Low Fasting Bgs Levels, Type 2, No Insulin

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all :)

I wonder if you could help/ advise me, please?

I have been following a LCHF diet for months now and it has really helped me, brought my fbg levels right down and helped me lose a lot of lbs.
Recently, past 2 weeks, after a birthday meal (which I couldn’t avoid, I ate pizza express pizza and a marks and spencer dessert) I found myself kicked out of keto zone. Although expected, even after 3 days of resuming my usual LCHF diet of OMAD, I still couldn’t get back into the ‘keto zone’.
My fbgs levels over the last month have been generally under 5. Usually in the mid 4s. So I decided to ditch my metformin as I felt it was unnecessary.
This resulted in a huge spike in my appetite, and bad constipation :/ Resulting in 4-5 days without a bowel movement, only helped by bowl of jelly, some berries with a generous helping of double cream and a Xenical fat tablet.
Not ideal.
So 2 days ago I restarted my metformin - bowel movement was good, appetite better controlled, but fbg levels really low.
Yesterday after feeling really bad I stopped it again.

My weight loss has yo yo, with a 4lb loss in 3 weeks. Normally I would expect a 6 - 8lb + steady loss. Some months previous I have lost 12lbs upto 16lbs, in one month - so about 1/2lb a day if I’m really on it.

In the meantime, my fasting blood levels stayed good around mid 4s again but sometimes dropped to 3.9, once 3.6!!
I have felt unmotivated, tired, weak, and have noticed some people say they won’t drive at 4.6 fbg! Is this true, is it advisable not to drive at this level? I am not on insulin.

* Are these fbg levels good?
* What fbg level should people on keto be aiming for?
* What is advised for keto constipation?
* What is recommended driving bg?
* Should I go back on metformin? (For appetite suppressant)

Thanking you all in advance :)

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Petaluk carbs will spike you and make you feel hungry so it will take a bit of time for your body to get back in sync. Bowel movements could also be from the carb intake. Everyone is different re Bg levels to some 3.6 - 3.9 is very low others are ok. As for Keto again everyone is different depends how strict you are. I have less than 10g carbs per day when not on extended fasting and my bloods are around 5.2 average. For driving its 5.2/3. How much Metformin are you on? When I put my diabetes in remission I dropped to 1x500mg tablet per day (from 4 ) I do this for the other benefits that Metformin provides. Hope you get sorted soon.:)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know, the '5 to drive' rule is for those on medications that drop blood glucose levels. Metformin doesn't, generally, cause hypo's so is not included in this, although I believe some people have been hypo due to taking Metformin.

If you are not prone to hypo's while taking Metformin, and you're not on any other medication to drop your glucose levels, I wouldn't think you should be concerned. However, if you feel unwell, due to low glucose levels, then obviously don't drive until you've had something to eat to bring your levels up a bit.

I'm not a professional - only my thoughts regarding this ;)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Petaluk carbs will spike you and make you feel hungry so it will take a bit of time for your body to get back in sync. Bowel movements could also be from the carb intake. Everyone is different re Bg levels to some 3.6 - 3.9 is very low others are ok. As for Keto again everyone is different depends how strict you are. I have less than 10g carbs per day when not on extended fasting and my bloods are around 5.2 average. For driving its 5.2/3. How much Metformin are you on? When I put my diabetes in remission I dropped to 1x500mg tablet per day (from 4 ) I do this for the other benefits that Metformin provides. Hope you get sorted soon.:)

Hi thank you @Terrytiddy
I’m currently just gone back to 1 x 500mg after trying a week without them.
Do you mean too many carbohydrates can make some people constipated?

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know, the '5 to drive' rule is for those on medications that drop blood glucose levels. Metformin doesn't, generally, cause hypo's so is not included in this, although I believe some people have been hypo due to taking Metformin.

If you are not prone to hypo's while taking Metformin, and you're not on any other medication to drop your glucose levels, I wouldn't think you should be concerned. However, if you feel unwell, due to low glucose levels, then obviously don't drive until you've had something to eat to bring your levels up a bit.

I'm not a professional - only my thoughts regarding this ;)

Interesting! Thank you :)
Do you know what the symptoms of a type 2 hypo is like for someone just on metformin?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ketostix, urine strips - usually early to mid morning, generally before first meal.
Thanks
Something to be aware of then is that those strips are only showing the waste ketones that are being disposed of in your wee, and you may find that when you are keto/fat adapted and actually using ketones, you may end up seeing none at all - one of the first lessons I ever learned when I wondered what I was (apparently!) doing wrong.

Re hypos - symptoms will be the same whether or not you take metformin, but may vary depending on the person: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-a-hypo.html

Before I had diabetes, years ago I had what I now know to be a few migraine related hypos, and felt shakey, sick and cold, and had a HUGE craving for sugar. A few times early on after diagnosis, I had what were probably false hypos since glucose levels were fine, and then just had the sugar craving. These latter can occur if your body gets a bit confused when you've drastically reduced glucose levels, and it's been used to much higher ones, and apparently are not in any way harmful.

Robbity

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you @Terrytiddy
I’m currently just gone back to 1 x 500mg after trying a week without them.
Do you mean too many carbohydrates can make some people constipated?
Hi @Petaluk carbs affect people in different ways so it could be the carbs and some of the foods that you are consuming that could give you constipation.:)