Why Lchf And Not Just Lc?

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, LCHF is promoted on this forum and with excellent results but I was just wondering why does the fat content have to be high? As a T2 I struggle to tolerate sugar and carbs so this is what needs to be addressed, not sure why I need to seek to increase fats over and above those naturally present in diet regime that reduces carbs?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat as much or as little fat as you like. There are people on the forum who eat the whole range from very little, to very much.

Often people seem to find that reducing their carbs means that they need to eat something else instead, and fat and protein are really the only choices.

Personally, my fat intake is dictated by hunger.
Whenever i reduce the fat in meals below a certain level i get hungry. And i have never done well with constant hunger. It makes me irritable, tired, lethargic, impatient and more likely to eat whatever unhealthy foods I can get my hands on. :)

Reactions: MikeyJ

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a moderate amount of fats (higher than before low carb but not as high as some people). I don't eat low fat products (because they often have added sugars in them), however very high amounts of fats upset my stomach. I do find that I need more fat than before low carb because fat helps satiety (making you feel full) and keeps you from getting hungry as often.

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Brunneria, just thinking the seeking 'High Fat' message isn't quite correct, it's more don't unduly worry about the fat content

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
High fat doesn't have to mean swimming in oil, this could mean for 2 fried eggs cooked in a teaspoon of coconut oil, or drizzling 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil on a salad. As carbs are restricted on LCHF, the amount of fat in proportion is larger than standard, just due to the physical amounts. High fat is also about options such as selecting fattier cuts of meat or eating more oily fish, and eating nuts. Some say the "H" in LCHF can stand for "healthy" rather than "high".

My version of LCHF is mainly higher Keto based, so anything around 50 grams of carbs per day, sometimes a lot less. The saturated fats I get are mainly from meat, fish, nuts, seeds, butter, some cheeses, dark chocolate, coconut / mct, avocado, olive oil's and non-grain based flours.

Reactions: loiphamp

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, LCHF is promoted on this forum and with excellent results but I was just wondering why does the fat content have to be high? As a T2 I struggle to tolerate sugar and carbs so this is what needs to be addressed, not sure why I need to seek to increase fats over and above those naturally present in diet regime that reduces carbs?
The fat is there to replace the energy that you don't get by not eating carbs and also to provide satiety. By not being hungry it's far easier to maybe skip a meal or not snack between meals. If you cut carbs and don't increase protein and fat then you will end up in a caloric deficit which may well cause metabolic slow down.

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Mbaker, I like the 'Healthy' fat branding much better than 'High' fat :)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering why does the fat content have to be high?
Hi Mikey, there is one simple idea behind the high amount of fat in LCHF its you can eat as much fat as you want and it does not raise your blood sugar levels. Your body cannot convert fats directly into muscle-ready glycogen. :bookworm:

Which means that you body has to bread down its own fat stores to produce a quick source of energy glycogen. Crazy as it sounds eating Fats makes you loose weight. :joyful:

Like every thing in life it is more complicated than that, however in its simplest form cut down on sugar and carbohydrates and the body needs to find an alternative fuel source. Body Fat.

How this work in real world terms
  • You go low carb and you will start to feel tired/run down so we eat healthy fats as a substitute to sugar and the body will use this for fuel. It takes longer to digest the Fats and as such you feel fuller for longer less hungry.
  • While this is happening any need for a quick release of energy like exercise will opt to break down body fat which can quickly be turned into muscle-ready glycogen.

As counter intuitive as it sounds this is why we go for high fat it helps loose weight and lowers blood sugar levels. Because this is So Counter Intuitive people have taken to re branding LCHF to mean Low Carb Healthy Fat.

Here is a list of some healthy fats.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-super-healthy-high-fat-foods#section2

Hope that helps. ;)
:bag:

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very helpful thank you @There is no Spoon. I think the 'high fat' does spook some people especially if they have associated cholesterol issues so 'healthy' fat woks for me :) I recall when new to diagnosis reading posts on here about Bullet Proof coffee and when I looked up the recipe I felt instantly sick!!! Healthy fat is a much gentler introduction for newbies

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have bulletproof every morning, I love it but I had been diagnosed a year before I tried it because, like you, I was put off by the recipe and thought I might as well drink liquid lard! But, like I say, I adore it.

Basically, we have two sources of fuel for the body and they are fats and carbohydrates. If we cut down on one source of fuel it must be replaced by the other or we simply run out of fuel. The fats can come from two sources, that which we have stored in our bodies and that which we eat. It is logical to use excess fats stored in the body rather than to keep adding to those stored fats which just make us heavier and sicker but it is not dietary fats that add to our weight, it is the carbs that add to our stores and raise our bg to harmful levels. The 'High fat' part of LCHF is only high when directly compared to the (very) low fat diet we have come to think of as normal over the last few decades.
I have deliberately left out protein in this because protein has a far more important role in growth and repair and although it can be used as a fuel it is better suited to these purposes.

As to cholesterol, the human body manufacturers it, in fact all but a couple of types of cells in the body can make it and it is vital for life. Dietary cholesterol (from animal fats) makes up at most 15% of total body cholesterol the other 85% is made by the body. We can absorb a few plant sterols in passing but these are so few it is hardly worth mentioning.

Reactions: cowbag

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bulletproof every morning, I love it but I had been diagnosed a year before I tried it because, like you, I was put off by the recipe and thought I might as well drink liquid lard! But, like I say, I adore it.

Basically, we have two sources of fuel for the body and they are fats and carbohydrates. If we cut down on one source of fuel it must be replaced by the other or we simply run out of fuel. The fats can come from two sources, that which we have stored in our bodies and that which we eat. It is logical to use excess fats stored in the body rather than to keep adding to those stored fats which just make us heavier and sicker but it is not dietary fats that add to our weight, it is the carbs that add to our stores and raise our bg to harmful levels. The 'High fat' part of LCHF is only high when directly compared to the (very) low fat diet we have come to think of as normal over the last few decades.
I have deliberately left out protein in this because protein has a far more important role in growth and repair and although it can be used as a fuel it is better suited to these purposes.

As to cholesterol, the human body manufacturers it, in fact all but a couple of types of cells in the body can make it and it is vital for life. Dietary cholesterol (from animal fats) makes up at most 15% of total body cholesterol the other 85% is made by the body. We can absorb a few plant sterols in passing but these are so few it is hardly worth mentioning.
Thanks, i'm not sure i'll take 'liquid lard' for breakfast anytime soon but hats off to you for going there and liking it

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the high fat label is important because it makes it clear that the 'low fat' message that has been doled out for the last 50 years was just plain wrong. The HF bit stopped me buying low fat products which I had habitually done for years. Low carb is a necessity as is moderate protein so if you are still hungry high fat is there for you, but as others have said you don't have to pile it on your plate if you don't want to do so.

Reactions: cowbag

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of interesting replies here. I follow a LCHF diet, but don't aim to consume high levels of fat, it's just you need to replace the carb calories with something and eating large amounts of protein will push up BGs. Plus many of the protein options I go for contain a good amount of fats - nuts, cheese, meat etc

Reactions: MikeyJ and Energize

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't buy a great deal of fat to add to my food - the main one is olive oil to make salad dressing, so a single purchase lasts a long time.
The letters are simply a reversal of the normal advice of LFHC, to remind us to reverse our thinking - not to buy lean meat, not to pick up the low fat yogurt, and so reverse the problems we have built up over the years of following bad advice.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do moderate fat rather than high meaning I do not eat red meat or anything made from it as I simply do not like it I went off it some time ago I eat chicken fish and eggs mostly and I do love cheese of all kinds so eat quite a bit I also have avocados and olives a good source of fat and I buy what I fancy sometimes it may be a low fat product sometimes full fat but I do check the sugar content not all low fat is high sugar now

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why does the fat content have to be high?

It doesn't.

IMHO using the term LCHF instead of just Low Carb is unnecessary, and probably one of the main reasons it is hard to convince people that reducing their carbohydrate intake is a good and healthy choice.

We need to spread the word, and dropping the HF will help get people to listen.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may consider using the term "carbs lite fats friendly"...

It leaves a lot of room for interpretation...

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
High fat doesn't have to mean swimming in oil, this could mean for 2 fried eggs cooked in a teaspoon of coconut oil, or drizzling 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil on a salad. As carbs are restricted on LCHF, the amount of fat in proportion is larger than standard, just due to the physical amounts. High fat is also about options such as selecting fattier cuts of meat or eating more oily fish, and eating nuts. Some say the "H" in LCHF can stand for "healthy" rather than "high".

My version of LCHF is mainly higher Keto based, so anything around 50 grams of carbs per day, sometimes a lot less. The saturated fats I get are mainly from meat, fish, nuts, seeds, butter, some cheeses, dark chocolate, coconut / mct, avocado, olive oil's and non-grain based flours.

I have been on the LCHF DIET FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. AT FIRST THE WEIGHT JUST FELL OFF. I lost 10 kg. My triglycerides & LDL , which have always been a bit high, became normal & my HDL which has always been low went to a normal level. In addition to the above fats, I also eat clotted cream, butter & use Macadamia oil in cooking & in a savoury drink. I am also now gluten free.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Because fat and protein both lead to feelings of satiety. Protein can cause a rise in blood sugar for some diabetics, therefore a higher fat intake helps them to feel fuller for longer. It also slows absorption of sugars from any carbs that you ingest.

Do a little reading, and you will find out that certain types of fats aren't the demons we have been brainwashed to think they are. They also do not contribute to a rise in cholesterol or cardiac issues. I'd point you towards Dr Aseem Malhotra, the Diet Doctor website, and the Low Carb Programme here for further info.