Lactose Free Milk

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think i'm alone i know i'm not i. feel upset and annoyed that i got this illness!!!Docs don't have a clue they never tell u it's about carbs.What i can't understand is how does the Liver make glucose if we don't have carbs to make it?
this has been answered several times, over several threads, specifically in answer to you, along with various links to explanations. I'm done on here. A few thanks to those who have patiently tried to help you for some time wouldnt go amiss either.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't think i'm alone i know i'm not i. feel upset and annoyed that i got this illness!!!
emoji20.png
Docs don't have a clue they never tell u it's about carbs.What i can't understand is how does the Liver make glucose if we don't have carbs to make it?

I suggest you learn how to read labels/info on packaging before moving onto Gluconeogenesis.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I don't think i'm alone i know i'm not i. feel upset and annoyed that i got this illness!!!Docs don't have a clue they never tell u it's about carbs.What i can't understand is how does the Liver make glucose if we don't have carbs to make it?
You are right. The Dr's and DN's never tell you about the carb side of things. All they do is tell you to "cut out sugar".

If it wasn't for this forum I would never know as much as I do now about food and carbs - thanks all you lovely forum members

Stick around and be nice to us. There is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming at first.

Reactions: Julie27318

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2.8g carb in 100ml and 5.6g in 200ml
so - far fewer carbs than ordinary milk. Whats the problem? you have to count your carbs, make totals, record your intake and results and test and test until you find your safe level, just like the rest of us. There is no short cut or miracle low fat food or drink that will sort this.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right. The Dr's and DN's never tell you about the carb side of things. All they do is tell you to "cut out sugar".

If it wasn't for this forum I would never know as much as I do now about food and carbs - thanks all you lovely forum members

Stick around and be nice to us. There is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming at first.
I have had nothing only good advice it's just this Lactose free milk.I decided get one carton with my ordinary milk just to see if i like it and i read on here it was better for Diabetes so i got it and i googled it and it said it was sweeter than ordinary milk but yet the label shows it's carb content is much lower.Do we need patmy attention to of which sugars or just carbs?

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so - far fewer carbs than ordinary milk. Whats the problem? you have to count your carbs, make totals, record your intake and results and test and test until you find your safe level, just like the rest of us. There is no short cut or miracle low fat food or drink that will sort this.
I can't afford to test and test i pay for my own strips and meter i'm on Benefits with Socialphobia and Depression i can't keep buying them

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't afford to test and test i pay for my own strips and meter i'm on Benefits with Socialphobia and Depression i can't keep buying them
I am also on benefits, and a very low income, I pay for my own strips and lancets and meter too. As do several of us on here. I have anxiety. PTSD and ME. Others have disabilities too. The money I save on being low carb help pay for my supplies of strips.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had nothing only good advice it's just this Lactose free milk.I decided get one carton with my ordinary milk just to see if i like it and i read on here it was better for Diabetes so i got it and i googled it and it said it was sweeter than ordinary milk but yet the label shows it's carb content is much lower.Do we need patmy attention to of which sugars or just carbs?

Hi Julie,

As a diabetic mindful of the carbohydrate content this is what we look out for on the packaging.. (Which is the overal carb content, which break down to sugars.)
However, the "of which is sugars" does indicate (especially if the sugar content is snapping on the heels of the total carb content.) how fast a spike one would be more likely to get when the food or drink is digested...

I hope this clarifies when reading the labelling.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm - I wonder how it is made lower in carbs.
Perhaps the breakdown of the lactose is done by bacteria with the right enzyme, and they consume some of the carbs completely for their own needs in the process. It has to be something like that as the process is a simple hydrolysis.