1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Greetings From South Africa

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by BearZA, Aug 28, 2018.

1. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

Hello to you all from South Africa

I was diagnosed T2 a month ago.

I am on Metformin

I am so glad to have found this forum !! Looking forward to interacting and learning from you all

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

HI and welcome.. are you Banting?

Edit to add I'll tag @daisy1 for the intro to low carbing in case it's news to you.

3. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

Thanks for the welcome

Not banting and not too clued up on the low carbing.

Thanks very much

4. bulkbiker

5. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

6. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi mate, welcome!
    Any questions do ask.

7. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

Hello to South Africa. Here is an excellent website that offers super low carb delicious foods that may be enticing or interesting for you to explore and try which may prove helpful.

www.dietdoctor.com

Actually interested to know the system of diagnosing cut off values in SA. I ask as curious being victim from Australia, resident in Mallorca Spain, and they have different diagnosing i.e. here in spain I was viewed at one time diabetic, but if I jumped on plane to New Zealand the same A1C result proved pre diabetic.

How does it work in your part of the world, do they do two tests that show over the cut off level especially if one has no symptoms, or only one test? What are the cuts offs would be interested to hear also for fasting 2 hr after eat and random

Happy cooking in the kitchen with new ways of eating low carb, you may be amazed just what lovely foods you can actually eat even though keeping low carb. Good luck

8. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

Thank you so much for the link. The rest of your question, I cannot answer as I do not know sadly :(

9. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Hello Bear, welcome to the Forum. You will find it a very friendly and helpful place, with a huge amount of info on offer. What tests did you have for your diagnosis? What dose of Metformin are you taking? Is it upsetting your digestion at all? I am taking the maximum dose ie 2g daily, extended release and split between morning and evening. I always take the pill with food to minimise the possible digestive problems. I am also eating very low carb. Metformin alone would not reduce my blood glucose enough, though I think it does help.

You must be still feeling very shocked by your diagnosis. Don't be afraid to write anything you like and ask lots of questions. If you explore the Forum you will see that there many different sections where you can post. Good luck!

10. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

Thanks for your well wishes and kind words.

My GP did a HbA1C to diagnose. and initially started me on 500mg metformin at night (XR as well)

By the sixth week happening this coming Monday, im going on to 2000mg XR at night

I cant really say that I have any digestive issues, just a bit of wind hahaha.

I really appreciate the friendliness and warmth from you all

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. bulkbiker

Lucky you.. I was virtually housebound due to "tummy issues" when I took it.

12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Hello and welcome. Your countryman Prof. Tim Noakes is a favourite of mine and has loads of stuff on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome @BearZA, How do you get that bear to wave ? I hope your diabetes journey continues well and you obtain whatever further knowledge and help you need here. WE all like to share your journeys, the victories and the set backs, as we go and hope you feel comfortable to do so. :):):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook