1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone With Type 1 And No Complications

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by static192, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm 6.5 years in and no complications so far.

I aim for tight control all the time (non-diabetic levels) , then if do I get complications I can at least say I've tried my hardest and have no regrets.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not at all, helensaramay, I was just trying to diminish our readiness to see every physical problem as being as result of T1. I’ve encountered many people who don’t have T1 yet develop conditions such as cataracts, carpal tunnel, rotator cuff injury, trigger finger et al, but we often seem to think that they happen to us because of T1.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. buckmr2

buckmr2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

46 yrs T1

No complications currently

Have had laser and eye injections but not for a few years.
    Eat and drink what I want when I want and just inject as needed
    Libre trial I've been on for 4 months (out of 6) is a help as has changing from Novorapid to quicker acting Fiasp to help keep in target range quicker.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

6 years diagnosed and had background retinopathy around 3 years after diagnosis which went then came back this year, apart from that have had tendonitis in my shoulder and thumbs which I related direct to my T1 but since i've started running last year it's gone :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nearly 37 years Type 1. Main complications I have is neuropathy but that is also due to twenty years alcoholic drinking (haven't drank for fourteen and a half years) but apart from that all is good. Background retinopathy has now gone, Eye consultant told me three months ago my eyes are grade A considering being Type 1 for so long. Have never had any laser surgery on either eye.

No real routine, fundamentally eat whatever I want (within reason) and just give whatever I need insulin wise. Have never carb counted once. Have been fortunate considering..

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jayden2407

Jayden2407 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

If I restrain myself from spitting in the gym, will that stop me from becoming macho or will it just stop you identifying me?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'll have had T1 35 years in October and have a little background retinopathy, and receding gums copying my hairline, but I smoke, mild carpal tunnel in my left wrist but that's from guitar barre chords rather than sugar and I've broken the wrist twice fighting playing rugby, my shoulders click and can stiffen but the worst side was dislocated once over again playing rugby and when I was heavier I lifted heavier, and I' hurt my right one bouncing down the M1 at 70mph when I fell off my Vespa :) I swim 3-4km a week which can either help or hinder.

I've a dodgy left knee at the moment too :p but again not a complication.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. jazzyone

jazzyone Type 1 · Member

42years and no complications due to good blood sugars, a bit over weight and finding it hard to lose it but that probably age related too

• Like Like x 4
  10. gillianoleary

gillianoleary Type 1 · Member

44 with 42 years under my belt. No complications just lots of other autoimmune disorders.
    Fighting fit, LCHF diet, don’t drink or smoke (I have done both)!!
    Any ailments usually a result of coming off my bicycle!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @static192 ,

Just had my "diaversary." Diagnosed on my 8th birthday 42 years ago... All appendages accounted for.
    Currently treated successfully for a macula oedema.. Abated & kept an eye on.. (They always "blame it on the boogie" when you're diabetic.) ;)
    No other probs. "Wedding department" like a teen.! :D (Scrub that. Better than a teen. Lol, better D managed.)

• Like Like x 2
  12. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry but that would need a second opinion from your better half.:):):):)

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. therower

With all the positivity you bring I would feel honoured to have you spit in my gym.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It could hand over the tablet & get her to verify. But she's quite demure with the open interweb on that "subject".. ;)
    Trust me. I'm a "Mod." Lol....:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. therower

:)
    Cuts no ice. I was a “Rocker” LOL....:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ni @static192 , 51 years on insulin: cataracts replaced 6 years ago, carpal tunnel release L and R, 22 years ago, trigger fingers releases 20 and 4 years ago. Nil else. Living in Australia MIGHT have advanced the timing of the cataracts.
    Kidneys, heart, bone density, peripheral circulation all OK. A suspicion that I might have some blood pressure drop related to possible autonomic neuropathy but not a definite diagnosis at this stage.
    I walk with weights for exercise, fly and make kites and do not drink alcohol. (my superego would dissolve in the latter!).
    When younger ( and less sane) I participated in week long canoe trips and hiking trips, cycled and swam.
    I think exercise helped and helps me stay healthy, and trying to plan ahead, keep sane and happy all help.
    Of course, genetics and luck are also involved.

• Like Like x 2
  17. static192

static192 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

wow you guys are in really good shape great to hear you guys are doing well. would you guys say exercise helped alot to prevent complications a friend of mines was saying addition to insulin/medication exercise such as weight training and cardio can help greatly help prevent diabetes complications what are your views on this

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had T1D for just short of 42 years. I don't really have any complications, though it has caused me some stress over the years, which seems to reduce significantly the longer I use Freestyle Libre. All that stress has created quite a few complications, but I don't think they are the ones you're asking about.

I wouldn't put it down to brilliant control though, though I don't know really. For some reasons I seem to remember the high blood sugars far more than the normal range blood sugars, looking back I can't remember any, but there must have been some. I just don't remember them, so I might be thinking my control was worse than it really was.

However, there are three things that I think have been important, as well as reasonable blood sugar control. One is luck, some people are just luckier with their genes than others. I think some people are just more prone to some complications.

Another is I've always walked a lot, and the third is that I have always really liked fruit and veg, and eat a lot of it. The bio-active compounds in fruit and veg, are apparently neuro-protective.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · BANNED

I've had shoulder and neck problems, (pinched nerves and arthrosis, doctor said could be type 1 related) but those went away when I started running again recently too. Running is great. Avoiding weights though, that's how I got into shoulder pains when I young, lifted too many weights.

No permanent complications after 25 years of type 1, perfect kidney function, no retinopathy at all either but my vision did get blurry temporarily from a few months of concentrated bad sugars. Which turned out to be not so bad since my A1C was 6.1. But anyway, A1C doesn't tell the whole story, sugar variance can be poor even if your averages are great, which is why I wonder when people say they have super low A1C, if they achieve that via having lots of hypoglycemia to balance highs or are they just really well controlled. I hope it's the latter, as hypos are no joke and most endos tell their patients to not even try to get A1Cs below 6 for that reason.

Apparently some of the longest lived type 1s have A1Cs in the 7s. (Google "Golden Age Cohort"). I can only imagine how bad their sugars readings must be to have such a high A1C though. Risking my eyesight is not worth it, if I went blind that would be my worst nightmare, I'd probably check out early if that happened. That's the line in the sand that I will not cross.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PatB3031

PatB3031 · Newbie

Hi...56 years on insulin with no related issues. I remember being told that my frozen shoulders 25 years ago were diabetes related. Turns out it was using a rowing machine everyday for 3 years that did it...suprise suprise. Exercise is great for anyone and for diabetics I believe very important. Everyone is so different understanding your own body and its reactions to medication, foods and exercise will be the only way to bring whatever level of stability you want to achieve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook