1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can Eating To Much Dextrose Energy Be Bad For You

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by BrixtonType1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BrixtonType1

BrixtonType1 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi everyone I’ve now started back at the gym and while I’m training I like to bum up my sugar with dextro energy tablets the 2 hours or so I’m there I really have no time to stop. My Chemist I by them from makes me feel so bad when I buy them now he says they are not food or I hope your not eating them like sweats. I have a great diet I eat big meal every day.Is eating Dextro to much bad.

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I suspect the only bad thing about Dextrose is teeth decay.

Have you tried drinking dilute squash when at the gym instead?
    Not only is this cheaper than Dextrose, it is easier to consume, you can dilute it to the level you need and better than the sports drinks.

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @BrixtonType1 - Does your chemist know you are a type 1 ? Personally I feel this is inappropriate of them to comment on your dextrose consumption, as your doing this whilst training to avoid going low, so you are 'medically treating' your blood glucose levels. Yes there are alternative things you could do like reducing your bolus before exercise, eating extra carbs beforehand etc, if you want to avoid taking extra glucose on board, but as you're a grown adult and know your t1 and body better than anyone else it's up to you what treatment you decide to avoid hypos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally I'd prefer to eat something tasty rather than straight sugar, eg the cyclists favourite, cake. Burning sugars via exercise is the ideal way to get those nice things into your life IMO - except you may want the cake before rather than after.

5. BrixtonType1

BrixtonType1 Type 1 · Active Member

Thanks everyone very helpful response

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook