Newcastle Diet

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After my shock of my hba1c hitting an all time high of 72 yesterday, tears and realising I needed to now accept I’m diabetic and work to look after myself I came on here and posted for help. I had loads of good advice however I have made a decision to try to Newcastle low calorie diet and I would like to start Monday. Initially using the shakes. I would just like to know if people advice I continue on my 2 x 500 metformin twice a day. Also what other tips do people have. Am I best having a shake mid morning and mid afternoon with a small meal of veg at night

Reactions: Serena51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After my shock of my hba1c hitting an all time high of 72 yesterday, tears and realising I needed to now accept I’m diabetic and work to look after myself I came on here and posted for help. I had loads of good advice however I have made a decision to try to Newcastle low calorie diet and I would like to start Monday. Initially using the shakes. I would just like to know if people advice I continue on my 2 x 500 metformin twice a day. Also what other tips do people have. Am I best having a shake mid morning and mid afternoon with a small meal of veg at night
I posted on your other thread.
The timing of the meal replacements is up to you. Whatever suits. I would add that you need to have some oil with your veg to prevent formation of gallstones.
When I followed ND method I did continue Metformin. That was on advice of GP. I suggest you check with your GP too.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would also suggest that you have a clear idea on what to eat after you finish ND. Good Luck.

Reactions: Nicel

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may want to test how your blood sugars respond to the shakes at different times of day - I havent done ND but have tried aome of the shakes - I found my sugars responded better if I had the shakes later in the day rather than for breakfast. You may find the same, or indeed the exact opposite - our bodies will all react differently

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I have slim fast shakes and three books arriving tomorrow about the diet I’ll be starting on Monday. New strips for my monitor and I am now monitoring. Feeling quite positive this evening after feeling depressed since yesterday. I will be playing around with the diet for the first week finding what fits right as there are a few different ways of doing it. I’m hoping the books and support on here will be a valuable resource. Thanks for all your help

Reactions: Serena51

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Nicel. I'm a week into my own low-cal attempt. As I understand it, as long as you hit the calories deficit, the timing is up to you. I'm still tweaking my timing. Being busy at the times when you are hungry is something I'm finding helpful.

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From amazing. The blood sugar diet. There is a pack of three two are cook books. It’s by dr Michael Mosley

From amazing. The blood sugar diet. There is a pack of three two are cook books. It’s by dr Michael Mosley

@bulkbiker

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The Moseley book was the first one I bought after diagnosis. I found it very helpful. The recipe book that accompanies it was consigned to the back shelf, though, because I found that some of the ingredients were very expensive. His book on gut health was excellent, a real eye opener.

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Nicel. I'm a week into my own low-cal attempt. As I understand it, as long as you hit the calories deficit, the timing is up to you. I'm still tweaking my timing. Being busy at the times when you are hungry is something I'm finding helpful.

Yes being busy has helped. I’ve not stopped today so only has 240 cals all day and day 2 I’m not hungry. I’m having a nice meal soon with chicken and veg and I might treat myself to some pistachios later as I will still have calories left. One thing I will say is for the first time in months I am not exhausted today and my blood sugar has already started to drop so I’m fully motivated now to keep it up. Good luck to you. Keep us updated on your progress. It’s nice to know I’m not doing this alone