So Here's A Loaded Question!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I am two years and seven months into my diabetic journey, and have lost two stone over that time,
bringing my weight to normal levels for my height, and putting my medication (Metformin) to only one
per day over the last year. I feel well, eat low carb, and rarely experience my only ever diabetic symptom of
tingling fingertips.
However, I lost my lovely Mum two months ago, very suddenly, and as I was her main carer for four years, it is taking a while to come to terms with her not being there for me to look after every day.
I have a birthday coming up on Monday (6th) and I feel that I need a lift, so wish to have a little birthday tea with my daughter (still at home) ... but what can I have to feel a bit 'special' for one day, instead of feeling so sad?
My daughter suggests a birthday cake ... just a little one ... but would that be silly?
What do others do on their birthday, or other celebration?
I do so want a day that is different and I am not going out anywhere so a little special tea would be so nice

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have your birthday treat if it will lift your spirits. It is just one day out of the year don't let diabetes take it from you as long as you get back on track after wards. Every one deserves a treat on their special day you this year more so. I am sorry you lost your mum so recently and have been feeling so down. :(

But best wishes and many happy returns for Monday and hope you have an enjoyable day with your family and friends.:)

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mal37 sorry for your loss. Go for a nice birthday with a cake and whatever you fancy to lift your spirits:hungry:.:happy: You have done so well over the years so enjoy the day. It will also help cheer your daughter up.:clown: Happy birthday for Monday;)

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Have your birthday treat if it will lift your spirits. It is just one day out of the year don't let diabetes take it from you as long as you get back on track after wards. Every one deserves a treat on their special day you this year more so. I am sorry you lost your mum so recently and have been feeling so down. :(

But best wishes and many happy returns for Monday and hope you have an enjoyable day with your family and friends.:)
Thank you for such a lovely reply. My only 'family' now is my daughter, so it will be just the two of us x

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi Mal37. Like everyone else so sorry to hear about your mum:( always a sad thing i still miss mine 25 years later. Yes have a great birthday as you deserve that. Happy birthday for Monday.:)
Thank you so much :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about trifle?
Sugar free jelly, some fruit, real custard, really thick whipped cream, more fruit, a sprinkle of 100s and 1000s or a few edible pearls, or curls of high cocoa chocolate, or just chopped or grated if you don't want to faff about - maybe a chocolate dipped boudoir biscuit just for that extra something...
There are some nice low carb cracker recipes you might like to have some with cheeses, perhaps a cake substituting some of the flour - I would advise having far less sweetener than any recipe you find, as eating low carb corrects the taste buds, and often a recipe will be sweetened to what is 'normal' and it can be absolutely dreadful. If it is still really hot maybe some salad would be a good idea.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
How about trifle?
Sugar free jelly, some fruit, real custard, really thick whipped cream, more fruit, a sprinkle of 100s and 1000s or a few edible pearls, or curls of high cocoa chocolate, or just chopped or grated if you don't want to faff about - maybe a chocolate dipped boudoir biscuit just for that extra something...
There are some nice low carb cracker recipes you might like to have some with cheeses, perhaps a cake substituting some of the flour - I would advise having far less sweetener than any recipe you find, as eating low carb corrects the taste buds, and often a recipe will be sweetened to what is 'normal' and it can be absolutely dreadful. If it is still really hot maybe some salad would be a good idea.
Ha ha Resurgam ... I am LIVING on salads these past few months, due to the extreme heat! However I certainly hadn't thought about trifle and feel it to be an excellent idea! I agree wholeheartedly about the taste buds by the way, since I don't have anything sweet apart from a square of 90% Lindt dark chocolate some evenings, and did wonder if I might find cake not palatable now? I also have to think of my daughter's enjoyment of my day too, since she has no social life and only leaves the house when with myself, due to her anxieties. I thought a nice little cake would fit the bill, and now that you suggest trifle then I shall look to find ways to construct one that we both would enjoy. Thank you :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am two years and seven months into my diabetic journey, and have lost two stone over that time,
bringing my weight to normal levels for my height, and putting my medication (Metformin) to only one
per day over the last year. I feel well, eat low carb, and rarely experience my only ever diabetic symptom of
tingling fingertips.
However, I lost my lovely Mum two months ago, very suddenly, and as I was her main carer for four years, it is taking a while to come to terms with her not being there for me to look after every day.
I have a birthday coming up on Monday (6th) and I feel that I need a lift, so wish to have a little birthday tea with my daughter (still at home) ... but what can I have to feel a bit 'special' for one day, instead of feeling so sad?
My daughter suggests a birthday cake ... just a little one ... but would that be silly?
What do others do on their birthday, or other celebration?
I do so want a day that is different and I am not going out anywhere so a little special tea would be so nice

Hi Mal, as others have said, there is nothing wrong with having your 'treat'. Having said that if the thought of a cake plays heavily on your mind, why don't you bake a low carb one (very, very easy and yum). I would also make up a few low carb bits & bobs and spread it all out like a little afternoon tea! You could make some tiny sandwiches with maybe half a slice of bread or if you no longer eat bread maybe some sausage and cheese sticks, (i know, I know, I grew up in the 70's). Pop a table cloth on the table, use your best tea cups and off you go. This sounds daft but when we first lost our Mum, we set a little tea cup out for her too!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi Mal, as others have said, there is nothing wrong with having your 'treat'. Having said that if the thought of a cake plays heavily on your mind, why don't you bake a low carb one (very, very easy and yum). I would also make up a few low carb bits & bobs and spread it all out like a little afternoon tea! You could make some tiny sandwiches with maybe half a slice of bread or if you no longer eat bread maybe some sausage and cheese sticks, (i know, I know, I grew up in the 70's). Pop a table cloth on the table, use your best tea cups and off you go. This sounds daft but when we first lost our Mum, we set a little tea cup out for her too!
Aww that is sooo sweet to do that for your mum, and I do have her favourite cup here! I don't now eat (or miss) bread but like the idea of the sausage sticks :)

Reactions: Prem51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You have been so careful for so long and deserve a 'day off'. Perhaps another time it might be an idea to go to a 'tea shop' for tea so that you don't have to wash up afterwards. If you choose a quiet time of day your daughter should manage with you, and you can look at the menu before you go so that you make sensible choices. Some tea rooms now are catering for people on different diets and offer a selection of foods with a range of different teas.
One special day is fine but don't forget to go back to your new ways straight away. I allow myself a couple a year but limit it because otherwise it becomes a habit.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
You have been so careful for so long and deserve a 'day off'. Perhaps another time it might be an idea to go to a 'tea shop' for tea so that you don't have to wash up afterwards. If you choose a quiet time of day your daughter should manage with you, and you can look at the menu before you go so that you make sensible choices. Some tea rooms now are catering for people on different diets and offer a selection of foods with a range of different teas.
One special day is fine but don't forget to go back to your new ways straight away. I allow myself a couple a year but limit it because otherwise it becomes a habit.
I will definitely be going straight back to my usual way of eating Phoenix55, if only because my actual birthday is meant to be a one off ... and so therefor feel a little 'self indulgent' :) (It wouldn't be special if it continued on)

Reactions: kitedoc

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mal37 on your birthday, if you don't test, then anything you've eaten doesn't count!!!!! But....... only on your birthday!
I hope you have a lovely day - celebrate with your daughter, and remember the happy things you did with your mum

Reactions: kitedoc

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
If you can tolerate a little alcohol then a glass of wine with the cake may help balance out the effect and make it an extra treat. Alcohol can lower BGL. Obviously something to be careful with and don’t overdo it on the wine (or the cake) but I reckon you probably deserve both.

Reactions: zand and kitedoc

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
If you can tolerate a little alcohol then a glass of wine with the cake may help balance out the effect and make it an extra treat. Alcohol can lower BGL. Obviously something to be careful with and don’t overdo it on the wine (or the cake) but I reckon you probably deserve both.
Sadly I have never been able to have alcohol ... initially because I didn't like it, but then I had a liver infection in my 30's so it was as well that I never took to the stuff!! :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mal37 Make a pretty chocolate sundae by whipping some melted dark chocolate with cream and put it in 2 special glasses on a few berries whip double cream and put on top then decorate with grated chocolate and a few more berries
Carol

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
@Mal37 Make a pretty chocolate sundae by whipping some melted dark chocolate with cream and put it in 2 special glasses on a few berries whip double cream and put on top then decorate with grated chocolate and a few more berries
Carol
Wow that sounds lovely Carol!

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Sadly I have never been able to have alcohol ... initially because I didn't like it, but then I had a liver infection in my 30's so it was as well that I never took to the stuff!! :D

Sorry to hear that (I think - although it sounds like you’re ok with situation so good for you)
Still have the cake though.