When To Call In Sick?

amelia98

hi all,
I’m just wondering whether or not to call in sick to work today as my sugars are not stabilising and giving me a headache, I think it’s to a possible throat infection as I have a sore throat and (tmi) green phlegm.

My sugars are on 14 at the moment but I had a hypo yesterday so it’s making me hesitant to over correct.

I haven’t called in sick in the year I’ve worked in my job so I’m hesitant. I was wondering if you guys have called in sick due to your sugars and at what point or bg reading you have done so.

I am 20 and have had type 1 diabetes for 11 months.

D

Deleted Account

We are all different and high or low BG affects us differently.
Only you can tell if you are able to work as you feel today.

As you hinted 14 is high and should be corrected.
I understand your reticence given yesterday's hypo but it will not go down on its own.
Perhaps you could give yourself a conservative correct. For example, aim for 8 rather than 6.

It is very likely that your sore throat is contributing to your high BG so it may also help if you could treat that too.
I find if my BG is high, any pain or illness is exaggerated. So whilst you keep your high BG untreated, your throat may feel worse.

Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

At 14? no I would not but as @helensaramay says we are all differnet.

Going out and going to work will help in getting the sugars down, but you will have to keep an eye on things, a small correction dose can go along way :)

Take care an lets us know how you get on.

amelia98

Thankyou all! Very helpful My blood is now down to 9 but I still have a pounding headache and my throat is killing, I’m thinking it’s not so much my diabetes causing the pain but the infection. Just worried about how this infection will affect my sugars. I’m at work at 4 and work behind a bar. Think I’m going to just go in and deal with it but feel like death Haha :)

Reactions: porl69
K

Knikki

Arh! missed the bit in the first post about the throat. :(

Yeah any infection will more than likely push your BSL's up, keep yourself hydrated and maybe something from a pharmacy to deal with the throat infection????

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, its all about how I am feeling and whether I could perform my duties........

my BG levels are irrelevant, as I would be correcting as normal if and when required....

so if you don't feel up to it, then that's when you should call...

amelia98

Arh! missed the bit in the first post about the throat. :(

Yeah any infection will more than likely push your BSL's up, keep yourself hydrated and maybe something from a pharmacy to deal with the throat infection????
Yeah I might have to make an appointment at the doctors before work and see if they have anything that’ll help, if not just buy some throat sweets and go tomorrow, thanks for your advice!:cat:

amelia98

My shift was fine, the aircon had broken behind the bar which was awful but Other than that ;), they sent a few of us home early to save hours woo.
7.5 mmol at the minute.
Thanks everyone x

binman1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
to much noise, WORK
hi all,
I’m just wondering whether or not to call in sick to work today as my sugars are not stabilising and giving me a headache, I think it’s to a possible throat infection as I have a sore throat and (tmi) green phlegm.

My sugars are on 14 at the moment but I had a hypo yesterday so it’s making me hesitant to over correct.

I haven’t called in sick in the year I’ve worked in my job so I’m hesitant. I was wondering if you guys have called in sick due to your sugars and at what point or bg reading you have done so.

I HAVE TYPE 2 , GOT TWO BAD INFECTIONS , I JUST GIVE UP , WENT SICK

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
way back in the 1970s I used to work in an open office, and there was a cold going round, so when I phoned in sick I was told to come in and stop malingering - so I went in. I felt dreadful but stuck it for two days, then went home early - the following week when I went back the entire office was deserted - everyone was down with the 'flu' - the office manager did not seem to understand that getting people to go in when they were ill was not a good idea.

Reactions: Knikki

Rachel_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've had Diabetes 35 years, only you (not bg tests) know how you feel in yourself, we have good days/weeks/months, but then something can knock us sideways easily, if you felt able to undertake duties and work to full capacity, then go to work, but don't' ever feel ashamed to look after yourself and your health. A healthy stable diabetic is better than an overworked, poorly diabetic trying to keep up appearances that all is ok.
Look after yourself and look out for the bug !!
Rachel

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
hi all,

Never have I called in sick about diabetes. If you are ill & have high bm s because of that it is different (infections raise blood glucose all on their own), you need to call in sick because of the illness.

lipalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I know this discussion was a while ago, I've just joined the forum, but I'm an HR Manager.

You should inform your employers that you are diabetic, which is covered under the disability discrimination act. If they don't know already, any sickness absence relating to your diabetes, should be monitored separately to other sickness absences.

For example, if you had a day off for a cold in December, and had blood sugar related sickness in January, these should be monitored separately, and not classed as two short term absences.

You should not be discriminated against due to your diabetes, including sickness. However, if you have had several sickness absences related to your diabetes, your employer is within their rights to discuss with you how to manage this, including capability procedures if very frequent.

Perhaps check with your employer if they a sickness policy, and ensure it includes a provision for disability related absence.

If you do feel you have been discriminated against due to your diabetes related sickness, contact ACAS or a union representative where appropriate.

Additionally, people think if they are are part time, short service, temp, bank, zero hours, or in non-professional job roles that they are exempt from this protection. This is untrue, your employer is legally obliged to treat you the same as any other employee.

Sorry for the long post, this one really grinds my gears!

lipalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I know this discussion was a while ago, I've just joined the forum, but I'm an HR Manager.

You should inform your employers that you are diabetic, which is covered under the disability discrimination act. If they don't know already, any sickness absence relating to your diabetes, should be monitored separately to other sickness absences.

For example, if you had a day off for a cold in December, and had blood sugar related sickness in January, these should be monitored separately, and not classed as two short term absences.

You should not be discriminated against due to your diabetes, including sickness. However, if you have had several sickness absences related to your diabetes, your employer is within their rights to discuss with you how to manage this, including capability procedures if very frequent.

Perhaps check with your employer if they a sickness policy, and ensure it includes a provision for disability related absence.

If you do feel you have been discriminated against due to your diabetes related sickness, contact ACAS or a union representative where appropriate.

Additionally, people think if they are are part time, short service, temp, bank, zero hours, or in non-professional job roles that they are exempt from this protection. This is untrue, your employer is legally obliged to treat you the same as any other employee.

Sorry for the long post, this one really grinds my gears!
*EA2010

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Ah, if only employers actually looked at WHY people went sick!.

I am Autistic. I need time off for stress. It all counts as sick absence despite my employer knowing and being covered under the DDA.
I am diabetic. They would not treat any "diabetic" absence as separate and given that (1) we operate a rolling sick leave and (b) I have no access to my sick record and have no idea how long I have been off or when, you take your life in your hands here if you go sick.