Completely Confused Mess About Diet

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
(Type 2 and a coronary 4 months ago. Lost 40 lb. Now 2 hours walk every day).

Take care of calories, too.(Btw. have never had 3 eggs for breakfast). People think when they are on low carb diet they can eat as much fatty food as they like and sit the whole day without exercise.

In a word, it`s low carb, low calorie plus exercise.

Boblc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a quick read through most of the advice here and good though it is there is one thing missing. Exercise!

I was diagnosed with type 2 earlier this year and cut down on food portions and made some changes to my diet but I also started exercising. Nothing too strenuous to start but I enjoy a brisk walk for 30 minutes, 3 times per week. Using this I lost about 12 kilos over 3 months.

You can if you believe you can. We believe you can!

Reactions: Ojustaboo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(Type 2 and a coronary 4 months ago. Lost 40 lb. Now 2 hours walk every day).

Take care of calories, too.(Btw. have never had 3 eggs for breakfast). People think when they are on low carb diet they can eat as much fatty food as they like and sit the whole day without exercise.

In a word, it`s low carb, low calorie plus exercise.

Sorry but it really isn't...

Reactions: flexi06

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a quick read through most of the advice here and good though it is there is one thing missing. Exercise!

I was diagnosed with type 2 earlier this year and cut down on food portions and made some changes to my diet but I also started exercising. Nothing too strenuous to start but I enjoy a brisk walk for 30 minutes, 3 times per week. Using this I lost about 12 kilos over 3 months.

You can if you believe you can. We believe you can!

You still can't outrun a bad diet..

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Don't know where you live but once you have your meter ask your GP to prescribe the test strips and lancets. My GP had no problems as it's an integral part of monitoring your blood glucose and without testing when you've eaten different things how do you know what you can tolerate or not? My GP told me about LCHF, since diagnosis two years ago I've only seen him every couple of months and just seen the diabetes nurse once a year to get weighed and have my feet checked, blood checked every three months ( only if the nurse can get it out of my hand in under two goes, most times they give up) no other input apart from these forums and DiabetesUK.
I don't stick 100% to LCHF probably 80/20 but have lost a stone and a half so far would probably lose more if I was stricter but I'm happy and so is my GP.

Thanks, I presume you live in Norfolk by your username.

I live in Gorleston (next door to Great Yarmouth) so maybe I will be lucky. I think I'll give it a go for a month before I try, then hopefully my GP can see I've lost weight and not moan at me for stopping seeing their dietitian :)

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
First although some people here didn't find the lowcarbprogram helpful I have - and the good news is that you can now get it 'prescribed' by your GP in England. I don't know anyone who's tried that yet but I assume it means you don't have to pay (it's a one off fee, then you are a member for life).
Apart from the online food diary there are recipes, advice, support, ...

And low carb is definitely the way - all the research shows it works for both diabetes remission/improvement and for better cholesterol and blood fat levels. One things to note is that you need your GP to check your metformin as most people find they need to reduce the level of drugs as they get established on this.

Eggs - the advice to restrict eggs was overturned ages ago. They do not raise blood fats.
Blood sugar and carbs - the amount of carbs you eat is not the same as the amount of pure sugar. Milk contains carbs, vegetables contain carbs (some a lot more than others, eg potatoes), some fruits are better than others and most programmes advise berry fruits.
Oats have a lot of carbs, as does bread/rice/etc.

I've been diagnosed 6 weeks, been on low (not very low) carbs since then and I'm controlling it just by diet. I love chocolate and sugary things but I really want to avoid any more drugs (I'm on drugs for fibromylgia, migraine, asthma, arthritis, allergic rhinitis, plus prescribed vit B and D) and the diabetic complications.
By week 2 my fasting blood was 5.2 and post breakfast 7.8. My fasting blood various between 5.1 and 5.3 now. Daytime is a max of 7.7.

Thanks,

Your drug list seems similar to mine, I was prescribed high dose of Vit D and am now taking over the counter daily.
Have recently had two total knee replacements due to arthritis and have severe arthritis on both top and bottom of my spine.
Neurologist years ago put me on anti depressants for migraines and it cut them down from days to hours.
Then years later ended up with depression and tablets were changed.
Then no tablet stopped my back pain so they changed my antidepressants to one called Duloxitine that also helps pain by doing something to the nerves.

My current meds are:

50 mg Cyclizine Hydrochloride 3 times a day and when needed (anti sickness as I'm nauseous 24/7)

Metformin 500g 3 times a day

40 mg Simvastatin once a day (cholesterol)

50 micrograms Nasonex nasal spray, twice a day (sinus problems)

30mg Lansoprazole if needed twice a day (anti acids, had a nissen fundoplication for hiatus hernia but still often need them although when I do, it's just at night)

Ventolin/Salbutamol 100 micrograms whenever needed
Fostair 100micrograms/dose / 6 micrograms/dose inhaler. One puff twice a day (Asthma, coughing not breathing dificulties)

Allopurinol 100mg Two once a day
Colchicine 500 micrograms twice a day (Gout)

Ultrabase cream, use instead of soap

Duloxetine 30MG Three times a day (well 30g in morning and 60g in evening) (anti depression and pain)

I'm also on one other med that I wont say on this forum, but it is a side effect of diabetes :)

I also suffer from short term memory issues, if I remember, I remember 100% accurately. If I'm thinking hard, I also do. But the example I always give is after my knee op, I asked my wife if she could get my meds as they are now due, and she replied "I just got them, you took them literally 3 minutes ago" and I had zero clue. Things like that happen a few times a week. I've had a MRI on my head, all is fine, it's something to do with my CFS/ME

Am under the pain clinic at the hospital for my back and have just been referred to "Extended Scope Spinal Physiotherapy" at my local hospital by the pain clinic as apparently a normal Physio is no good with a back like mine.

And I'm also under a CBT therapist with Wellbeing for my depression, and am on a waiting list for some other therapy with them (forgotten what) . My depression score is PHQ9: 18, and my anxiety scale is GAD7: 13

So I'm doing well for 54 years old :)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I see a lot of people here are advocating the Diabetes.co.uk low carb programme, but unfortunately they have recently decided to start charging for access. There are pages on Facebook, which are free and very helpful, and also contain a load of extremely helpful knowledge. I use one called 'Type2 Diabetes Rebels'. It's American, but has members from all over the world, and I have to say I have learned a huge amount through being on that page. They have a food list, various charts and viseos to explain the group philosophy, which is low carb high fat eating(under 20g carbs per day).
It is a very helpful group, with admins who are extremely knowledgeable, but takes no prisoners. It's a tough love approach, so don't expect any sympathy, but it really worked wonders for me. I have followed their way of eating for nearly a year now, reduced my HBA1c to 42 , and reduced medications as well. The high fat way of eating would probably suit you, and after a few months on this diet, you should see ldl cholesterol levels and triglycerides fall, while hdl levels increase. It also helps with fatty liver disease, and other issues. An added bonus for many people is more or less effortless weight loss, while not feeling hungry. I'd say have a look at their pages, they are free and won't cost anything. they have comprehensive files, so most of your questions can be answered by looking there.
I believe in some areas GPs can also refer you to similar programmes to the LCHF one here, but they may require some kind of financial outlay.

You can only try it. A word of advice, you don't need to tell your GP that it's LCHF, just say you've changed your diet. I sometimes find as soon as you mention LCHF, they seem to blank you.....

Good luck, you can do this!

Anncdw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. New here, please bare with me.

At the moment I am a confused mess as to what sort of diet to follow. I'm a man who weighs about 125kg (19 1/2 stone) and am 54.

Bearing in mind at 34 I also weighed about this and have spent the last 20 years on and off trying every single diet under the sun, and while I can loose a stone or two very very quickly on almost any diet, I can put it back on extremely fast as soon as I stop following one.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a couple of weeks before Christmas 2017 but also have numerous other health issues and haven't been able to work for a long time now. I take Metformin 3 times a day.

Some of these are CFS/ME, chronic back pain, sleep problems due to pain and depression, and any sort of stress physically exhausts me (part of my CFS/ME), plus a few other problems.

I'm also in a lot of debt (due to health issues) and get zero benefits (long story).

So the reality is, I can stick to any diet for a few days, then I get a letter/email from one of my many creditors or debt collection agency, by the time I sort that out, I'm so stressed and tired that I think "whats the point in living if I'm getting this **** every day and I cant enjoy myself, sod it" and eat stuff I shouldn't eat, and drink what I shouldn't drink, just as a way of coping.

That's the brief outline of my health.

A few weeks before I was diagnosed, he GP sent me to their in house dietitian who I was seeing every two weeks. SHe doesn't want me to follow any diet plan as such, just record what I eat, try to eat things that are low fat (green labels on food) and for instance suggested something like

Poridge for breakfast

Omlett of some kind made with 3 egg whites but only 1 yolk

Two potatoes that each fit in the palm of my hand, veg and whatever, but try to limit red meat to two or three times max a week.

And over time I lost 1/2 stone, put it back on, lost it again and now must have put it back on.

My GP sent me to a diabetic course called Desmond which I had in March, and while I found it interesting and useful, as far as diet goes, I'm not too sure.

Desmond told me to look at the Carbs on any item of food, divide that by 3, that roughly give the sugar carb amount, and keep the result under 70 a day

When I started doing this on the diet sheet my dietitian wanted me to fill out, she was totally confused, admitted she knows nothing about what Desmond teach, but also commented that instead of dividing the carbs by three and not exceeding 70, wouldn't it be easier to not divide and not go over 210.

I stopped going to her a couple of months ago due to me being really down and depressed, I could go back at any time, but I know she wont/doesn't understand/ doesn't agree with the diets I've been reading and watching about regarding Type 2, she is really friendly and supportive though..

I understand that Desmond is talking about the carbs turning into sugar, but it's still sort of confusing.

Desomnd say I can eat 70 carbs of sugar a day (210 total carbs in food divided by 3)

Looking at the internet, it appears 1 gram of sugar = 1 carb
It also appears 1 teaspoon of sugar = 4 grams of sugar (or 4 carbs)

So 70 divided by 4 mean s that according to Desomnd I can eat 17.5 teaspoons of sugar a day.

So I finish my second week at Desmond, get home, read the BBC news page and the first thing that catches my eye is an article that says a blueberry muffin contains 8 teaspoons of sugar when the recommended intake for adults is 7.

So BBC say 7 max, Desmond say 17.5, I realise Desmond are talking about carbs turning into sugar, but this and everything else doesn't help.

Now I come to diet.

My blood pressure is normally fine despite my weight.

Last time I had a check, HbA1c was 55, and my blood pressure was 135/72

I cant remember how much, but my liver levels were also raised

My Cholesterol is OK now but I am on tablets

I need to get into gear, take my diet seriously, and stick to it.

So I start hunting for advice. I watch the recent thing on the TV where they feed patients horrible looking shakes for 8 weeks and think NO

I read this forum and they seem to recommend a low carb diet (haven't yet worked out how low yours is compared to what Desmond told me).

While I appreciate people need to make a living and normally have no qualm about paying for things, I have zero money at the moment, cant even afford to pay creditors £1 a month token payment, so it's kind of annoying coming to a diabetes forum for support and having to pay to get access to the diet they are pushing (but do understand we cant expect people to work for nothing).

I also see on this forum, a lot of support for low carb high fat (a sort of Atkins?) diets.

One of the many problems I have with diets over the years is no matter how many people tell me once my pallet gets used to abc, I will stop craving for xyz, it simply isn't like that for me. I could follow a vegetarian diet for 3 years and would still dream of the day I can have a pork pie or chip shop fish and chips.

I like the taste of fatty food. A joint of meat cooked with no fat on is flavourless.

And I read one site that says I don't have to worry about cholesterol in egg yolks at the same time my dietitian is telling me to limit the yolks to 1 due to cholesterol.

Etc etc etc, I hope you can see why I'm a confused mess.

Part of me thinks low carb high fat will suit me very very well. But if I've already got a bit of a fatty liver (I think the GP mentioned fats) wouldn't that likely cause me more harm?

I also have to see my GP fairly regularly, she's going to moan at me not seeing their dietitian, neither will approve of low carb high fat, both go on about a balanced diet, plate split into veg, carbs etc.

Any ideas what I should try next as it's 8 months since I was diagnosed and I probably haven't lost an ounce?

Many thanks for your time.
I know what you mean, I have had a lot of contrasting advice recently

Anncdw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, posted too soon ! My added problem is that I am vegetarian, and most diets seem to include meat and fish. No one, including the Desmond course, had much of an idea about this. The Desmond course didn’t suit me either.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.

At the moment I am a confused mess as to what sort of diet to follow. I'm a man who weighs about 125kg (19 1/2 stone) and am 54.

Bearing in mind at 34 I also weighed about this and have spent the last 20 years on and off trying every single diet under the sun, and while I can loose a stone or two very very quickly on almost any diet, I can put it back on extremely fast as soon as I stop following one.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a couple of weeks before Christmas 2017 but also have numerous other health issues and haven't been able to work for a long time now. I take Metformin 3 times a day.

Some of these are CFS/ME, chronic back pain, sleep problems due to pain and depression, and any sort of stress physically exhausts me (part of my CFS/ME), plus a few other problems.

I'm also in a lot of debt (due to health issues) and get zero benefits (long story).

So the reality is, I can stick to any diet for a few days, then I get a letter/email from one of my many creditors or debt collection agency, by the time I sort that out, I'm so stressed and tired that I think "whats the point in living if I'm getting this **** every day and I cant enjoy myself, sod it" and eat stuff I shouldn't eat, and drink what I shouldn't drink, just as a way of coping.

A few weeks before I was diagnosed, he GP sent me to their in house dietitian who I was seeing every two weeks. SHe doesn't want me to follow any diet plan as such, just record what I eat, try to eat things that are low fat (green labels on food) and for instance suggested something like

Poridge for breakfast

Two potatoes that each fit in the palm of my hand, veg and whatever, but try to limit red meat to two or three times max a week.

And over time I lost 1/2 stone, put it back on, lost it again and now must have put it back on.

My GP sent me to a diabetic course called Desmond which I had in March, and while I found it interesting and useful, as far as diet goes, I'm not too sure.

Desmond told me to look at the Carbs on any item of food, divide that by 3, that roughly give the sugar carb amount, and keep the result under 70 a day

When I started doing this on the diet sheet my dietitian wanted me to fill out, she was totally confused, admitted she knows nothing about what Desmond teach, but also commented that instead of dividing the carbs by three and not exceeding 70, wouldn't it be easier to not divide and not go over 210.

I stopped going to her a couple of months ago due to me being really down and depressed, I could go back at any time, but I know she wont/doesn't understand/ doesn't agree with the diets I've been reading and watching about regarding Type 2, she is really friendly and supportive though..

I understand that Desmond is talking about the carbs turning into sugar, but it's still sort of confusing.

Desomnd say I can eat 70 carbs of sugar a day (210 total carbs in food divided by 3)

So 70 divided by 4 mean s that according to Desomnd I can eat 17.5 teaspoons of sugar a day.

So I finish my second week at Desmond, get home, read the BBC news page and the first thing that catches my eye is an article that says a blueberry muffin contains 8 teaspoons of sugar when the recommended intake for adults is 7.

So BBC say 7 max, Desmond say 17.5, I realise Desmond are talking about carbs turning into sugar, but this and everything else doesn't help.

Now I come to diet.

So I start hunting for advice. I watch the recent thing on the TV where they feed patients horrible looking shakes for 8 weeks and think NO

I read this forum and they seem to recommend a low carb diet (haven't yet worked out how low yours is compared to what Desmond told me).

While I appreciate people need to make a living and normally have no qualm about paying for things, I have zero money at the moment, cant even afford to pay creditors £1 a month token payment, so it's kind of annoying coming to a diabetes forum for support and having to pay to get access to the diet they are pushing (but do understand we cant expect people to work for nothing).

I also see on this forum, a lot of support for low carb high fat (a sort of Atkins?) diets.

One of the many problems I have with diets over the years is no matter how many people tell me once my pallet gets used to abc, I will stop craving for xyz, it simply isn't like that for me. I could follow a vegetarian diet for 3 years and would still dream of the day I can have a pork pie or chip shop fish and chips.

I like the taste of fatty food. A joint of meat cooked with no fat on is flavourless.

And I read one site that says I don't have to worry about cholesterol in egg yolks at the same time my dietitian is telling me to limit the yolks to 1 due to cholesterol.

Part of me thinks low carb high fat will suit me very very well. But if I've already got a bit of a fatty liver (I think the GP mentioned fats) wouldn't that likely cause me more harm?

I also have to see my GP fairly regularly, she's going to moan at me not seeing their dietitian, neither will approve of low carb high fat, both go on about a balanced diet, plate split into veg, carbs etc.

Any ideas what I should try next as it's 8 months since I was diagnosed and I probably haven't lost an ounce?

Wow, what can I say except sorry that you're having such a rubbish time right now. I'm type 2, I'm on insulin and metformin, I've lost 3 1/3 stone in weight in the last 2 years (now 13 1/2 stone and trying to loose some more). I've halved my meds and I feel great. My advice is to go as low carb as possible, I don't count my carbs but I am ware of the general carb content of most foods (and avoid them if I can), unfortunately for most of us the stuff we like (and tastes good) is carb heavy, and I don't deny that giving it up is very very hard. Things to give up right now, immediately, are: potatoes, breakfast cereals, bread (all kinds), pasta and rice, also you need to give up on anything made with flour (any 'colour' with or without seeds/grains etc.) so that's cakes and biscuits, pastries etc., and you need to give up anything that has an obviously high sugar content like sweets, juice, fizzy drinks and chocolate. I can hear your response... you've got to be joking, there isn't much left you're saying, but if you look around there is a lot left, and you need to be a little creative with your food choices. Good choices are meat, fish, cheese, butter, nuts, eggs, vegetables, salads, and some fruits in small quantities. There's a lot to be said for some sausage bacon and eggs, with mushrooms (not beans) for breakfast, but not perhaps every day! Also there are sugar free sweets (in moderation of course) my favorite is a Worthers sugar free which I keep a few in the car and in my desk drawer (so that I don't binge on them), I've got to like dark chocolate too, it must be at least 70%, but only a couple of squares a day. Low carb eating doesn't have to be expensive, someone mentioned getting reduced prices on meat at the end of a day in the supermarket and I've done this when I can.
Final comment from me is about exercise and this is really important for all of us... I've always been fairly active at the weekends but I work in an office so when I get home I don't really want to do much but for the last couple of years I've forced myself to go out walking just about every day and I like it! It helps reduce stress, I like fresh air, I'm liking the exercise, I think it helps me sleep too. Some of my best walks have been in the snow, or when the snow has stopped, if its raining I take a big golf umbrella, I don't care what I might look like to other people. I recently joined Parkrun and I'm building up my stamina and I can now jog (I wouldn't call it running) for 5 K (under 3 miles) in about 32 minutes. Look up Parkrun on the internet and see if there is one near you, it is free, you don't even have to register if you don't want to, its not a 'club' that you have to have membership, you just turn up at the start at 9 am on a Saturday morning and you can just walk it. My wife can't run so while I run she walks, it is also great company, other people with body shapes just like you are trying to get fitter and healthier, nobody will be looking at you or judging you in any way (I don't really like Gym's like David Lloyd for example), the Parkun volunteers will encourage you every step of the way.
I wish you all the best.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, posted too soon ! My added problem is that I am vegetarian, and most diets seem to include meat and fish. No one, including the Desmond course, had much of an idea about this. The Desmond course didn’t suit me either.
www.dietdoctor.com has quite a few low carb vegetarian dishes..

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Look up Parkrun on the internet and see if there is one near you, it is free, you don't even have to register if you don't want to, its not a 'club' that you have to have membership, you just turn up at the start at 9 am on a Saturday morning and you can just walk it. My wife can't run so while I run she walks, it is also great company, other people with body shapes just like you are trying to get fitter and healthier, nobody will be looking at you or judging you in any way (I don't really like Gym's like David Lloyd for example), the Parkun volunteers will encourage you every step of the way.
I wish you all the best.

Many thanks for all your advice. For me beer will be the hardest thing :)

I've just discovered sugar free jelly at Morrisons so that's setting in the fridge with a tub of double cream to go with it :)

My knees don't bend more than 90 degrees since having them replaced and I'm not allowed to run (not that I could if I wanted to), likewise I can't cycle due to this

But as part of my back problems, I've been advised to go swimming as much as possible, I aim to go 3 times a week, but sometimes due to other health issues, a week or two go buy without going once. But when I do go, I generally swim for about an hour. I say swim, I manage to go up and down, but I probably look pretty stupid doing it :)

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diets going well so far. Egg and bacon for lunch.

Weighed out 200g of cabbage and 100g of Courgettes for dinner along with some form of meat the past couple of days and I've felt full.

I even fill full now and it's 10am and I haven't eaten yet.

Printed out a ton of meals but going to have to wait for the weekend to go through them all with my loverly other half and get the spices etc to go with them.

Many many thanks for everyone's advice.

Unless replying to someone I'll probably start a new thread for any other help (which I'm sure I will need)

Royal Mails tracking is useless. It tells me they will only update (the current zero information) when they attempt to deliver it. So not sure when my Codefree is arriving (bound to come in the two hours I'm out today)

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Poridge for breakfast

Now I come to diet.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
O Mate.
You do have a lot going on.
I’m only recently got diagnosed and I’m finding it all very hard to cope with. I know what you mean about thinking about (in my case ) bread and buns.
I’m sick of salad, it doesn’t help how it one makes them special nuts melon etc. It’s still salad.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to give advice.
Just to say slot find it difficult the LCHF.
But apparently this diet is supposed to improve health. Give it a try maybe for a month. Then judge if it’s for you.
All the best my friend. Good luck