1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bone Broth

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by FantomPoet, Sep 18, 2018.

1. FantomPoet

FantomPoet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unbelievably I have asked at every butcher I am aware of in my area (Oxford UK) and all have refused to sell bones. I even took to blaming the needs of a fictitious dog but was told to try pet shops. I see there are concentrates available do you folks use these? Or even better has anyone a clue as to a place where some could be had in the Oxford area? I think it would be easier to buy black market Metformin !

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am astonished! My butchers either sell for a few pennies or even free. They have to pay to have them taken away.

3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You must be in the North. For the more sophisticated Southern market they now breed animals without bones.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

You could always buy meat with bones on (shoulders, ribs, whole chickens, chops, lamb henrys, ham hocks, etc)

Our butcher sells bones 'for dogs' and chicken carcasses 'for soup' at around £2 a carrier bag.
    The butcher in the next town over gives them away, and when he saw my two mutts sitting on the doorstep salivating, he laughed (they are small dogs) and disappeared out the back with all the bones. 5 mins later he reappeared with them all chopped into smaller pieces. Bless him!)
    Morrisons have 'lamb bones' for less than £1 in a sealed pack.
    Tescos sell many different ribs.

Until I started looking for bones, I didn't really notice them, but now they seem to be EVERYWHERE.

5. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've often found them in Morrisons, but they don't always have them, it seems.

6. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Our Butcher gives them on the understanding I put some money in the charity box.
    I approve of this.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@FantomPoet - I'm one of those irritating ones whose butcher gives them to be with no charge, although we only buy our meat from the butcher, and just ask when I'm in there.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Birmingham and cut through the market to get to where I needed to be. There were bones, literally, by the skip load there. Both there and at a Korean supermarket I visit occasionally when passing, the Chines butchers sell very part of every bird (although actually I haven't seen any heads), including trays of chicken feet (which as considered a delicacy). The Korean place usually has a few fresh trays, but far, far more in their freezers.

Do you have any Chinese or other such places around Oxford? Birmingham's a bit far to go for bones, I'm guessing, and to make it worthwhile, you'd have to clear freezer space to make it worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I generally just buy chicken with bones in and pop the cooked bones and any scraps in my "bone bag" in the freezer, and boil them up when I think I've accumulated enough. What I end up with is a nice solid jelly to use, but I don't really drink gallons of broth.

When I cooked for both of us , I was never "allowed" to save any chicken carcasses even though we had two dogs who could have the pickings.:banghead: Now I just cook for myself so never get a chance to cook/eat a whole chicken any more...

Robbity

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. FantomPoet

Good Call, I never thought of the markets, guess I'll be over to them on Saturday Thanks

10. FantomPoet

I'll give it a go, I still get to cook whole chickens and never thought to use them for their bones.

11. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

You have to have a bone bag in the freezer! Our roasting joints are always "bone in", as we feel they are more flavourful, so when we have eaten, and cold cuts have been taken, the bone heads to the freezer. Of course that means that our bone broth isn't beef, lamb or pork, because it would usually have a mixed load of bones in there. It doesn't impact on the deliciousness of it though. :hungry:

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook