Going back into Powerlifting (again!!!)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well that's it! I have joined a drug tested Powerlifting union and have signed up for a qualifying completion in November, to hopefully get into the British and European championships next year. Training is going really well and have already achieved my qualifying total. I have to take four weeks off after my next eye operation in September, which will give me 7wks to regain any strength losses raedy for comp day!

Reactions: IronLioness

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good news @johnpol. Well done for reaching your qualifying weight.....what was that weight????
Fingers crossed your eye op goes to plan and that all goes well for the comp. :)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news @johnpol. Well done for reaching your qualifying weight.....what was that weight????
Fingers crossed your eye op goes to plan and that all goes well for the comp. :)
I'm competing in the 125kg weight class in Masters 2 (45-49yrs old) and my qualifying total is 380kg across all three lifts (squat, Bench press and Deadlift) I have achieved it in training, but doing it out on the platform is an other matter altogether. But I will do it though.

Reactions: kev-w

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bench last night , it was going so well until I decided to hurt my left pec, hopefully it will settle down and won't cause me an issue. Mind it was my own fault as I was supposed to do 110kg 6x3, but I actually did 120kg 6x4! Talk about a senior moment, ah well at least I did it, and I wondered why it felt so heavy!!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well last nights attempt at squats shows you how difficult preparing for a competition and managing injuries can be. I have had knee issues since knee surgery around 8yrs ago, and it decided that last night it was going to give way with 120kg on my back (was not a good feeling I can tell you) so the session was ended there and then to prevent any further problems. I am planning on trying it again on Saturday morning as I am competing in November so I have to get it done. It shows that some times preparing for competitions can be either plane sailing or can be injury ravaged I have unfortunately had both during my dabbles in sport.

Reactions: Geoffno6
K

Knikki

Good luck on gettting your knee sorted.

I guess you have it strapped up tight?

Or is that not right?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck on gettting your knee sorted.

I guess you have it strapped up tight?

Or is that not right?
I wear knee sleeves and will transition to knee wraps when I start back after my eye surgery, as knee wraps can destabilise the knee if used incorrectly, so sleeves to help build the muscles around it. The knee will never be right, until I get a replacement, but in my head I'm too young for that

Reactions: kev-w and porl69

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I completed my first Full Power powerlifting event on Sunday. It was the A/BPU British and European Championship qualifier 2019, I had to achieve a qualifying total of 445kg across all three lifts, squat, Bench press and deadlift. I ended the day going 9 for 9, 9 attempted lifts with 9 successful lifts totalling 472.5kg. This consisted of a 152.5kg squat (in training it hasn't gone well at all) a 125kg bench and a 195kg deadlift. I could have went heavier across all my lifts but as I wanted to qualify I decided against going "All Out" as some of the other lifters did. I was in the Masters 2 (45-49) category, Classic raw, which means I was allowed to use Knee Wraps. I am extremely pleased as I have qualified to go to the British and European Championships at my first attempt.

Over the coming months I will chart my training and possibly my projected total for both of these championships if any one wishes to know.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well training for the British champs is going well, Bench looks like it may well be a 140kg opener, squats, well the less said about them the better, looks like it may be 185kg opener and my deadlift might be 210kg to 220kg opener. After that it will be in the laps of the gods. I will try my best on the 10/5/2019 and hopefully all the training pays off.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well training for the British champs is going well, Bench looks like it may well be a 140kg opener, squats, well the less said about them the better, looks like it may be 185kg opener and my deadlift might be 210kg to 220kg opener. After that it will be in the laps of the gods. I will try my best on the 10/5/2019 and hopefully all the training pays off.

Wow....just WOW. Thats some pretty serious weight for openers!! :)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow....just WOW. Thats some pretty serious weight for openers!! :)
Thanks and I don't mind admitting it but they are feeling very heavy!! I should be flying in training but am feeling out of sorts and short on confidence. My diabetes has decided that it doesn't want to be consistent and is throwing in the old curve ball occasionally. But got to keep going.

Reactions: jjraak

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks and I don't mind admitting it but they are feeling very heavy!! I should be flying in training but am feeling out of sorts and short on confidence. My diabetes has decided that it doesn't want to be consistent and is throwing in the old curve ball occasionally. But got to keep going.

Is that not what T1D does consistently :)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worked upto 215kg last night for deadlifts, and they were extremely comfortable especially considering I thought 210kg was going to be my opener, I might have to think again before I set it in stone.

Reactions: Ponchu

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
was coached on squats on Wednesday evening, my technique has disappeared and I was at risk of being injured. So back to the drawing board and work from the start. I should still be ok for my comp though, best to get it sorted before I step on the platform than fail.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Training is going OK, Bench is still in the poverty range, but pressing 130kg with a comp pause 2x2 on Wednesday and deadlift is progressing ok with 225kg 3x1 feeling ok. Now on to the elephant in the room, squats, I cant seem to work through the problem I have with hitting depth. The depth is point of the hip below the line of the knee, I'm missing it more than I'm hitting it and my confidence is now starting to suffer as a result. If I can't get at least one squat on the board I can't put a total in. I still have 5 training weeks left until the competition to work on it but I just need to work on my confidence under 200kg which is my target for comp. Who ever said powerlifting was easy eh, well no one! Just need to give myself a good talking to, and just get it done.

Reactions: zauberflote

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well training was flying with training week totals of 510kg to 545kg, consisting of 170kg squat, 140kg bench and 220kg deadlift, so was expecting good things on the Platform in a little over 4 weeks. Right until the wheels came off on Monday evening when whilst Deadlifting I decided it was vitally important to badly hurt my left hip ( I think I have torn a hip flexor or something) I had 220kg on the bar and mid way through the pull I felt like I had been shot! went again and it felt even worse, so as any sane person does took it down to 180kg and went again, with exactly the same results, being shot in my left hip! cue the tantrum and worry. So I benched last night and did 135kg 2x2 and all was OK but cant activate any leg drive to speak of as the pain in my hip is terrible. Then tried to do body weight squats! Ha ha fat chance of that. So with a little over four weeks to go it looks like at the minute that a token squat followed by a hopefully good bench and a mediocre Deadlift at the British, but I will still go and see what happens. I don't put all this graft in to not turn up.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@johnpol your drive is astronomical, but I am just seriously concerned about those injuries! I don’t know whether to have “a mother’s concern” or “a sister’s concern” but it’s definitely a “fellow human’s concern”. I want for whatever those injuries are to Go Away!!! , and am so very glad you’ve got that top-notch coach. I do feel with you the emotional pain. Hugs.

Reactions: johnpol

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Squats on Friday evening, even with a poorly hip, 140kg for a couple of sets. Can't hit depth because of the hip issue but at least I still trained. I will continue with the rehab and see what happens over the final few weeks of prep.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well Deadlifts last night worked up to 200kg 3x2 felt heavy, then 210kg 2x1 and that felt glued to the floor. Ground it out and actively fought the last rep. Dropped down to 160kg for 6 speed reps, which again just felt heavy. I had zero motivation to be there, and just didn't "feel" it. The hip feels terrible and I'm just going to keep plodding along. Hopefully I will feel better about the training tonight. And the old diabetes is just plain kicking my **** at the minute, which isn't helping at all.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bench last night and did what I think may well be comp weights (still in the poverty range) 120kg 2x2 130kg x1 (felt easy) 140kg x1 (lost form after the press command but went up) considering my hip injury and I can't produce any leg drive to speak of I'm relatively happy with my bench. I have to see if its actually worth going to the British Championships if I can't perform how I know I can, or go for the experience and hope that the crowd and adrenalin spur me on. I think at this stage I will be lucky to post a 550kg total, which is 50 - 60kg down on what I hoped and planned on. Decisions, decisions I have been advised to maybe pull out but I've put the work in and feel like I should do it and just see what happens.