1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight Loss Question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by neithskye, Aug 22, 2018.

1. neithskye

neithskye Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. I've actually been in perimenopause since age 42 so it wouldn't surprise me if my hormones were all out of whack.

I know I've accomplished a lot in seven weeks. It's just the lack of weight loss has me discouraged, confused, and feeling like a bit of a failure. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I also felt the odd one out on here as it seemed everyone was losing. So many success stories.
    But out of the blue I started to lose. 3.5st loss too. I've readded 2st from having to stop metformin so I'm back to losing 1lb a week, if I'm lucky.
    I woke this morning with better fbg due to increased basal insulin so my day started well.
    Does your fbg look good every morning?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Well done on normalising your blood sugar, that's the most important thing.

I low carb medium fat, when I first started low carbing It was very easy to maintain a good bmi, now I'm a bit older I do limit my fats and watch my food intake, I don't snack, it is a bit more of an effort than it used to be. I also stick to 'healthy fats'. I have to make sure I don't eat from boredom/stress basically when I'm not hungry, otherwise the weight does go on low carb or not!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Xan2cv

Xan2cv Type 2 · Member

Yes and my weight is still dropping albeit more slowly now. My Doctor is aware of this rapid weight loss and says its ok to continue with the Duloxatine meds issued for neuropathy pain. Unfortunately Duloxatine does have its side effects at higher doses like loss of libido in some people particularly men. But considering the benefits of considerable weight loss and the pressure taken away from painful legs and knees from being over weight it has changed my life forever. I refuse to put the weight on again.

5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am going to recommend you a Podcast too. Its is in American but does take a low carb, non diet approach and is a mix of motivation and science which you may find useful. Lots of useful stuff if you can get used to her accent! Its called Primal Potential https://primalpotential.com/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

have you had any issues with loose skin?

7. neithskye

Yeah, exactly. I'm not begrudging the success stories at all. Just everyone else is like, "I lost five pounds in the first week!" and I don't understand why I've lost nothing in two months when I have so much to lose.

I haven't been doing FBG. My doctor said I only needed to test two hours after meals. But I just tested now. I just woke and and haven't eaten for 14 hours. My BG was 6.2 mmol.

8. neithskye

Thank you. I'll have a look.

"It's in American." Heh. I'm Canadian so hopefully I won't have a problem with the accent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. neithskye

A week into my diagnosis I downloaded an app where you input your BG readings, medications and what time you took them, and a food diary. So I've been tracking everything I eat and at what time for six weeks. Hopefully the dietician at my September 6th appointment can have a look.

10. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

:joyful: Its in New Hampshire accent I think. Personally I find a Canadian accent much easier on the ear. I just find some of the food references need translating e.g. Twinkies and Thrive Market!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook