You Couldnt Make It Up!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I met a friend for lunch today and was trying to find the best / least worst options on what was a pretty limited menu.
There were only 2 possibilities - quiche and salad ditching the pastry or cod goujons with salad, ditching the batter
I preferred the quiche option, but it came with new potatoes so the following conversation ensued
Me - I dont eat potatoes, is there any alternative?
Waitress - chips
Me - no, thats still potatoes and I need to avoid carbohydrates because Im diabetic, what else have you got?
Waitress - bread
Me - no, still lots of carbs, what does the cod come with?
Waitress - salad and mayonnaise
Me - ok Ill have that then
What was the served to me, and promptly sent back, was no salad, no mayo, 3 cod goujons and a massive plate of chips!!!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I usually go for burger and chips ......... but no bun with the burger, and new potatoes instead of chips! Most pubs can work that out!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 'treated' to lasagna and salad.

I got a lasagna with NO sauce in it of any kind between the layers, and some chips. It also got sent back.

Reactions: kitedoc

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I met a friend for lunch today and was trying to find the best / least worst options on what was a pretty limited menu.
There were only 2 possibilities - quiche and salad ditching the pastry or cod goujons with salad, ditching the batter
I preferred the quiche option, but it came with new potatoes so the following conversation ensued
Me - I dont eat potatoes, is there any alternative?
Waitress - chips
Me - no, thats still potatoes and I need to avoid carbohydrates because Im diabetic, what else have you got?
Waitress - bread
Me - no, still lots of carbs, what does the cod come with?
Waitress - salad and mayonnaise
Me - ok Ill have that then
What was the served to me, and promptly sent back, was no salad, no mayo, 3 cod goujons and a massive plate of chips!!!
No you couldn’t make it up. I had a similar experience recently, ordered steak and mushrooms but wanted the heakthy alternative, replace chips with broccoli
Waitress then says sorry we have run out of broccoli! Did I want a jacket potato? No thank you says I, explaining that I choose to avoid carbs, how about mash potatoes? Again a no from me, she looked at me like I was from another planet, I asked if I could have a salad, and nicely explained again that I don’t eat carbs, how about rice she asked? At this point I lost the will to fight and again requested salad.
Plate arrived, steak, mushrooms and ......... nothing .......... I think she also lost the will to try and work out what wasn’t a carb, bless

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are huge numbers of people who don't know which foods contain protein, so expecting them to know what foods contain carbs, is a bit of an ask.

Can't tell you the number of times I have said 'I don't eat wheat' and then been offered pasta or toast instead of bread...
This must be because pasta grows on trees, you understand, and the act of toasting bread carbonises all the wheat. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Although thankfully these conversations are getting rarer and rarer.
The word on carbs is actually getting out there, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
even my diabetic nurse doesnt use the word Carbs unless i push her. She talks about 'sugars' so i pointed out that if people are only being told about controlling sugars, which to them means the white granular stuff, how are they going to help their diabetes.

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at Birmingham Botanical Gardens today. Their cafe had a sticker on the door proclaiming ‘Birmingham healthy eating: 5 a day healthy options’ (or words to that effect). On offer:

- Sugary drinks (no diet options, limited water without added flavours), fruit juice from concentrate
- Cakes
- Jacket potatoes
- Potato and spinach soup with bread and margarine
- Sandwiches with very little filling
- For the kids macaroni cheese with soldiers

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It is a concern that kitchen staff have no idea about the nutritional content of the meals they are serving. A bit like the cheap pub chain that ran out of rice on curry night although they were next door to a 24hr supermarket. I was there that night asking for salad with my curry which they managed to provide but my friends were left with few options.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Moggely

I must be pretty lucky. Went to a place for a birthday dinner this year and asked for the fish and salad but minus the chips. Lovely chef came out with fish and salad and extra salad on the side. Very nice indeed. Also, when out shopping i stop at a cafe and usually find chicken with salad ext. Might be a bit different here. Shame that some of you guys found it hard and it shouldn't be like that really. Surely these people know a little about diabetics and what we can eat.:rolleyes:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if you are old enough to remember this.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax
I'm not sure if I remember this (being on 6 yrs old at the time!!!) but I seem to remember seeing it, so maybe since then.

So, as I do, I looked on google for it and found the broadcast on YouTube - absolutely hilarious!!! I'm now going to send the link to some Italian friends in Italy .... They'll just love it (yes, they can manage reasonable English ;) )

Here is the link -

Only 3 mins long but so funny!!! Happy days ... ;)

Hotpepper20000

I never use the word carbs when ordering out in a restaurant.
I ask for a protein the request a side vegetable that is on the menu or a salad. I have never had any problems. Once in while I get charged extra but the is the exception and usually I get twice as many vegetables or salad.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have to give a shout out to Harvester's and Premier Inn's; having used both at various times up and down the country, they are great for no-quibble swaps, and have enough options for LCHF / Keto.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My local gastropub has now got quite used to me asking for 2 burger patties with cheese and bacon and nothing else.
Ha ! Is that ordered as two 'undressed burgers ' ???

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Um, what about protein = produce from anything with two legs or more, with fins and from beans (sort of) and nuts. ( and from fungus if one is brave). That covers crocodile (and strictly speaking snakes have residual 'feet'), octopus, fish, eggs, other animal meat and some vegan/vegetarian sources.

Reactions: Brunneria