Vitamin C

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning one and all. I seem to be feeling a bit under the weather with what I think is a stress induced virus ( Cold sore, mouth ulcers, generally feeling tired/ unwell) and want to increase my Vitamin C to help fight it off without increasing my blood sugars. I avoid fruits with seeds due to diverticular disease and don't want to take supplements if I can avoid them. Any suggestions for a natural source of Vit. C would be more than welcome. Many thanks.:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Broccoli, Bell peppers and Kale are great sources of vitC. Get well soon.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Broccoli, Bell peppers and Kale are great sources of vitC. Get well soon.
Thanks, Guzzler. I love broccoli and it's on the menu tonight with fresh hake and cauliflower. Unfortunately peppers don't like me and I've never tried kale. Must look out for it next time we shop. Thanks again for your suggestions.:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, Guzzler. I love broccoli and it's on the menu tonight with fresh hake and cauliflower. Unfortunately peppers don't like me and I've never tried kale. Must look out for it next time we shop. Thanks again for your suggestions.:)

Kale is not to everyone's taste so don't buy a shedload of it but most of the green leafy vegetables have good levels of vitC. Enjoy your meal, sound delicious.

M

Moggely

It's a shame about the supplements dogslife . I just started vitamin c ascorbic acid. Half a teaspoon in a glass of water each day. I bought it from the health store and it hasn't raised my levels at all. But i understand you wanting to go all natural. I do the lchf and thought a little vitamin c would be helpful.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a shame about the supplements dogslife . I just started vitamin c ascorbic acid. Half a teaspoon in a glass of water each day. I bought it from the health store and it hasn't raised my levels at all. But i understand you wanting to go all natural. I do the lchf and thought a little vitamin c would be helpful.
Thanks, Moggely. I was trying to avoid taking even more tablets than I already do but I hadn't thought of powder form of Vit C. I might try that. Thanks again.:)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmmm...........it'd be good to avoid cooking the vegetables if you can. Bell peppers are quite nice raw, or I like them, anyway, How about using lemon juice, you can squeeze a lemon and maybe use the juice in a drink, or as a salad dressing, mixed with olive oil, on some lettuce, with some bell peppers in.

Olive oil apparently helps us absorb nutrients, and is super healthy, it says here.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Please read all of the information on the back of the packaging. Some supplements include carbs (especially tablets, which often have a sugar based coating).

M

Moggely

Please read all of the information on the back of the packaging. Some supplements include carbs (especially tablets, which often have a sugar based coating).
@Guzzler I only use the pure powdered form and I don't know if you have it in the UK I got this from the health store after a real good search about it, no additives, is pure vitamin c but i know many supplements do have carbs and additives and the like and if you can get it by food all the better. I bought this after getting shingles and immune system low and doing low carb I thought it could be beneficial.

M

Moggely

Thanks, Moggely. I was trying to avoid taking even more tablets than I already do but I hadn't thought of powder form of Vit C. I might try that. Thanks again.:)
@dogslife I completely understand about not wanting to take extra tablets and I'm not sure what diverticular disease is but the powered-ed form is very natural and was around many many years ago but now all these good things are in the health store. So if it affects your diverticular disease then of course it wouldn't be good to take it. Good luck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a list of the 20 fruits and vegetables that contain vitamin C... https://draxe.com/vitamin-c-foods/

Glad you're open to the powdered form. In the past, I've taken 500 mg at a time, usually 2 to 3 times a day when I have a virus. According to the linked article, you can take up to 2,000 mg per day without side effects. (If you exceed your "bowel tolerance" of vitamin C, you'll develop diarrhea).

Vitamin C is water soluable, so it's best to take it multiple times a day, because what's not used is lost through our urine. I take it until I'm feeling better.

My personal low carb favorite for vitamin C is lemons. I make lemonade with stevia, water, and sparkling water. :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @dogslife,
I think the myth that extra vitamin C helps colds etc was debunked long ago.
As @Winnie53 notes, being low in zinc has been suggested as a problem in some persons with cold sores.
The 'newer' kid on the block for anti-viral effect is Vitamin D ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308600.
A health professional can best advise on what are safe doses if one wishes to use Vitamin D supplementation.
Of course in summertime we tend to get more vitamin D made in our skin with sun exposure, unless we cover up a lot etc.
I hope you recover your health soon.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you all for your responses. The are very helpful. You are all so kind and full of useful/ interesting information. Have a good week one and all. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, vitamin D is critically important, but don't be so quick to throw vitamin C under the bus.

After a two week bout with influenza, I did a lot of looking around to see what nutritional supplement strategy would be useful. I was very ill. Since that time, I've added vitamin C to my daily regimen. It's plays many important roles in the daily maintennance of the body and in healing. Read more here...

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002404.htm

Last edited:
M

Moggely

I agree, vitamin D is critically important, but don't be so quick to throw vitamin C under the bus.

After a two week bout with influenza, I did a lot of looking around to see what nutritional supplement strategy would be useful. I was very ill. Since that time, I've added vitamin C to my daily regimen. It's plays many important roles in the daily maintennance of the body and in healing. Read more here...

@Winnie53 I'm with you on that, vitamin D is critical but there are times when vitamin c needs to be added as my ummine system was very low and i had a few issues going on at once so needless to say, Like you, I have added that daily.With vitamin D3 and K2. Good site you posted as well.

Reactions: dogslife

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Thank you Winnie53. An interesting article.:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vitamin D should not be taken by anyone with high serum calcium
Carol

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carty could you provide more information? What conditions cause high serum calcium levels? By the way, I didn't intend to discuss vitamin D, but I take it with vitamin A, K2 (MK-7), and magnesium. I do not supplement with calcium.

@Moggely I agree, vitamin C is important. High doses are given to cancer patients intravenously here in the US, more specifically at some cancer treatment centers. I've also read can be useful in treating serious infections that aren't responding to antibiotic treatment alone.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take quite a lot of what Berg says with a pinch of salt, but here, about Vit C, I think he is spot on.
Well worth a few minutes of your time to watch this: