Bone Broth

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unbelievably I have asked at every butcher I am aware of in my area (Oxford UK) and all have refused to sell bones. I even took to blaming the needs of a fictitious dog but was told to try pet shops. I see there are concentrates available do you folks use these? Or even better has anyone a clue as to a place where some could be had in the Oxford area? I think it would be easier to buy black market Metformin !

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unbelievably I have asked at every butcher I am aware of in my area (Oxford UK) and all have refused to sell bones. I even took to blaming the needs of a fictitious dog but was told to try pet shops. I see there are concentrates available do you folks use these? Or even better has anyone a clue as to a place where some could be had in the Oxford area? I think it would be easier to buy black market Metformin !
I am astonished! My butchers either sell for a few pennies or even free. They have to pay to have them taken away.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am astonished! My butchers either sell for a few pennies or even free. They have to pay to have them taken away.
You must be in the North. For the more sophisticated Southern market they now breed animals without bones.

Reactions: xfieldok

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always buy meat with bones on (shoulders, ribs, whole chickens, chops, lamb henrys, ham hocks, etc)

Our butcher sells bones 'for dogs' and chicken carcasses 'for soup' at around £2 a carrier bag.
The butcher in the next town over gives them away, and when he saw my two mutts sitting on the doorstep salivating, he laughed (they are small dogs) and disappeared out the back with all the bones. 5 mins later he reappeared with them all chopped into smaller pieces. Bless him!)
Morrisons have 'lamb bones' for less than £1 in a sealed pack.
Tescos sell many different ribs.

Until I started looking for bones, I didn't really notice them, but now they seem to be EVERYWHERE.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've often found them in Morrisons, but they don't always have them, it seems.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Our Butcher gives them on the understanding I put some money in the charity box.
I approve of this.

Tony

Reactions: Colin of Kent

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@FantomPoet - I'm one of those irritating ones whose butcher gives them to be with no charge, although we only buy our meat from the butcher, and just ask when I'm in there.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Birmingham and cut through the market to get to where I needed to be. There were bones, literally, by the skip load there. Both there and at a Korean supermarket I visit occasionally when passing, the Chines butchers sell very part of every bird (although actually I haven't seen any heads), including trays of chicken feet (which as considered a delicacy). The Korean place usually has a few fresh trays, but far, far more in their freezers.

Do you have any Chinese or other such places around Oxford? Birmingham's a bit far to go for bones, I'm guessing, and to make it worthwhile, you'd have to clear freezer space to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally just buy chicken with bones in and pop the cooked bones and any scraps in my "bone bag" in the freezer, and boil them up when I think I've accumulated enough. What I end up with is a nice solid jelly to use, but I don't really drink gallons of broth.

When I cooked for both of us , I was never "allowed" to save any chicken carcasses even though we had two dogs who could have the pickings.:banghead: Now I just cook for myself so never get a chance to cook/eat a whole chicken any more...

Robbity

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@FantomPoet - I'm one of those irritating ones whose butcher gives them to be with no charge, although we only buy our meat from the butcher, and just ask when I'm in there.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Birmingham and cut through the market to get to where I needed to be. There were bones, literally, by the skip load there. Both there and at a Korean supermarket I visit occasionally when passing, the Chines butchers sell very part of every bird (although actually I haven't seen any heads), including trays of chicken feet (which as considered a delicacy). The Korean place usually has a few fresh trays, but far, far more in their freezers.

Do you have any Chinese or other such places around Oxford? Birmingham's a bit far to go for bones, I'm guessing, and to make it worthwhile, you'd have to clear freezer space to make it worthwhile.

Good Call, I never thought of the markets, guess I'll be over to them on Saturday Thanks

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally just buy chicken with bones in and pop the cooked bones and any scraps in my "bone bag" in the freezer, and boil them up when I think I've accumulated enough. What I end up with is a nice solid jelly to use, but I don't really drink gallons of broth.

When I cooked for both of us , I was never "allowed" to save any chicken carcasses even though we had two dogs who could have the pickings.:banghead: Now I just cook for myself so never get a chance to cook/eat a whole chicken any more...

Robbity

I'll give it a go, I still get to cook whole chickens and never thought to use them for their bones.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll give it a go, I still get to cook whole chickens and never thought to use them for their bones.

You have to have a bone bag in the freezer! Our roasting joints are always "bone in", as we feel they are more flavourful, so when we have eaten, and cold cuts have been taken, the bone heads to the freezer. Of course that means that our bone broth isn't beef, lamb or pork, because it would usually have a mixed load of bones in there. It doesn't impact on the deliciousness of it though. :hungry:

Reactions: FantomPoet