Can Eating To Much Dextrose Energy Be Bad For You

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I’ve now started back at the gym and while I’m training I like to bum up my sugar with dextro energy tablets the 2 hours or so I’m there I really have no time to stop. My Chemist I by them from makes me feel so bad when I buy them now he says they are not food or I hope your not eating them like sweats. I have a great diet I eat big meal every day.Is eating Dextro to much bad.

D

Deleted Account

I suspect the only bad thing about Dextrose is teeth decay.

Have you tried drinking dilute squash when at the gym instead?
Not only is this cheaper than Dextrose, it is easier to consume, you can dilute it to the level you need and better than the sports drinks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @BrixtonType1 - Does your chemist know you are a type 1 ? Personally I feel this is inappropriate of them to comment on your dextrose consumption, as your doing this whilst training to avoid going low, so you are 'medically treating' your blood glucose levels. Yes there are alternative things you could do like reducing your bolus before exercise, eating extra carbs beforehand etc, if you want to avoid taking extra glucose on board, but as you're a grown adult and know your t1 and body better than anyone else it's up to you what treatment you decide to avoid hypos.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I'd prefer to eat something tasty rather than straight sugar, eg the cyclists favourite, cake. Burning sugars via exercise is the ideal way to get those nice things into your life IMO - except you may want the cake before rather than after.

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the only bad thing about Dextrose is teeth decay.

Have you tried drinking dilute squash when at the gym instead?
Not only is this cheaper than Dextrose, it is easier to consume, you can dilute it to the level you need and better than the sports drinks.

Thanks everyone very helpful response