Type 2: Habc1 Results

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
No worries pal - I pick up my blood testing kit from my GP at my next appointment on 31/8. I’m eating overnight oats and some blueberries for breakfast and chicken/turkey/ fish with veg for my meals. I’m eating some nuts and seeds as a snack in between meals and have increased my water intake. Any advice would be welcome from anyone.
Oats spike me like crazy. Just as bad as bread or rice. After 2 years and lots of testing I do eggs for breakfast with avocado/smoked salmon/ bacon / if I have time .... Lunch I do steak / fish / salad. Supper I do roast veggies sometimes with a protein / sometimes not ... Lots of water. No beer / wine .....but spirits OK. 10, 000 + steps per day. ....It took me a while to figure this out ... Oh yes I did a big diet , called the Newcastle diet in the early days which sorted my sugars out pronto but was really brutal and looking back dont really know if it has to be that harsh.... In the end though its up to you.... I have to say now I am soooo much fitter and feel so much better than I did 3 years ago.....

Reactions: DavidSilvaOlè

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DavidSilvaOlè thank you for the encouragement. Have you seen the thread- what have you eaten today? In the low carb section. There are some great ideas of what low carb meals different people have eaten. I found that one thing that really raised my blood sugar was potatoes. I’m glad you are getting a monitor as it’s only through testing that you will find what is ok for you to eat and in what quantity. For more ideas look at the ditch the carbs website as there are some great recipes, especially the cheesy garlic bread which is made with ground almonds and two different cheeses. Good luck with your type 2 journey.

Reactions: DavidSilvaOlè

DavidSilvaOlè

Oats spike me like crazy. Just as bad as bread or rice. After 2 years and lots of testing I do eggs for breakfast with avocado/smoked salmon/ bacon / if I have time .... Lunch I do steak / fish / salad. Supper I do roast veggies sometimes with a protein / sometimes not ... Lots of water. No beer / wine .....but spirits OK. 10, 000 + steps per day. ....It took me a while to figure this out ... Oh yes I did a big diet , called the Newcastle diet in the early days which sorted my sugars out pronto but was really brutal and looking back dont really know if it has to be that harsh.... In the end though its up to you.... I have to say now I am soooo much fitter and feel so much better than I did 3 years ago.....

Thank you for this advice. I’m going to keep it simple like that and ditch the oats and go with the eggs and avocado. We are on the same page with meat salads and I love roasted vegetables too.
I’m not a drinker so alcohol isn’t an issue.

What about Nuts & Seeds - Are they good or bad ?

When I get my blood testing kit I’m going to test before I eat and 2 hrs after. It might be 12 times a day for the 1st month but I’m going to give it a go and see how it works.

I would love to reverse my diabetes and get my HbA1c below 48 and out of the diabetic range in the next couple of years

DavidSilvaOlè

@DavidSilvaOlè thank you for the encouragement. Have you seen the thread- what have you eaten today? In the low carb section. There are some great ideas of what low carb meals different people have eaten. I found that one thing that really raised my blood sugar was potatoes. I’m glad you are getting a monitor as it’s only through testing that you will find what is ok for you to eat and in what quantity. For more ideas look at the ditch the carbs website as there are some great recipes, especially the cheesy garlic bread which is made with ground almonds and two different cheeses. Good luck with your type 2 journey.

Thank you

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thank you for this advice. I’m going to keep it simple like that and ditch the oats and go with the eggs and avocado. We are on the same page with meat salads and I love roasted vegetables too.
I’m not a drinker so alcohol isn’t an issue.

What about Nuts & Seeds - Are they good or bad ?

When I get my blood testing kit I’m going to test before I eat and 2 hrs after. It might be 12 times a day for the 1st month but I’m going to give it a go and see how it works.

I would love to reverse my diabetes and get my HbA1c below 48 and out of the diabetic range in the next couple of years
I eat about a kilo of nuts a week , mainly almonds walnuts and a few brazils. Its great that you have the theory about how to. use your kit. It doesn't take long to get used to it... best thoughts

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello lovely people I would like to post my own now I can finally get on the page ( had lots of logging on probs lately). In Feb on diagnosis my hba1c was 78 and I was instantly put on sitagliptin, with no discussion about diet- just don’t eat so many sweets. My latest hba1c was 40 and I have come if the sitagliptin, so far I’ve had s slight rise in my fasting bg of about 1.5 points but it’s gradually decreasing. I have had a huge increase in appetite- I’m fighting this. But I’m about the meds. Hope it lasts s long time.