Anyone With Type 1 And No Complications

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone i wanted to ask is there any type 1 with no complications. apart from good blood sugar level what would you say helped you stay complication free.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I have some background retinopathy according to the letter i received following annual retinal screening, but not enough to treat and I haven't noticed any differences. I started on insulin just over 41 years ago, but I think I'm a comparative newby from what I've read on some other threads x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I have no, or negligible, complications ions after 48 years. Negligible includes corrective surgery for cataracts (bionic lenses are wonderful) and a couple of kidney function scares which I think were due to dehydration or poor lab work. The latest kidney function tests show they’re working just fine.
I have no idea whether my blood sugar levels were good in the years following diagnosis as there was no way I could test them. However, I’ve tried to control the T1 roller coaster as well as possible since personal testing kits were available.
There’s research to suggest those who developed T1 after the age of 18 have a greater chance of some active beta cells left and also a greater chance of avoiding complications.

K

Knikki

I'm bit like @Grumpy ole thing, although been on insulin for a tad bit long, yep bit of the old background retinopathy but other than that still all here and still got my appendix :p

Other than that:

Don't be afraid to try anything,
Don't be afraid to try and eat anything and everything but always be aware of what that double chocolate fudge cake with ice cream will do to your BS later on ;)
Listen to what your body is telling you, you're really thirsty could be high BS or feeling rather out of it could be low BS.
Ask questions.
Be up front with people about being a diabetic, sometimes your best friend, girl friend, boy friend will pick up on things you don't.
Get regular check ups either hospital, DSN, GP and Opticians.

Diabetes is a game with the object of the game to try and keep with in the numbers, however you will not always achieve this (look in the some of the other threads 'Type1 Stars R Us' to see this for many of us long term T1D) but don't worry or beat yourself up about it, it is just part of who you are. Things will throw curve balls at you that throws your control off but everything can be over come with just a little patients and thought.

Oh and don't listen to old **** :pompous: :playful:that whittle on to much :D

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A duff colon but that not diabetes related... cancer.. not diabetes...
nothing else directly related to diabetes, although had carpel tunnel, dequervains and liner nerve damage....

Haven’t been an angel!!! Done low carb though for vast majority of my life. Younger days preferred fun rather than diabetes. Now 54 and well n truly heading to 40 years.....

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
27 yrs T1 and only occasionally told of background retinopathy which clears the following year.
Certain aches and pains which I attribute to age, lifestyle and past demeanours.
I suffer with rotator cuff problems in my shoulders.
Some reports I’ve read say this can be down to diabetes, other reports say the problem is common with men my age.
Add to this I have over many years of lifting “ silly “ weights probably caused a lot of the problems myself.
I feel it can be easy for us to blame diabetes, when actually it’s something that would have happened anyway.
Only my rambling thoughts:):)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Are you calling me macho?;);)
Me thinks you are a little minx.:):)

Nah, just an old woman who’s seen it all: what lovely rotator cuffs you’ve got my dear . . . .

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nah, just an old woman who’s seen it all: what lovely rotator cuffs you’ve got my dear . . . .
Hey now let’s have less of the “old”
Perhaps I could use my rotator cuffs to impress even more ladies.
“Do you fancy a coffee at my pad and I’ll let you listen to my cuffs clicking” :):)

Reactions: Fairygodmother