noticed a huge improvement in my gum health after I’d been low carb (and much better controlled) for about four months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Obviously I don't know but I reckon it's not too late. Give it your best shot again and see what happens. Hoping it works for you. :) I need to get properly back on the wagon too. And the exercise wagon as well. :rolleyes:

14. briped

Oh I am back on the LCHF wagon, and have been since the end of March this year, I just need to get a grip on that exercise wagon :sour: Worst thing is that I can't afford to see a dentist. It's a struggle to climb back on those wagons, isn't it? Take it from me and use it as motivation, please do as per yesterday, or risk your teeth and general health. It's a question of bad progressing into worse, but I think I've learned the lesson, or at least I hope so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I couldn't sleep, I am so cross with a family member...so I got up at 5 am and went for a 40 min brisk (well as brisk as I could) walk. Does anger fuelled exercise count? lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. briped

I'm sure it helped a lot with anger and BG management, but it probably didn't do much good for sleep ditto. Didn't it make you feel wide awake? :) I woke up at 3am because of my husband's snoring, but sadly I'm not angry with him, or I'd have gone for a walk too. Once I swam a mile because of anger :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Oh yes wide awake. Getting cross again now though.... I might have to go for another walk soon lol. If only I could motivate myself to walk simply because I care about myself....

lol you swam a mile in anger? That's awesome. You're my hero, maybe I'll have swimming lessons so I can get good enough to do that.:)

18. briped

Either that, or make sure you stay very very angry for the rest of your life :)

I certainly did, but I was a fairly good swimmer. Not fast, but I had stamina. Swimming is great, especially if you can just crawl along without zig-zagging in and out between kids and others who aren't interested in doing lapses. Also, public pools usually aren't open at 5am or whenever you get angry. That's the downside ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kenny3363

Kenny3363 · Newbie

What is a low carb diet tell ne exact what to eat thanks

20. lucylocket61

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook