1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Over 65s Miss Out On 2018 Quadruple Flu Jab

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bluetit1802, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The supplies of vaccine are being phased from September to November, so some surgeries and pharmacies will be able to start the vaccination program before others.
    My reading of the description of the action of the adjuvant (MF59) in the adjuvanted Trivalent Vaccine (Fluad) is that it only enhances the action of the vaccine rather than the immune system in general.

2. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why is that?

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I was extremely ill for 6 months after having a flu jab, I was Chair of the Patients Group and didn’t want to be a hypocrite by not having one!

Then I spoke to a senior partner of the practice and and he said he did not believe in pushing chemicals in your body for the chance of having flu once in 40 years. He had to be a hypocrite to his own beliefs because of his position within the NGS.

It’s only my own personal experience. I had flu at 25 years old. I reckon I have another 10 years before I will consider my position if I get that far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

My surgery has been doing them during September. They have bookable clinics through September (now fully booked), October and November.

6. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I been booked in for my flu jab the receptionist said there was two colors this year , pink and blue pink was for the elderly and blue for people under 65....I did think it was weird and did wonder why they had seperated people due to age differences but now I know why :p

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

According to this article,
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/sep/12/over-65s-to-be-given-more-effective-flu-vaccine
    Last year’s vaccine was only 30% effective.
    This year, with the booster, it will rise to 50% effective, but they can’t add in the 4th strain vaccine.

It is just swings and roundabouts.

Personally, I don’t see that 4 at 30% wins out over 3 at 50% when both stats are just roughly guesstimated speculative figures.

There is also evidence that having the jab every year actually reduces its effectiveness.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get mine done at Asda these days. Gave up trying to book a 3 min slot at the surgery to suit me when working full time. I do tell my surgery as I think Asda and similar take months to pass the info on meaning surgeries can over order the stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. trollhunter

trollhunter Other · Member

According to my flu invite letter, the vaccine I am being offered contains latex.Which to be honest freaks me out. It also says if you are over 65 and allergic to latex you shouldn't have it. Which in turn implies if under 65 but allergic to latex you are still ok to have the shot!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Its a bummer if you have the latex one without knowing you are allergic to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The latex thing is good to know - I am allergic. Have refused flu vaccines to date anyway as not convinced of their effectiveness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook