Forgot Lantus, Now What?

LornaFarrell

I’ve just woken up to a surprisingly high reading (12.6) and I’ve realised I forgot to take any lantus last night. I normally have 40 units.

Presumably I can’t take it now, or I won’t be able to take this evening’s dose. I also have novorapid.

What do I do now?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you sure you forgot? I'd be a lot higher than 12.6 if I forgot mine. :)

I'd probably keep doing blood tests and giving extra novorapid as appropriate. You know how to calculate correction doses?

LornaFarrell

Well, yesterday evening I took my 2 year old to A&E (he’s fine), came home at 9pm, ate and was just about to go to bed when my baby started crying. So I think I just ran upstairs to the baby (so he wouldn’t wake the toddler as they share a room) and once he was settled I went straight to bed without coming back down.

Last time I forgot my morning reading was 24, but I had also missed the novorapid with my evening meal.

D

Deleted Account

You could take your Lantus and move the daily time.
Or, as the other respondents say, take lots of tests and corrections.
It may be exhausting (especially with a young family) but I would go for the latter option and test/correct every couple of hours but be careful not to "stack" your NovoRapid (it lasts for about 4 hours so assume half of it has been used after 2 hours).

You say this has happened before. I realise twice is not a huge number of times but still wonder if there is something you can do to remind yourself. You could set an alarm on your phone or just put a note by your bed/toothbrush ('Have you taken your Lantus?").

When you have a young family it is easy to forget about yourself. Try not to - your health is important.
But don't beat yourself up - you are just human.

K

Knikki

I agree with @EllieM would have thought your sugars would be higher, however it sounds like you had an "exciting" evening so maybe that has counteracted the rise.

If it was me I would inject a little less Lantus this morning and watch my sugars like a hawk, it is unfortunatly going to throw things out for a short while.

Good luck and hope things settle down soon.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @LornaFarrell, You are not the first and will not be the last to do this!! We had a Prime Minister in Australia here who said "life wasn't meant to be easy". ( and later there was a scandal when he somehow lost his trousers on a train trip )!
We live and learn. To add to the excellent suggestions above I would suggest you contact your DSN when possible, explain what happen again and discuss a plan for if it should happen again. Just as we all should have sick day plans etc.
Some insulin pens have devices on them that tell you whether you have already taken a dose (so that you do not double up - and guess who has done that? yes - me).
Whether set an alarm on your watch or mobile to remind you that the Lantus dose is due, with a follow-up alarm or have some other method is up to you. Also ensure that you have a 'hospital' pack with things to take along with spare pens. glucose monitor, something to eat, drink etc. The 'alarm' could have gone off when you were at the hospital but if you don't have your insulin with you - ain't much help. Being prepared is a full time job, let alone children, husband, dog, cat .....
The important thing it that you have learnt something !!

LornaFarrell

Thanks everyone!

@kitedoc I do have a little bag with both types of insulin, needles, safe pot for sharps, mobile meter, diawipes, emergency sugar and my thyroxine tablets. It goes everywhere with me, along with my toddler’s epipens, piriton, inhalers and spacer. Sometimes I feel like a walking pharmacy!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks everyone!

@kitedoc I do have a little bag with both types of insulin, needles, safe pot for sharps, mobile meter, diawipes, emergency sugar and my thyroxine tablets. It goes everywhere with me, along with my toddler’s epipens, piriton, inhalers and spacer. Sometimes I feel like a walking pharmacy!!
You are most definitely allowed to rattle like the rest of us.

Reactions: LornaFarrell