No Gallbladder And Fats

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i only lost my gallbladder months before being diagnosed. It was for agonising biliary colic attack’s due to a lot of stones but few problems in between those strong attacks ie very little indigestion etc. . Generally after the initial settling down it’s not been to bad, just the odd loose event usually isolated and not even seeming to relate to a particular food or meal.

However since going low carb/keto I’m getting the same indigestion crampy/sore pain around the centre of my body just at the bottom of the ribs (gastric). I’m actually getting more of this now than I did with the dodgy gallbladder. Is it the high fats? Tonight definitely was a high fat meal. Maybe I usually spread it through the day better thus can deal with it better. Any other tips ? Suggestions ? It’s really not very pleasant.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only tell of personal experience. No gall bladder.
Delicious though those fats are, I have to be careful about too much. For me, I can either have coffee and small amount of cream, or eat meat with the fat on. Cannot do both in same day. I am ok if the fats are from nuts or avocado, but I found out the hard way that bullet proof coffee and cream and butter with everything leaves me creased with pain, and needing to stay close to the toilet. It was a case of trial and error to get the balance right.

Reactions: HSSS

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no gall bladder and can relate to the heartburn and ‘loose’ events.
I had my gall bladder removed years ago when I wasn’t diabetic. Following removal I suffered very badly with indigestion and was prescipribed esomeprazole (Nexium) that controlled it really well and I only needed Gaviscon ocassionally. I also suffered a great deal from the loose events, I tried taking Questran but although it worked, it was horrible stuff to take so I resorted to Imodium when necessary.
In my case since going low carb but moderate fat (not high) I haven’t touched the Gaviscon and have considered coming off the esomeprazole, something I need to ask the dr about. As for the other end low carb eating tends to send me the other way so problem solved luckily!
Another thing to consider is it is possible to have gall stones reoccur, about ten years after I had my gallbladder removed I kept getting colicky like pains again! I thought I was going mad! I had it investigated and on scan there was a stone in what was left of my biliary tract, it was removed via endoscopy. Never will know if it was one left from before or if it was a new one.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no gall bladder and can relate to the heartburn and ‘loose’ events.
I had my gall bladder removed years ago when I wasn’t diabetic. Following removal I suffered very badly with indigestion and was prescipribed esomeprazole (Nexium) that controlled it really well and I only needed Gaviscon ocassionally. I also suffered a great deal from the loose events, I tried taking Questran but although it worked, it was horrible stuff to take so I resorted to Imodium when necessary.
In my case since going low carb but moderate fat (not high) I haven’t touched the Gaviscon and have considered coming off the esomeprazole, something I need to ask the dr about. As for the other end low carb eating tends to send me the other way so problem solved luckily!
Another thing to consider is it is possible to have gall stones reoccur, about ten years after I had my gallbladder removed I kept getting colicky like pains again! I thought I was going mad! I had it investigated and on scan there was a stone in what was left of my biliary tract, it was removed via endoscopy. Never will know if it was one left from before or if it was a new one.

Thanks. I was on omeprazole before the op intermittently but stopped because one it didn’t address the colic and two I didn’t actually have the reflux they said I did. Also many cases of reflux are caused by low acid not high and it actually does more harm than good and then there are the side effects to consider including food absorption issues and therefore deficiencies. It seems I need to pace and moderate my fats. I can do a bit at a go it seems but slow and steady would seem to be the way with some gas is on as backup.

My cholesterol has shot up since the gallbladder op and whilst Im Sceptical about the whole cholesterol scare and refuse to take statins it does show me I’m not processing fats the way I should be. This is really my only concern for lchf.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try stopping anything with onion or tomatoes, if you eat them...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always eaten both with no problems. Are you suggesting I may now react when I didn’t before? Can’t see why gallbladder would affect those, could low carb?

Suffolk gal

Mmm, interesting thread. I had my gallbladder out almost 9 years ago. My cholesterol has crept up since and was deemed high when I was diagnosed diabetic T2 5 weeks ago.

Reactions: Bingale1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In two years my trig went from 0.8 to 2.8 and ldl from 3.9 to 5. Hdl unchanged. It wasn’t tested in between During this time I’ve had numerous surgeries and stress as well as some weight gain and now diabetes. Six months before the recent test I had my gallbladder out and Two months before the last lipids test I lost half my thyroid (careless I know) due to a cancer scare. This has resulted in a surge of tsh trying to keep up which can also raise cholesterol. So more suspects beyond the eating too much fat nhs suspect. Official opinion isn’t that gallbladder removal doesn’t raise lipids beyond minimal and insignificant levels. Mmm don’t think I’ve found enough evidence yet to be convinced. I think all these issues are connected and one had led to another by holistic care via the nhs just isn’t going to happen.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And it’s back again after a deliberately lower fat meal to test the theory. Salad and small lean steak. So maybe it’s not the fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And it’s back again after a deliberately lower fat meal to test the theory. Salad and small lean steak. So maybe it’s not the fat

Did you have any onion or tomato??

Sometimes in people with stomach / colon problems lettuce and leafy/stringy foods have to be avoided. Is I eat no salad at all, just mushy veg.

Since having no tomato/onion products at all, my body is so much better...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have any onion or tomato??

Sometimes in people with stomach / colon problems lettuce and leafy/stringy foods have to be avoided. Is I eat no salad at all, just mushy veg.

Since having no tomato/onion products at all, my body is so much better...
Oh I hope it’s not lettuce. I exist on salads

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh I hope it’s not lettuce. I exist on salads

If it’s indigestion heartburn unlikely to be the actual lettuce but if it wasn’t digesting they adequately it would come out while but wrapped up.... however anything with tomatoes or onion even in a sauce, gravy etc are out for me and I have no meds anymore for either my colon or full erosive gastritis. Just from eliminating those two items totally solved my heartburn. Acid reflux....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless there’s something about low carb that would cause this I don’t think it’s my issue and no signs of a lack of digestion of these items ‘at the end’ of the digestive process. Never had trouble with either before, it only in the last week. I’m glad you solved you’re problem though, I have heard of it before and it’s sounds a pain.