1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle Diet

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Nicel, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Nicel

Nicel Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After my shock of my hba1c hitting an all time high of 72 yesterday, tears and realising I needed to now accept I’m diabetic and work to look after myself I came on here and posted for help. I had loads of good advice however I have made a decision to try to Newcastle low calorie diet and I would like to start Monday. Initially using the shakes. I would just like to know if people advice I continue on my 2 x 500 metformin twice a day. Also what other tips do people have. Am I best having a shake mid morning and mid afternoon with a small meal of veg at night

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I posted on your other thread.
    The timing of the meal replacements is up to you. Whatever suits. I would add that you need to have some oil with your veg to prevent formation of gallstones.
    When I followed ND method I did continue Metformin. That was on advice of GP. I suggest you check with your GP too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nicel

Thanks Pipp x

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I would also suggest that you have a clear idea on what to eat after you finish ND. Good Luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

You may want to test how your blood sugars respond to the shakes at different times of day - I havent done ND but have tried aome of the shakes - I found my sugars responded better if I had the shakes later in the day rather than for breakfast. You may find the same, or indeed the exact opposite - our bodies will all react differently

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nicel

Thanks everyone. I have slim fast shakes and three books arriving tomorrow about the diet I’ll be starting on Monday. New strips for my monitor and I am now monitoring. Feeling quite positive this evening after feeling depressed since yesterday. I will be playing around with the diet for the first week finding what fits right as there are a few different ways of doing it. I’m hoping the books and support on here will be a valuable resource. Thanks for all your help

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Roggg

Roggg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck Nicel. I'm a week into my own low-cal attempt. As I understand it, as long as you hit the calories deficit, the timing is up to you. I'm still tweaking my timing. Being busy at the times when you are hungry is something I'm finding helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

May I ask which ones?

9. Nicel

From amazing. The blood sugar diet. There is a pack of three two are cook books. It’s by dr Michael Mosley

@bulkbiker

• Informative Informative x 1
    #9 Nicel, Sep 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The Moseley book was the first one I bought after diagnosis. I found it very helpful. The recipe book that accompanies it was consigned to the back shelf, though, because I found that some of the ingredients were very expensive. His book on gut health was excellent, a real eye opener.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nicel

Yes being busy has helped. I’ve not stopped today so only has 240 cals all day and day 2 I’m not hungry. I’m having a nice meal soon with chicken and veg and I might treat myself to some pistachios later as I will still have calories left. One thing I will say is for the first time in months I am not exhausted today and my blood sugar has already started to drop so I’m fully motivated now to keep it up. Good luck to you. Keep us updated on your progress. It’s nice to know I’m not doing this alone

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook