You Couldnt Make It Up!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to give a shout out to Harvester's and Premier Inn's; having used both at various times up and down the country, they are great for no-quibble swaps, and have enough options for LCHF / Keto.
Yes both of these chains are fairly flexible likewise frankie & bennys, their menu has options for you to ditch the bun on burgers, salad to replace fries, double up on burgers, breakfast choices are good too, they do omelettes and egg and bacon. Recently I visited and ordered a dessert which came with either custard or ice cream, I said neither as I’m diabetic, waitress bought my dessert with a pot of cream on the side, “just in case that might be ok for you” she said, think she might have had a little bit of knowledge about LCHF maybe

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes both of these chains are fairly flexible likewise frankie & bennys, their menu has options for you to ditch the bun on burgers, salad to replace fries, double up on burgers, breakfast choices are good too, they do omelettes and egg and bacon. Recently I visited and ordered a dessert which came with either custard or ice cream, I said neither as I’m diabetic, waitress bought my dessert with a pot of cream on the side, “just in case that might be ok for you” she said, think she might have had a little bit of knowledge about LCHF maybe

I had a similar experience on a plane. Asked if they had cream for my tea and the cabin crew member said no, but I’ll make sure we use full-fat milk.

Reactions: zand

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently was invited to a formal celebratory dinner at a Hilton Hotel and looking through the set menu there was nothing suitable on it as it stood. As the invitation indicated I could specify dietary requirements to the organisers, I asked them for what low carb options could be provided. They sent back directly the email they had received from the hotel, who had taken 2 weeks to reply and which for a start had a snotty tone in it as to why anyone would ask for such a thing. What was eventually offered was in effect the original meals minus the potatoes and bread content, and a sorbet! I didn't go.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently was invited to a formal celebratory dinner at a Hilton Hotel and looking through the set menu there was nothing suitable on it as it stood. As the invitation indicated I could specify dietary requirements to the organisers, I asked them for what low carb options could be provided. They sent back directly the email they had received from the hotel, who had taken 2 weeks to reply and which for a start had a snotty tone in it as to why anyone would ask for such a thing. What was eventually offered was in effect the original meals minus the potatoes and bread content, and a sorbet! I didn't go.
Shame you missed out on the event.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My local gastropub has now got quite used to me asking for 2 burger patties with cheese and bacon and nothing else.
Reminds me of my favourite burger at a local chain which offers a no bun option. The Salty Streaker involves burger, halloumi and bacon plus whatever you want to substitute for the bun.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The final outcome though wasn't that bad though - it was part of a weekend, so I still went to that and went out in the evening with a few others who didn't go to the formal for one reason or another. And ate perfectly fine. I felt sorry more for the organiser in a way as she worked hard on it and had been let down.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If I’d had a quid for the times at cages when I’ve asked if a cake (before my low carb days) contained dairy, as I have to avoid it, they’ve answered “it’s gluten free!” and got really snotty when I politely explained I hadn’t asked about gluten, I’d asked about dairy... I came to the conclusion that they think gluten = allergy.

Reactions: zand