Blood Too Thick To Measure?

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - hoping someone can help..... am type 2 , controlling with diet ( mixed success). Diagnosed 2014. Been measuring since then. This year a number of times, I try to measure BG as normal, but when I prick my finger and place drop on strip, my blood is so thick it doesn’t even travel on the stick to the reader to get a reading! This is really worrying me. I’ve wasted quite a few strips as well but obviously am more concerned by what this must be doing to me. Ie Thick blood can’t be good for me inside.I have tried drinking loads during the day ( to the point am constantly going to the loo, and pee is clear ....so not dehydrated) When I finally get a reading, ( repeating a few times) it’s generally around 6.5. Not perfect , but not hideous? Has anyone else had this? Any idea as to causes? ( other than the well you’ve got diabetes...)??? Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most sticks require that you don't drop the blood on it but touch the top end of the stick to the drop of blood. The stick sort of sucks it up.

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Antje- yeah sorry I wasn’t describing it well: that’s what happens normally- blood touches end of stick and it ‘sucks’ it up. But when I have this ‘thick’ blood it kind of just sits there on top and isn’t sucked up so I assume it’s too thick to do so.

Reactions: Flora123

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. I would normally have the stick horizontal and slide it gently through the bubble of blood to help the blood travel up the stick. No smearing and the stick maintains contact with my skin. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Flora123

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guzzler- thanks but I don’t think it’s technique as I’ve been measuring for 4 years no problem. It happens occasionally and the blood does seem thicker than normal. I’ll definitely revisit the technique to check. I am worried about thicker blood though and wondered if anyone has experienced it? Especially as reading around the subject (although limited info) suggests link to heart attacks:(

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi Guzzler- thanks but I don’t think it’s technique as I’ve been measuring for 4 years no problem. It happens occasionally and the blood does seem thicker than normal. I’ll definitely revisit the technique to check. I am worried about thicker blood though and wondered if anyone has experienced it? Especially as reading around the subject (although limited info) suggests link to heart attacks:(

I would be tempted to mention it to the GP in your shoes, if only to put my mind at rest.
I am a smoker so my blood is said to be thicker (no idea if that is true or not) but I have only ever failed to get enough blood into the strip or rather the blood has not been taken all the way up the strip, just once.

Don't sit and stress on it, ask your DN/GP or better still a phlebotomist if you have blood draws done by one.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Ceebee2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you might be coagulating very quickly? Might be worth getting checked out by a HCP just to see if it i anyting to worry about. I'm afraid I have no personal experience as I'm the opposite.. a bit of a "bleeder".

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found taking fish or flax oil help thin blood.

Hi - hoping someone can help..... am type 2 , controlling with diet ( mixed success). Diagnosed 2014. Been measuring since then. This year a number of times, I try to measure BG as normal, but when I prick my finger and place drop on strip, my blood is so thick it doesn’t even travel on the stick to the reader to get a reading! This is really worrying me. I’ve wasted quite a few strips as well but obviously am more concerned by what this must be doing to me. Ie Thick blood can’t be good for me inside.I have tried drinking loads during the day ( to the point am constantly going to the loo, and pee is clear ....so not dehydrated) When I finally get a reading, ( repeating a few times) it’s generally around 6.5. Not perfect , but not hideous? Has anyone else had this? Any idea as to causes? ( other than the well you’ve got diabetes...)??? Thanks

I have a factor v leiden which causes my blood to run thick and recurrent pulmonary embolism due to this disorder. I'm now on life long apixiban to treat this which touch wood has worked well now for 3 years. Please do get your blood coagulation checked with gp as if there is a problem it is easily rectified with meds and can literally be a potential life safer. Sorry I don't mean to worry you at all. X

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My clotting speed varies a lot, and now all my blood tests over the past 2 years show an excess of red blood cells, ie my blood is thicker at those times - no idea why and my docs don't really have any answers, they just change the subject.
It wasn't even noted down when I bled all over the floor after a nurse very carefully removed a cannula from my hand.

I discovered last year that one of my uncles has the same clotting issue, in his case it's marked on his notes so his gets checked before operations!

MICHAELD11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be a good idea to speak to your doctor, so if tests are required he can have these arranged.

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have a factor v leiden which causes my blood to run thick and recurrent pulmonary embolism due to this disorder. I'm now on life long apixiban to treat this which touch wood has worked well now for 3 years. Please do get your blood coagulation checked with gp as if there is a problem it is easily rectified with meds and can literally be a potential life safer. Sorry I don't mean to worry you at all. X
I have a mutated prothrombin gene, the other one, rather than V Leiden. My blood sometimes seems very thick. I take turmeric capsules & occasionally a soluble aspirin, which seems to help with the flow. Occasionally it spurts out when I prick my finger. My d diner reading is 3, but they don’t recommend any anticoagulant. I also have a condition called MGUS . Blood sugar stays around 5.8 to 6.5 normally. Agree that you should get the clotting screen done just to check.

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be tempted to mention it to the GP in your shoes, if only to put my mind at rest.
I am a smoker so my blood is said to be thicker (no idea if that is true or not) but I have only ever failed to get enough blood into the strip or rather the blood has not been taken all the way up the strip, just once.

Don't sit and stress on it, ask your DN/GP or better still a phlebotomist if you have blood draws done by one.
Good Luck.
Yes I think after reading all the threads it’s off to the docs I go- I am a bit reluctant as on original diabetes diagnosis I was about to be put on about 4 different meds! But I need to face up to the fear and go - Thankyou all!

Reactions: Antje77

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a mutated prothrombin gene, the other one, rather than V Leiden. My blood sometimes seems very thick. I take turmeric capsules & occasionally a soluble aspirin, which seems to help with the flow. Occasionally it spurts out when I prick my finger. My d diner reading is 3, but they don’t recommend any anticoagulant. I also have a condition called MGUS . Blood sugar stays around 5.8 to 6.5 normally. Agree that you should get the clotting screen done just to check.
Will do - thanks. Whatever it is , it’s obviously not something common so I’ll see what they say, thanks

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I just bought turmeric capsules so will make sure to take them, thank you :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad had a Jac2 gene mutation that caused thick blood. They dismissed him for a fair while til he pushed for testing due to symptoms put down to his copd. Rare things do happen to some people. . His just needed blood letting every few months to keep it in check Be brave and get it checked, they can’t make you take meds unless you agree to it. Ask for all the information you need to make an informed choice

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The following all are believed have blood thinning properties

Red wine say a glass a day
Cinnamon
Aspirin I take it at non therapeutic dose daily
Turmeric you already know about
Almonds for vitamin E
Cayenne Pepper
Ginger
Garlic
Olive oil
Ginseng
Chamomile Tea
Evening Primrose Oil

Those are just a few I know of.

Most have to be taken care with, if you are on blood thinning medications.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The following all are believed have blood thinning properties

Red wine say a glass a day
Cinnamon
Aspirin I take it at non therapeutic dose daily
Turmeric you already know about
Almonds for vitamin E
Cayenne Pepper
Ginger
Garlic
Olive oil
Ginseng
Chamomile Tea
Evening Primrose Oil

Those are just a few I know of.

Most have to be taken care with, if you are on blood thinning medications.

My mum always used to say vinegar thins the blood.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Add it to the list she probably was right.

One thing I should mention is with cinnamon if you take excessive amounts it can damage the liver.