BearZA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello to you all from South Africa

I was diagnosed T2 a month ago.

I am on Metformin

I am so glad to have found this forum !! Looking forward to interacting and learning from you all

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI and welcome.. are you Banting?

Edit to add I'll tag @daisy1 for the intro to low carbing in case it's news to you.

BearZA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the welcome

Not banting and not too clued up on the low carbing.

Thanks very much

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am on Metformin

I am so glad to have found this forum !! Looking forward to interacting and learning from you all

Hi mate, welcome!
Any questions do ask.

P

pollensa

I am on Metformin

Hello to South Africa. Here is an excellent website that offers super low carb delicious foods that may be enticing or interesting for you to explore and try which may prove helpful.

www.dietdoctor.com

Actually interested to know the system of diagnosing cut off values in SA. I ask as curious being victim from Australia, resident in Mallorca Spain, and they have different diagnosing i.e. here in spain I was viewed at one time diabetic, but if I jumped on plane to New Zealand the same A1C result proved pre diabetic.

How does it work in your part of the world, do they do two tests that show over the cut off level especially if one has no symptoms, or only one test? What are the cuts offs would be interested to hear also for fasting 2 hr after eat and random

Happy cooking in the kitchen with new ways of eating low carb, you may be amazed just what lovely foods you can actually eat even though keeping low carb. Good luck

BearZA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for the link. The rest of your question, I cannot answer as I do not know sadly :(

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am on Metformin

Hello Bear, welcome to the Forum. You will find it a very friendly and helpful place, with a huge amount of info on offer. What tests did you have for your diagnosis? What dose of Metformin are you taking? Is it upsetting your digestion at all? I am taking the maximum dose ie 2g daily, extended release and split between morning and evening. I always take the pill with food to minimise the possible digestive problems. I am also eating very low carb. Metformin alone would not reduce my blood glucose enough, though I think it does help.

You must be still feeling very shocked by your diagnosis. Don't be afraid to write anything you like and ask lots of questions. If you explore the Forum you will see that there many different sections where you can post. Good luck!

BearZA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your well wishes and kind words.

My GP did a HbA1C to diagnose. and initially started me on 500mg metformin at night (XR as well)

By the sixth week happening this coming Monday, im going on to 2000mg XR at night

I cant really say that I have any digestive issues, just a bit of wind hahaha.

I really appreciate the friendliness and warmth from you all

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. Your countryman Prof. Tim Noakes is a favourite of mine and has loads of stuff on YouTube.

Reactions: BearZA

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Welcome @BearZA, How do you get that bear to wave ? I hope your diabetes journey continues well and you obtain whatever further knowledge and help you need here. WE all like to share your journeys, the victories and the set backs, as we go and hope you feel comfortable to do so. :):):)

Reactions: BearZA