1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Holiday Pump Or Injections

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Blue2, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Blue2

Blue2 · Active Member

Morning all

Going on holiday soon and was wondering how people managed with swimming etc

Do you just keep taking your pump on and off or do you revert back to injections?

Many thanks

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I stick with my pump. If I was to revert to injections, I would lose an element of control during the times when I have the least predictable exercise, which I alcohol, and eating, etc.
    I manage swimming, spas, etc by disconnecting most of the time but returning to my pump every hour to give myself a manual bolus equivalent to one hour of basal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, I would do the same as Helen, also to add you need to take back up bolus and basal pens with you too as well as a holiday loan pump, so I would use novorapid injections for a quick top us when not wearing the pump.

4. Blue2

Blue2 · Active Member

Thank you both. I will keep with my pump, I also have a spare & pens which I will take with me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Picci

Picci Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm reverting back to pen therapy for two weeks. Nobody can convince me to holiday with my pump.

6. Tonto73

Tonto73 · Member

I keep with the pump. You should be OK for an hour perhaps a bit longer off the pump but keep checking your sugars and adjust as needed. Avoid dose staking for any correction insulin. Also if you’re off somewhere hot / drinking or active remember insulin sensitivity will increase and you may want to reduce you basal..... keep checking and adjust as needed.

Have a great time :)

7. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't ever take mine off - it goes in the water with me

8. BUZZ

BUZZ Type 1 · Member

Always take mine off when going abroad. No worries of it malfunctioning lines/insulin getting hot and don't need to double on supplies e g. Still having to take injections as well as pump supplies.

9. franclegg

franclegg Type 1 · Member

I always go back to my pens as I love the sun and haven't yet found a way of stopping the insulin in the line from getting too hot. I travel light so it means I don't have to carry the bulky cannulas etc with me. It's just down to personal preference

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

If you are relatively new to the pump or have injected recently, injecting may be a good solution.

After two and a half years of pumping with no longer than a couple of hours off pump, my pump failed and I was forced to revert to injecting and, due to the lack of control with injecting, I found my BG was all over the place with far less chance to correct with a single basal.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook