Holiday Pump Or Injections

Blue2

Morning all

Going on holiday soon and was wondering how people managed with swimming etc

Do you just keep taking your pump on and off or do you revert back to injections?

Many thanks

D

Deleted Account

I stick with my pump. If I was to revert to injections, I would lose an element of control during the times when I have the least predictable exercise, which I alcohol, and eating, etc.
I manage swimming, spas, etc by disconnecting most of the time but returning to my pump every hour to give myself a manual bolus equivalent to one hour of basal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, I would do the same as Helen, also to add you need to take back up bolus and basal pens with you too as well as a holiday loan pump, so I would use novorapid injections for a quick top us when not wearing the pump.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all

Do you just keep taking your pump on and off or do you revert back to injections?

Many thanks
I'm reverting back to pen therapy for two weeks. Nobody can convince me to holiday with my pump.

Tonto73

I keep with the pump. You should be OK for an hour perhaps a bit longer off the pump but keep checking your sugars and adjust as needed. Avoid dose staking for any correction insulin. Also if you’re off somewhere hot / drinking or active remember insulin sensitivity will increase and you may want to reduce you basal..... keep checking and adjust as needed.

Have a great time :)

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Morning all

Many thanks
I don't ever take mine off - it goes in the water with me

BUZZ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Always take mine off when going abroad. No worries of it malfunctioning lines/insulin getting hot and don't need to double on supplies e g. Still having to take injections as well as pump supplies.

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always go back to my pens as I love the sun and haven't yet found a way of stopping the insulin in the line from getting too hot. I travel light so it means I don't have to carry the bulky cannulas etc with me. It's just down to personal preference

Reactions: Picci
D

Deleted Account

If you are relatively new to the pump or have injected recently, injecting may be a good solution.

After two and a half years of pumping with no longer than a couple of hours off pump, my pump failed and I was forced to revert to injecting and, due to the lack of control with injecting, I found my BG was all over the place with far less chance to correct with a single basal.