Going To Self Fund Pump Or Should I

Bricktop

Hi, I am new to the forum, although type 1 diabetic for 14 years, I self funded with Dexcom and currently have the the Dexcom G6 and love the way it has helped me with my blood sugars.

I am looking at the possibility to 1.) Self fund an ominpod 2.) Attempt to get funding.

I have fought tooth and nail since being diabetic to get any sort of healthcare, I have gone private before to get 2nd opinions and ended up seeing a colleague of the original healthcare with no expertise and got nowhere.

I am 6ft 2 and over 22 stone and although carry my weight well have put on 7 stone since being diagnosed. I currently fast for 24 hrs and then eat 1 meal which has helped but it makes my nigh time bloods go high.

I take 120 units of levimere at night and this can just about control it. I have today started a fasting basal test to see how my body performs during the day with no novo rapid.

Would I even qualify for pump? Does the omnipod have enough ml capacity for someone like me?

sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just started using the Omnipod, and it’s been wonderful so far - I’m lucky that it’s available in my area and that I met the criteria for it - in my case raging dawn phenomenon and insulin resistance for a week each month connected to my cycle. Your eligibility all depends on the funding criteria for your area, you’d need to speak to your DSN or consultant to find out more. It contains 200 units, and lasts for three days - so might not be the best option for your dose levels. A pump with a refillable reservoir might be more suitable, I doubt they’d fund Omnipod if it needed replacing every 36 hours, it’s not refillable - but all these things depend on clinical need. What is your HbA1c? A high score may get you more help.

Can you tell us what CCG you fall under? There may be someone here who is nearby that would know more.

Reactions: Geoffno6 and porl69
D

Deleted Account

Can I ask why you have opted for the OmniPod?
Sure, it is tubeless but as previously mentioned it has a smallish capacity. In addition, one of the reasons some CCGs do not fund it is that it is one of the most expensive.
I have a tube pump (Animas which is no longer available ). Like many, I was reluctant to "tube" but two and a half years later I don't know what I was worried about. I very rarely catch the tube and find it very simple to change.

Reactions: richyb and porl69

Bricktop

Sure, it is tubeless but as previously mentioned it has a smallish capacity. In addition, one of the reasons some CCGs do not fund it is that it is one of the most expensive.
I have a tube pump (Animas which is no longer available ). Like many, I was reluctant to "tube" but two and a half years later I don't know what I was worried about. I very rarely catch the tube and find it very simple to change.
Hi, Basically I climb ladders for a living, and a pump hanging off me with tubing would be so much of a pain, if i could part fund i would be happy for an omnipod

Bricktop

I’ve just started using the Omnipod, and it’s been wonderful so far - I’m lucky that it’s available in my area and that I met the criteria for it - in my case raging dawn phenomenon and insulin resistance for a week each month connected to my cycle. Your eligibility all depends on the funding criteria for your area, you’d need to speak to your DSN or consultant to find out more. It contains 200 units, and lasts for three days - so might not be the best option for your dose levels. A pump with a refillable reservoir might be more suitable, I doubt they’d fund Omnipod if it needed replacing every 36 hours, it’s not refillable - but all these things depend on clinical need. What is your HbA1c? A high score may get you more help.

Can you tell us what CCG you fall under? There may be someone here who is nearby that would know more.
Hi My bloods are generally in the 7's due to my dexcom , but i would be so p@@sed if the fact I pay for my own cgm to keep my bloods low stop me from the benefits from a pump, I live in northamptonshire

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you would likely end up needing less insulin on the pump but I don't think the omnipod would hold enough for you....

Medtronic models would likely be more suited.....

I think you have a good a chance as any at getting funded...so just start the conversation.....

the tubing of a conventional pump can be tucked away no problem ,so I don't see that being an issue with your day job...

Reactions: porl69 and Bricktop

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Bricktop you only mention taking Levimere at night time, but you go high at night. Maybe switch taking it to the morning rather than night. Also you didn't mention if you take any fast acting for your single meal ? as without this the Levimere would not cope with your BG rising after a meal. I would also ask what carb size and type your meal is too as this would depend on how much short acting you need and how far in advance of the meal too. Great you have a CGM, I've found it invaluable :)

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

Hi, Basically I climb ladders for a living, and a pump hanging off me with tubing would be so much of a pain, if i could part fund i would be happy for an omnipod
I climb as a hobby and have no problem keeping my pump and tube out of the way.
I either clip it my belt (with the tube tucked in my troos) or put it in a pump belt under my t-shirt.
I never experience my "pump hanging off me."
The tube has never been a problem.
For me the only reason to go with a more expensive option is aesthetics but as a 22 stone guy, you should have no trouble hiding a pump (I am a 9 stone gal).

Reactions: Bricktop

Bricktop

Many people find that Levemir doesn’t last the full 24 hours and need to split their dose. Might be worth a try?
Last night I ate @ 5.00pm and took 40 units of novo with the meal and then took 80 units of levimir at 10.00pm and went to bed with a reading of 4.0 @ 10.00pm I woke with readings of 13.5 @ 6.00am it went down to 10.3 and then I left my office and climbed ladders for 3 hours when it rose to 12.2 when I then returned to the office and took some novo to bring it down as I was on the ground and not on a ladder. the ladder work and today thew walking to the jobs at the rear of properties should of lowered the blood yet it went up.

Bricktop

Hi @Bricktop you only mention taking Levimere at night time, but you go high at night. Maybe switch taking it to the morning rather than night. Also you didn't mention if you take any fast acting for your single meal ? as without this the Levimere would not cope with your BG rising after a meal. I would also ask what carb size and type your meal is too as this would depend on how much short acting you need and how far in advance of the meal too. Great you have a CGM, I've found it invaluable :)
Hi, I have replied to a post lower explain a typical scenario of today with my bloods, they drive me mad

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I have replied to a post lower explain a typical scenario of today with my bloods, they drive me mad

Thanks, but its hard for me to comment as you did not mention your BG before eating, your meal carb value, if you pre-bolused your meal (injected in advance).

Also in your first post you mention taking 120 units of long lasting, but the one above says you took 80 yesterday (just 2/3rds).

Bricktop

Thanks, but its hard for me to comment as you did not mention your BG before eating, your meal carb value, if you pre-bolused your meal (injected in advance).

Also in your first post you mention taking 120 units of long lasting, but the one above says you took 80 yesterday (just 2/3rds).

Before the meal it was 13.3 and I took 60 units 5 mins before meal 50 for food and 10 for correction as it was high anyhow, meal was 160 carbs on the 120 subject mentioned that’s what I have been taking up till last night

Reactions: Geoffno6

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before the meal it was 13.3 and I took 60 units 5 mins before meal 50 for food and 10 for correction as it was high anyhow, meal was 160 carbs on the 120 subject mentioned that’s what I have been taking up till last night

Thanks for the detail - here's what I would do.

With a pre-meal BG of 13.3 I would first take a jab to bring down my BG two hours before the meal. It would take me at least 2 hrs to bring it down to a level of around 8 pre-meal that is acceptable for me.

When I have my pre-meal BG at a reasonable level, for me around 8, I would always take my meal bolus at least 30 mins before the meal, so the insulin is active when I start eating.

Have you been on a Bertie or a Dafne course - to help you with food and insulin dosing so that you can better balance.

Bricktop

Thanks for the detail - here's what I would do.

With a pre-meal BG of 13.3 I would first take a jab to bring down my BG two hours before the meal. It would take me at least 2 hrs to bring it down to a level of around 8 pre-meal that is acceptable for me.

When I have my pre-meal BG at a reasonable level, for me around 8, I would always take my meal bolus at least 30 mins before the meal, so the insulin is active when I start eating.

Have you been on a Bertie or a Dafne course - to help you with food and insulin dosing so that you can better balance.
Thanks for your advice, I have not been on courses, I shall try your method and see how I get on.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Bricktop, From my experience as a T1D and not professional advice or opinion.
My doctor will often share what he is thinking: and some of his wise thoughts toward me are:
What is my ideal weight ? Has my weight stayed at the ideal level or increased or decreased and have BSLs, HBA1C been in normal range?
Is the insulin dose being used to accomodate food and carbohydrate intake to the point where I am overweight or under weight?
The more insulin I take, the more I have to eat to prevent hypos.
So what is your ideal weight? If it is above normal ?, If so, then does insulin AND food intake need to be adjusted.?
Yes, blood sugar can be regulated with any balanced exercise, insulin and food regime.
But one's weight and effect on metabolism, joints, heart health etc is something I expect any dsn and doctor I see to be assessing and advising me on. I have been told that too much insulin is a risk as well as too little insulin.
Why would anyone consider use of a pump if there is any possibility that diet and insulin are excessive? And does that meet the criteria for provision of a pump via NHS?
And are you a type 2 diabetic on insulin ? Or a true Type 1 ?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your advice, I have not been on courses, I shall try your method and see how I get on.

I've been there before too, it can all seem too much and the professionals who should be there to help seem to lack understanding. Please let us know how you get on. Three other things I recommend are - go on a Dafne course - go and see your diabetes nurse at your hospital (not your GP one) and explain your problems to them - try change the timing of your long lasting maybe to the morning or as suggested above split it 50:50 12 hours apart, so say 7pm and 7am each day or whatever suits you best. :)

Bricktop

Hi @Bricktop, From my experience as a T1D and not professional advice or opinion.
My doctor will often share what he is thinking: and some of his wise thoughts toward me are:
What is my ideal weight ? Has my weight stayed at the ideal level or increased or decreased and have BSLs, HBA1C been in normal range?
Is the insulin dose being used to accomodate food and carbohydrate intake to the point where I am overweight or under weight?
The more insulin I take, the more I have to eat to prevent hypos.
So what is your ideal weight? If it is above normal ?, If so, then does insulin AND food intake need to be adjusted.?
Yes, blood sugar can be regulated with any balanced exercise, insulin and food regime.
But one's weight and effect on metabolism, joints, heart health etc is something I expect any dsn and doctor I see to be assessing and advising me on. I have been told that too much insulin is a risk as well as too little insulin.
Why would anyone consider use of a pump if there is any possibility that diet and insulin are excessive? And does that meet the criteria for provision of a pump via NHS?
And are you a type 2 diabetic on insulin ? Or a true Type 1 ?

Type 1 and eat at present once a day