1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2: Habc1 Results

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by mo53, Aug 15, 2018.

1. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oats spike me like crazy. Just as bad as bread or rice. After 2 years and lots of testing I do eggs for breakfast with avocado/smoked salmon/ bacon / if I have time .... Lunch I do steak / fish / salad. Supper I do roast veggies sometimes with a protein / sometimes not ... Lots of water. No beer / wine .....but spirits OK. 10, 000 + steps per day. ....It took me a while to figure this out ... Oh yes I did a big diet , called the Newcastle diet in the early days which sorted my sugars out pronto but was really brutal and looking back dont really know if it has to be that harsh.... In the end though its up to you.... I have to say now I am soooo much fitter and feel so much better than I did 3 years ago.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@DavidSilvaOlè thank you for the encouragement. Have you seen the thread- what have you eaten today? In the low carb section. There are some great ideas of what low carb meals different people have eaten. I found that one thing that really raised my blood sugar was potatoes. I’m glad you are getting a monitor as it’s only through testing that you will find what is ok for you to eat and in what quantity. For more ideas look at the ditch the carbs website as there are some great recipes, especially the cheesy garlic bread which is made with ground almonds and two different cheeses. Good luck with your type 2 journey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. DavidSilvaOlè

DavidSilvaOlè · Active Member

Thank you for this advice. I’m going to keep it simple like that and ditch the oats and go with the eggs and avocado. We are on the same page with meat salads and I love roasted vegetables too.
    I’m not a drinker so alcohol isn’t an issue.

What about Nuts & Seeds - Are they good or bad ?

When I get my blood testing kit I’m going to test before I eat and 2 hrs after. It might be 12 times a day for the 1st month but I’m going to give it a go and see how it works.

I would love to reverse my diabetes and get my HbA1c below 48 and out of the diabetic range in the next couple of years

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DavidSilvaOlè

DavidSilvaOlè · Active Member

Thank you

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Sharon14448

Sharon14448 Type 2 · Active Member

Well done you xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat about a kilo of nuts a week , mainly almonds walnuts and a few brazils. Its great that you have the theory about how to. use your kit. It doesn't take long to get used to it... best thoughts

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello lovely people I would like to post my own now I can finally get on the page ( had lots of logging on probs lately). In Feb on diagnosis my hba1c was 78 and I was instantly put on sitagliptin, with no discussion about diet- just don’t eat so many sweets. My latest hba1c was 40 and I have come if the sitagliptin, so far I’ve had s slight rise in my fasting bg of about 1.5 points but it’s gradually decreasing. I have had a huge increase in appetite- I’m fighting this. But I’m about the meds. Hope it lasts s long time.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Well done @mo53 and @flexi06 on your HbA1c reductions. Onwards and downwards! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  10. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you guys and right back atcha @mo53 xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook