Weight Loss Question

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. I started eating low carb, drink nothing but water, and started swimming every second day (hadn't been active at all; can't do weight-bearing (like walking) due to arthritis in one foot.)

I'm eating things like eggs, cheese, chicken breasts, tuna, etc. I don't eat big meals and don't eat frequently as I find I'm often full.

It's been seven weeks and my BS has normalized (from 16 mmol to 6-8). But I haven't lost a single pound.

I hear how when people start this they lose a ton of weight. Me, nothing. And I have about 40 pounds to lose.

Before diagnosis I ate order-out pizza, 2-3 Cokes a day. Does anyone have any idea why I haven't lost any weight?

Thanks!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly your metabolism is still trying to get back to normal even though your BG has improved enormously - there are so many things which can get out of kilter building up to diabetes that I suspect it can take over a year for things to start to work properly again. I am almost 2 years from diagnosis not and although I felt better quite quickly my body was still creaking along for quite some time - I visualized it as gone rusty, with just one little fixer to go around polishing up the surfaces - but each month it has been easier to do, to think and to achieve - even at the age of 67.
I have lost weight, but that also crept up, or rather, down - one day I was walking around the supermarket and I got this slithery sensation....

Reactions: neithskye

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply, Resurgam. I'm 47. I can't deny that I feel so much better. I had high BP. That's normal now too (saw doc yesterday). I'm not bloated or feel sluggish like before. My BG has improved.

I just don't understand how I can go from junk food and a sedentary lifestyle to cutting out sugar and most carbs and exercising and not lose a single pound in seven weeks. It's discouraging. I'll keep at it though.

M

Moggely

Hi @neithskye Could it be that you may have gained muscle and have you actually measured your waist ext. Also i agree with Resurgam in that metabolism is trying to get to normal. I wouldn't give it up as it may just happen all of a sudden and you may start losing it weekly. I did lose mine very quickly but i was rarely even eating 20 carbs a day due to fear to put anything in my mouth for a month.lol. Anyway i wish you well in it. Oh i meant to ask if you are on medication, your diet looks pretty good to me. Welcome to by the way. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@neithskye try no cheese and no nuts. See if you start losing.

I need to read the whole thread but with me having underactive thyroid my loses are very slow and normal small until my thyroid is working to its ultimate capability.
Metformin in the past has helped me quicker into a better metabolic position.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I did notice before the weightloss began to be serious, I was fairly stable with BG levels, then suddenly they were all over the place seemingly for no reason, but gradually they began to go down and then to settle into lower ranges - I have no idea why the first weeks were so boring and then the numbers became more exciting, though I could feel more energy was available after that first period of stability - just a natural Tigger perhaps.
I thought I'd mention what happened to me in case you find the same thing going on and think that something bad is happening.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I'm now two years from diagnosis and although I lost a few pounds originally my weight was fairly static until February this year when I suddenly lost 2 stones and now 3 stones. I've changed nothing, no idea why but I'm not complaining and as my GP isn't worried neither am I! I'm unable to exercise having numerous mobility problems and other stuff going on.
It's not been long since your diagnosis you sound as if you're doing all the right things and as Moggley says muscle weighs more than fat! Measure yourself and compare in a months time.
Good luck!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to ditch eggs, all dairy, chicken and pork. They inflame me and make me very achy.
I mostly eat beef lamb duck turkey and fish.
I recently went carnivore to find all my food intolerances and dropped weight. Food intolerances are inflammatory!

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. I started eating low carb, drink nothing but water, and started swimming every second day (hadn't been active at all; can't do weight-bearing (like walking) due to arthritis in one foot.)

I'm eating things like eggs, cheese, chicken breasts, tuna, etc. I don't eat big meals and don't eat frequently as I find I'm often full.

It's been seven weeks and my BS has normalized (from 16 mmol to 6-8). But I haven't lost a single pound.

I hear how when people start this they lose a ton of weight. Me, nothing. And I have about 40 pounds to lose.

Before diagnosis I ate order-out pizza, 2-3 Cokes a day. Does anyone have any idea why I haven't lost any weight?

Thanks!
Hi, I'd just like to mention that that I am 53 yrs old and I've had type 2 diabetessince 2007 I've always had morning high sugars which has done me a lot of damage over the years, im now on insulin which was my own choice as I wanted more control, although this is not to be taken lightly as you will loose some entitlements of your driving license and have to reapply every 3 years. Now back to weight loss i weigh 94 kilos or 14.5 stone in January this year 2018 I was prescribed 1 x 30mg duloxatine per day to manage neuropathic pain in my feet a condition brought on by diabetes and uncontrolled sugars over a long period of time. I was 155 kilos or 24.5 stone in January 2018 it is now August 2018 The Duloxatine acts as a appetite suppressant it is also an antidepressant so it can be prescribed for many uses. Fortunately it worked as a weight loss pill as well as a neuropathy killer for me. It was an unexpected suprize as I have not really needed to make any lifestyle changes to achieve this weight loss although your life does change anyway as you become slimmer you become more active and more able to be active in you life. Worth looking into for some I would have thought..

Last edited:

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @neithskye Could it be that you may have gained muscle and have you actually measured your waist ext. Oh i meant to ask if you are on medication, your diet looks pretty good to me. Welcome to by the way.

Thank you. I suppose it's possible I gained muscle. But I have a lot of weight to lose.

I haven't measured my waist. Unfortunately my mid-section is where I carry my weight.

I am on 2,000 mg of Metformin, 100 mg of Sitagliptin, 10 mg of Jardiance, and 10 mg of Rosuvastatin a day.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@neithskye try no cheese and no nuts. See if you start losing.

I'm not eating much cheese but I'll try. I don’t like any nuts so never eat them.

I've never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem but losing weight has always been a struggle for me. For example, when I had my gallbladder out I didn't eat much for several days. I didn't lose a single pound then either.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I'd mention what happened to me in case you find the same thing going on and think that something bad is happening.

Thanks. I just tested today two hours after breakfast at 5.9 mmol. A few days ago it was 10.2. I sometimes spike for no apparent reason and strangely my numbers are higher after fasting and lower after I eat.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not been long since your diagnosis you sound as if you're doing all the right things and as Moggley says muscle weighs more than fat! Measure yourself and compare in a months time.
Good luck!

You're right. I should be focusing on the good things like better health. My doctor is very pleased with my progress. It's just . . . the logic of not losing weight doesn't make sense to me. ;) I'm seeing a dietician on September 6th.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'd just like to mention that that I am 53 yrs old and I've had type since 2007 I've always had morning high sugars which has done me a lot of damage over the years, im now on insulin which was my own choice as I wanted more control, although this is not to be taken lightly as you will loose some entitlements of your driving license and have to reapply every 3 years. Now back to weight loss i weigh 94 kilos or 14.5 stone in January this year 2018 I was prescribed 1 x 30mg duloxatine per day to manage neuropathic pain in my feet a condition brought on by diabetes and uncontrolled sugars over a long period of time. I was 155 kilos or 24.5 stone in January 2018 it is now August 2018 The Duloxatine acts as a appetite suppressant it is also an antidepressant so it can be prescribed for many uses. Fortunately it worked as a weight loss pill as well as a neuropathy killer for me. It was an unexpected suprize as I have not really needed to make any lifestyle changes to achieve this weight loss although your life does change anyway as you become slimmer you become more active and more able to be active in you life. Worth looking into for some I would have thought..

Thank you for your reply.

Interestingly I had wondered if I had to inform the Ministry of Transportation of my new diagnosis.

I don’t know what it is on this low-carb diet but I'm finding I'm full a lot. I can go 12 hours without eating as I'm not hungry. The reduced food intake is another reason I find it curious I haven't lost weight.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'd just like to mention that that I am 53 yrs old and I've had type since 2007 I've always had morning high sugars which has done me a lot of damage over the years, im now on insulin which was my own choice as I wanted more control, although this is not to be taken lightly as you will loose some entitlements of your driving license and have to reapply every 3 years. Now back to weight loss i weigh 94 kilos or 14.5 stone in January this year 2018 I was prescribed 1 x 30mg duloxatine per day to manage neuropathic pain in my feet a condition brought on by diabetes and uncontrolled sugars over a long period of time. I was 155 kilos or 24.5 stone in January 2018 it is now August 2018 The Duloxatine acts as a appetite suppressant it is also an antidepressant so it can be prescribed for many uses. Fortunately it worked as a weight loss pill as well as a neuropathy killer for me. It was an unexpected suprize as I have not really needed to make any lifestyle changes to achieve this weight loss although your life does change anyway as you become slimmer you become more active and more able to be active in you life. Worth looking into for some I would have thought..
wow, you lost 10 stones in 8 months? FANTASTIC result!!!!!

Dalek65

You need a certain amount of calories a day even if your doing nothing, to start with your body will keep hold of any fat as it thinks that it's being starved then all of a sudden your weight loss will begin and probably quite quickly, your dietician should explain this to you, don't give up it will happen. Good luck

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I suppose it's possible I gained muscle. But I have a lot of weight to lose.

I haven't measured my waist. Unfortunately my mid-section is where I carry my weight.

I am on 2,000 mg of Metformin, 100 mg of Sitagliptin, 10 mg of Jardiance, and 10 mg of Rosuvastatin a day.
Hi there. It is curious that you haven't at least lost fluid by going low carb and your jardiance should help you expel some of any sugars that you are eating. There is a good article on the site Diet Doctor on why women may find it hard to lose weight on LCHF though I'm sorry to say it does reference hormones.! I am 47 too and as we age we lose oestrogen which inhibits storage of fat around the middle which is very annoying. Re measuring it, grab a piece of string and measure your height, fold it up and see if you can get that string around the waist!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/women-hormones-and-weight-management

As others have said, focus on how much healthier you feel by having better blood sugars, eventually reducing the meds and also reducing your risks of heart disease etc. Weight loss i s NOT a linear thing and you may well still be adapting.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You're right. I should be focusing on the good things like better health. My doctor is very pleased with my progress. It's just . . . the logic of not losing weight doesn't make sense to me. ;) I'm seeing a dietician on September 6th.
You will have to experiment to find what your body processes best.
Food diary?

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need a certain amount of calories a day even if your doing nothing, to start with your body will keep hold of any fat as it thinks that it's being starved then all of a sudden your weight loss will begin and probably quite quickly, your dietician should explain this to you, don't give up it will happen. Good luck

Thank you. I have heard that too. I have to remember that weight loss isn't simple math. Body reactions must be accounted for.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found calories made very little difference when the metabolic dynamics aren't right.

Too many carbs can be enough to disturb that.