Over 65s Miss Out On 2018 Quadruple Flu Jab

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. The "more effective" bit is because it has the extra chemical included in it to boost the immune system. The purpose of that is to help your body fight off any potential flu you may catch despite the vaccination. They assume all over 65s have low immunity, which patently is not the case. However, the vaccine only contains immunity to 3 flu strains, and not the 4th strain that the under 65s are getting.

Yes, it will be in short supply as I mentioned earlier in the thread because the NHS is only using one supplier who have to supply the whole country. Previously there were several suppliers.
The supplies of vaccine are being phased from September to November, so some surgeries and pharmacies will be able to start the vaccination program before others.
My reading of the description of the action of the adjuvant (MF59) in the adjuvanted Trivalent Vaccine (Fluad) is that it only enhances the action of the vaccine rather than the immune system in general.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why is that?

I was extremely ill for 6 months after having a flu jab, I was Chair of the Patients Group and didn’t want to be a hypocrite by not having one!

Then I spoke to a senior partner of the practice and and he said he did not believe in pushing chemicals in your body for the chance of having flu once in 40 years. He had to be a hypocrite to his own beliefs because of his position within the NGS.

It’s only my own personal experience. I had flu at 25 years old. I reckon I have another 10 years before I will consider my position if I get that far.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find the delay is due to some vaccines not being available until 12th October. Our Practice was going to do flu jab session on 13th but decided not to risk it because there is no guarantee that the vaccines will be released to all practices on that date...

My surgery has been doing them during September. They have bookable clinics through September (now fully booked), October and November.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I been booked in for my flu jab the receptionist said there was two colors this year , pink and blue pink was for the elderly and blue for people under 65....I did think it was weird and did wonder why they had seperated people due to age differences but now I know why :p

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to this article,
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/sep/12/over-65s-to-be-given-more-effective-flu-vaccine
Last year’s vaccine was only 30% effective.
This year, with the booster, it will rise to 50% effective, but they can’t add in the 4th strain vaccine.

It is just swings and roundabouts.

Personally, I don’t see that 4 at 30% wins out over 3 at 50% when both stats are just roughly guesstimated speculative figures.

There is also evidence that having the jab every year actually reduces its effectiveness.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery has been doing them during September. They have bookable clinics through September (now fully booked), October and November.
I get mine done at Asda these days. Gave up trying to book a 3 min slot at the surgery to suit me when working full time. I do tell my surgery as I think Asda and similar take months to pass the info on meaning surgeries can over order the stuff.

trollhunter

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
This forum arbitrarily setting me to a type 1 when I am not.
I'm more concerned about this immune system booster.
What is it, how does it work, what are the side effects?

According to my flu invite letter, the vaccine I am being offered contains latex.Which to be honest freaks me out. It also says if you are over 65 and allergic to latex you shouldn't have it. Which in turn implies if under 65 but allergic to latex you are still ok to have the shot!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my flu invite letter, the vaccine I am being offered contains latex.Which to be honest freaks me out. It also says if you are over 65 and allergic to latex you shouldn't have it. Which in turn implies if under 65 but allergic to latex you are still ok to have the shot!

Its a bummer if you have the latex one without knowing you are allergic to it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Its a bummer if you have the latex one without knowing you are allergic to it.

The latex thing is good to know - I am allergic. Have refused flu vaccines to date anyway as not convinced of their effectiveness.