Everyone, Remember This

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How is everyone reading this, are you all ok? Are you? Really ok? It's ok not to be ok.

You are amazing, the person reading this, you. Tell yourself that everytime you look in the mirror, everytime something goes wrong, everytime you question life, remember you are amazing, somebody special to someone, you may not have anyone, but you are a someone.

National Suicide prevention week is this week, and you can help, simply asking someone how they are, could make the difference, it might make no difference, but it can do no harm. If you do anything this week, make your good deed for the day simply asking how someone is, if someone asks how you are, pass that on to someone else and ask how they are. We in society seem to be growing distant from each other, we should all ask each other how we are, family... friends, neighbours... you never know what that might do to lift their spirits.

Diabetics, remember that it is not the end of the road, wether it be your diagnosis, be it unwanted blood sugars, or other related issues, you don't know how close you are to succeeding. Keep trying, fighting, bettering yourselves, all of us, me, you, everyone, you will overcome. You are so close. We are all here for YOU.

If you take anything from this, please let it be that Suicide is preventable, speak to someone today. Acknowledge. Speak. help.

Thankyou

images

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
We in society seem to be growing distant from each other, we should all ask each other how we are, family... friends, neighbours... you never know what that might do to lift their spirits.

You make a very good point. However, I'm one of those people who smiles at almost everyone and frequently say "morning" or similar greeting. The good news is that most people are happy to return a smile and a hello. On the other hand, some people think I'm bonkers.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes well it's not often Henry VIII greets you on the street. :)

D

Deleted Account

Thanks @Dixon1995
One way I try to keep my diabetes in perspective is to not be defined by it.
I am not a diabetic as, to me, that suggests diabetes is all I am - I am a person with diabetes.
I am a person with red hair - I am not a red head
I am a person who works in engineering - I am not an engineer.
I am a person who enjoys exercise - I am not an athlete.
I am me - with all my foibles.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You make a very good point. However, I'm one of those people who smiles at almost everyone and frequently say "morning" or similar greeting. The good news is that most people are happy to return a smile and a hello. On the other hand, some people think I'm bonkers.

If they look at me like im a wierdo I have to take that as they are completely oblivious to what a friendly smile or hello is, some people have never had that, at any point in their life, so it takes them back a bit, well that is my wierd thought on it.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Dixon1995
One way I try to keep my diabetes in perspective is to not be defined by it.
I am not a diabetic as, to me, that suggests diabetes is all I am - I am a person with diabetes.
I am a person with red hair - I am not a red head
I am a person who works in engineering - I am not an engineer.
I am a person who enjoys exercise - I am not an athlete.
I am me - with all my foibles.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I say to people all the time who say their illness defines them, I say no, everything else defines you. You're illness is just an inconvenience of life. You own it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have to admit having had medical training I do tend to use the Medical Model and at times do describe myself as diabetic or myasthenic some times even asthmatic but I do also subscribe to the Social Model so even though I tend to use medical descriptors I do not define myself or limit myself by those labels as I know I am more than that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Agree wholeheartedly. Who among us could not be moved when a toddler, having just learned to say 'Hya!' surprises you in the street with a beaming smile and having answered the baby the Mum gives you a freindly smile, too? Three peoples' days has been brightened and all it took was a small connection instigated by a small person.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Dixon1995. Well said. Sometimes I phone people I haven't seen for quite a while either being a distant relation or friend. Their response always heart rendering and you feel happy within yourself that you've made someone's day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dixon1995 great post and agree. My problem is I chat to everyone everywhere which isnt always welcome but then I know to shut up. My OH says he is constantly amazed to leave me in unfamiliar surroundings, a queue, etc and will come back to find me happily chatting to people around me. I dont know if that counts as being friendly or a nuisance.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Dixon1995. Well said. Sometimes I phone people I haven't seen for quite a while either being a distant relation or friend. Their response always heart rendering and you feel happy within yourself that you've made someone's day.

That is one thing I forgot about, it also makes you feel good knowing that the other person feels good! Thanks Tayelola

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dixon1995 great post and agree. My problem is I chat to everyone everywhere which isnt always welcome but then I know to shut up. My OH says he is constantly amazed to leave me in unfamiliar surroundings, a queue, etc and will come back to find me happily chatting to people around me. I dont know if that counts as being friendly or a nuisance.

My mum is the same, and I wish it was a skill I inherited. Absolutely nothing wrong with it we are meant to be social, some people snub their nose at it but thats their prerogative, it definitely counts as being friendly in my opinion, it raises most peoples spirits I feel, although i'm not super talkative, I like to hear the chit chat of others. Usually it breaks the ice were theres an atmosphere. Thanks:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I know people who have been affected by suicide and no link to a health condition either, it's something that affects all of us and even today I saw a tweet from another type 1 who has been having suicidal thoughts recently, it's more prevalent amongst those who live with a health condition so for me personally I like to connect with other diabetics to make sure they are ok and if you read a post that causes any concern please alert the mod team, we can only but support each other here but sometimes just having the chance to talk to a stranger in a non judgemental way can make all the difference :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few years ago on another site one of our members who had been suffering with mental health problems along with severe disability actually came on line told us she was sorry but she could no longer stand the pain and killed her self while we as a group frantically tried to dissuade her we managed to contact some real life friends of hers but when they got there with the police it was too late this traumatized us as a group for a long time don't think we ever got over it really.She was a much loved member of the forum.

I have known two other persons who ended their own lives one a neighbor who I was talking to one night he seemed fine and reasonably happy the next day his partner came home to find his body I often wonder if there was something more I could have done to help him I will never Know now.

Another was a neighbor of my grand mother's he had been a Japanese POW and it had left him with life long scars both mental and physical.

So if a smile and a good day how are you, can go some way to easing a persons pain then I'm all for it.

We can but do our best.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking as someone who tried and failed, and as someone who lost her first fiancé to suicide: Thank you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, it's great to hear from you :). I am sorry about what happened and going through that..
Thanks for the smile and sympathy. :) I lost my Dougie 21 years ago. Seems like forever. And yesterday. (He never could believe just how beloved he was.) I'm sort of okay now, I guess. Taking care of myself. Didn't think I'd ever care to, so I was quite surprised about it. Diabetes made me realise I had a husband, family, friends and kitties to fight for. So I am. Every day. Both diabetes and my depression.

Life goes on. Sometimes, whether we want it to or not. Better make the best of it...!

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for joining the thread! I couldn't possibly imagine.. That is good Im glad your taking care of yourself. It's crazy what life can throw at oneself. Keep continuing your fight, you are very brave! I myself can't fully comprehend depression as I don't have it, but I know it is on a far deeper level than being sad... remember every day that passes makes you a stronger person for it, thankyou for your story, you're an inspiration :happy:

Ellis79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for writing and sharing. I, too, have my fair share of difficulties. In addition to coping with my 90 - year old Mum whose health is slowly failing, I have my own crises. I had weight loss surgery two and a half years ago, and went through sheer hell in the aftermath as the passage to my stomach was too narrow and I kept choking all the time. I needed two endoscopic dilations to improve my ability to eat, and they only had a partial effect. The massive intervention also caused me to develop IBS and for months I couldn't eat a thing without suffering constant and acute diarrhea and cramps.

And after all that, despite everything I was told and despite losing weight and eating less (and hopefully losing more weight in the future), my blood pressure and diabetes are essentially the same as they were before. So when it comes to eating now, I am essentially between a rock and hard place. If I eat the things I want to eat and should be eating - vegetables and wholegrain fiber etc. - my stomach turns. If I eat the things I can eat but obviously need to eat less of, my sugar goes up.

I am also suffering from debilitating neuropathy, which has probably has more than one cause and which has not responded to medication thus far. I've been using Gabapentin and am going to switch to Lyrica in the hope that it helps.

I confess that there are days when I wonder whether there's any point in waking up in the morning and days when I quite literally wished I wasn't here any more. But I keep going and carrying on with life as best as I can and I believe the meditation practice that I have incorporated into my regular routine has definitely had an impact here.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A good reminder @Dixon1995 .

Suicide can be very selfish and can leave damage and mental injury behind. Not forcing peace like many think.
It is an appalling act but I do understand but it doesn't stop it's devastation.