Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HH, maybe have a look at Youtube, real people sharing their experiences, good and bad. I used that as a resource when checking out the Libre and found most videos fairly informative. It will give you maybe a little guidance
Thanks @smc4761 I may try that. I'm fine with my Libre, easy peasy (once Mel told me how to set up the insulin on board indicator!) and I've had a look at someone setting up and fixing an omnipod. It's all the other stuff with extra tech (though maybe that's not absolutley necessary?) and calculations that I find daunting; not the maths but the discipline to record everything that enables you to calculate pump dosages. Having said that, I still keep a paper record daily of before and after meals so I can add notes if things change to give me an idea of why, but I'm not completely disciplined and I don't analyse it enough to make it as good a tool as it could be. Not sure why really...lazy? :couchpotato:

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w I decided to use a fingerpicking pattern that used the lower strings a lot, so I added the low G into a few of the chords. I'll be quite pleased with it, I think, if I can ever play it properly.

Keep practising, and again, then a little more then practice again... Or that's what my mate says, personally I like power chords :) as mistakes are harder to hear and finger picking's not a strong point, I can 'kind of'' do bits of a couple of Paul Simon tracks picking but strumming's more me.
Guitars are fun though!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep practising, and again, then a little more then practice again... Or that's what my mate says, personally I like power chords :) as mistakes are harder to hear and finger picking's not a strong point, I can 'kind of'' do bits of a couple of Paul Simon tracks picking but strumming's more me.
Guitars are fun though!

I'm pleased with this song, because it feels like I'm doing it the way I want to play the guitar, I have struggled with finding a way to do it, that feels right for me, rather than getting caught up in thinking there's something wrong because I don't play like other people play.

Power chords are great, but I've always really liked sort of tough hard American finger picking singer songerwriters, like Steve Earle, or James McMurtry, but of course I can't be remotely like them, because I'm a polite English woman.............so I've found it quite hard to find a way to do it that works for me.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pleased with this song, because it feels like I'm doing it the way I want to play the guitar, I have struggled with finding a way to do it, that feels right for me, rather than getting caught up in thinking there's something wrong because I don't play like other people play.

Power chords are great, but I've always really liked sort of tough hard American finger picking singer songerwriters, like Steve Earle, or James McMurtry, but of course I can't be remotely like them, because I'm a polite English woman.............so I've found it quite hard to find a way to do it that works for me.

I work on the 'kiss' principle in keeping it simple stupid, so for me Oasis and the like are good to play on acoustic, and there's lots of YouTube lessons as I work on the 'monkey see monkey do' principle, I'm lucky to have a mate who plays so we jam every couple of weeks, which is fun.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @smc4761 I may try that. I'm fine with my Libre, easy peasy (once Mel told me how to set up the insulin on board indicator!) and I've had a look at someone setting up and fixing an omnipod. It's all the other stuff with extra tech (though maybe that's not absolutley necessary?) and calculations that I find daunting; not the maths but the discipline to record everything that enables you to calculate pump dosages. Having said that, I still keep a paper record daily of before and after meals so I can add notes if things change to give me an idea of why, but I'm not completely disciplined and I don't analyse it enough to make it as good a tool as it could be. Not sure why really...lazy? :couchpotato:

I am intrigued, what is the "insulin on board indicator" is that for Libre and what/ where is that?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Fidel got curious, but no claws!

E1BBD049-B47F-4ED2-9118-DF840FE148E3.jpeg

Reactions: Knikki

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am intrigued, what is the "insulin on board indicator" is that for Libre and what/ where is that?
Yes it's on the Libre reader. It's like a little gingerbread man image and it comes up on the screen that offers you the choice between checking glucose or reviewing your history. When you've just bolused, the man is all ginger coloured and starts to lose colour from the head down over time until your bolus has expired. I believe I had to set it through the professional settings part and you need a code to get into that part of the reader that. I've written it down somewhere safe which means I now can't find it, duh! Mel obviously knows it as she told me how to do it. Sorry not to be more helpful but I think it's probably an indicator of why I'm not at all sure I'd cope with all the intricacies of a pump :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's on the Libre reader. It's like a little gingerbread man image and it comes up on the screen that offers you the choice between checking glucose or reviewing your history. When you've just bolused, the man is all ginger coloured and starts to lose colour from the head down over time until your bolus has expired. I believe I had to set it through the professional settings part and you need a code to get into that part of the reader that. I've written it down somewhere safe which means I now can't find it, duh! Mel obviously knows it as she told me how to do it. Sorry not to be more helpful but I think it's probably an indicator of why I'm not at all sure I'd cope with all the intricacies of a pump :)

I don't have him.

I'm going to argue that mathematical precision is great, but most of us go through life, quite successfully, making estimates.

When you park your car, do you get out and measure the space, or do you estimate?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Press the Settings "cog wheel" at top right.Scroll down to page 3. Press Professional Options. Click Yes when it asks are you a health care professional. Click next. Enter the oh so secret code CAA1C.Click done, then insulin calculator. Go through the various parameters, then you'll get to a screen asking Do you want the Active Insulin symbol to be displayef on the Home Screen. Select yes. Thatt'll get you the gingerbread man next time you enter a bolus. Click it and it'll bring up a screen giving a number for iob and time left.

It's surprisingly useful just havin a rough guide to how much iob there is, especially if you get into a stacking situation.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have him.

I'm going to argue that mathematical precision is great, but most of us go through life, quite successfully, making estimates.

When you park your car, do you get out and measure the space, or do you estimate?
Completely agree, though I think (could well be wrong) that to set up a pump you need to have accuracy or at least pretty **** good estimates, and to keep making the right adjustments. Just not sure I'm up for that - or maybe I don't want it enough? Equally, I'm not at all sure that my CCG would consider me a suitable candidate for a pump - they certainly don't for a Libre.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree, though I think (could well be wrong) that to set up a pump you need to have accuracy or at least pretty **** good estimates, and to keep making the right adjustments. Just not sure I'm up for that - or maybe I don't want it enough? Equally, I'm not at all sure that my CCG would consider me a suitable candidate for a pump - they certainly don't for a Libre.

CCGs? what do they know about anything?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Press the Settings "cog wheel" at top right.Scroll down to page 3. Press Professional Options. Click Yes when it asks are you a health care professional. Click next. Enter the oh so secret code CAA1C.Click done, then insulin calculator. Go through the various parameters, then you'll get to a screen asking Do you want the Active Insulin symbol to be displayef on the Home Screen. Select yes. Thatt'll get you the gingerbread man next time you enter a bolus. Click it and it'll bring up a screen giving a number for iob and time left.

It's surprisingly useful just havin a rough guide to how much iob there is, especially if you get into a stacking situation.

It worked, I have a little gingerbread man, now.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 people who are good at technical things are wonderful people, but, as I discovered long ago with the guitar, sometimes it can create an impression that only an expert can do something.

But if pumps were intended only for experts, they would be of very limited value. Obviously once someone works out how to use it, it gets easier, but you shouldn't be intimidated, even if the learning curve has a bit of a slope on it, it doesn't mean it's not worth taking a climb up it.

You'll probably amaze yourself at what you can do.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 people who are good at technical things are wonderful people, but, as I discovered long ago with the guitar, sometimes it can create an impression that only an expert can do something.

But if pumps were intended only for experts, they would be of very limited value. Obviously once someone works out how to use it, it gets easier, but you shouldn't be intimidated, even if the learning curve has a bit of a slope on it, it doesn't mean it's not worth taking a climb up it.

You'll probably amaze yourself at what you can do.
Thanks Alison and couldn't agree more about CCGs! You're right about pumps not being only for experts; I know I'd be capable of dealing with a pump if I ever had one. I think part of my issue is that I've had more trouble than ever before keeping bgs stable this year and I don't know why. The Libre has certainly helped but doesn't explain some odd changes and blips like this recent evening rise. I'm not sure what to do for the best sometimes, and after 30 odd years when I've gone along not perfectly but okay, I feel I don't know what's happening half the time now. And that leads to me being more ambivalent than I usually would be about taking on something new. As I say, I'd be extremely doubtful about my CCG agreeing to it, and despite also thinking 'what do they know', they hold the purse strings.