High School & Puberty

Jayden2407

Hi all!

It’s been a while since I posted on here but as it’s always such a great help (I love the community team spirit!) my son, Jayden ( 11 years old) and I went to Majorca last month it’s was our first holiday since diagnosis on the 8th June 2018. On the whole his readings were great, he ate a little ice cream and treats in between meals which he didn’t bolus for, I couldn’t get him out of the pool so it worked well :)
Towards the end of the holiday I noticed his readings higher than usual. This continued when we got home, we were doing all the normal stuff as before, no problem with carb counting and his meter giving correction doses.
Then last week he spotted his first armpit hair and I’m guessing he’s hit puberty! He starts high school in the morning and I’m wondering if his readings maybe higher because puberty strikes??

Thanks,
Janelle

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I always had better BSL readings during holidays, I think because I was exercising more = better insulin sensitivity.
Also I think that in the last few days of the holiday the thought of the holiday ending probably increased my stress and thus blood sugar levels. And attending a new school was sure to put up my BSLs !!
I also experienced what my doctor called growth spurts.(= puberty). My blood sugar levels would rise progressively over several weeks with increase in my appetite. I would end up on 50% plus increases in insulin requirements (this was before glucose monitors, insulin pens, fancy insulins or insulin pumps). Then after those several weeks I would have hypos and I learnt to quickly reduce my insulin back to pre-growth levels. After the first episode of this 'up and down' on the sea swell of puberty I learnt to quickly respond to the next time with insulin adjustments.
Please discuss the above and your observations with Jayden's DSN and doctor who are best versed to advise you all.
Rejoice in his development !!

Reactions: Jayden2407

justadad

Then last week he spotted his first armpit hair and I’m guessing he’s hit puberty! He starts high school in the morning and I’m wondering if his readings maybe higher because puberty strikes??

Hi,

I wondered about the same thing just recently. My son (12) is having great days and not so great days. He is still in his honeymoon, so when his sugars are out of control I always think honeymoon is over, only to see in a week's time that all is back to 'normal' with the normal small dozes. Usually it is some infection or virus or whatever. I did notice my son's armpit hair, which was just days before our appointment with our endo, who saw no signs of puberty, ignored the armpit hair. Did testosterone test, just to confirm no puberty.
I guess I am trying to say, considering his age, his higher BS might not be due to puberty..

Cheers

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Jayden2407 Hormones are all intricately linked to blood glucose control, whether it's testosterone, oestrogen, progesterone etc etc, any fluctuations in hormone levels will have an impact on blood glucose levels.

Jayden2407

Hi,

I wondered about the same thing just recently. My son (12) is having great days and not so great days. He is still in his honeymoon, so when his sugars are out of control I always think honeymoon is over, only to see in a week's time that all is back to 'normal' with the normal small dozes. Usually it is some infection or virus or whatever. I did notice my son's armpit hair, which was just days before our appointment with our endo, who saw no signs of puberty, ignored the armpit hair. Did testosterone test, just to confirm no puberty.
I guess I am trying to say, considering his age, his higher BS might not be due to puberty..

Cheers

Thanks for that, I wasn’t sure lol

Jayden2407

I always had better BSL readings during holidays, I think because I was exercising more = better insulin sensitivity.
Also I think that in the last few days of the holiday the thought of the holiday ending probably increased my stress and thus blood sugar levels. And attending a new school was sure to put up my BSLs !!
I also experienced what my doctor called growth spurts.(= puberty). My blood sugar levels would rise progressively over several weeks with increase in my appetite. I would end up on 50% plus increases in insulin requirements (this was before glucose monitors, insulin pens, fancy insulins or insulin pumps). Then after those several weeks I would have hypos and I learnt to quickly reduce my insulin back to pre-growth levels. After the first episode of this 'up and down' on the sea swell of puberty I learnt to quickly respond to the next time with insulin adjustments.
Please discuss the above and your observations with Jayden's DSN and doctor who are best versed to advise you all.
Rejoice in his development !!

Thank you, I will speak to his DN when we go next :)