Just got my Type one diabetic tattoo

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wanted to show people and see if anyone else had any done. I don't like wearing medical bracelets or necklaces so I decided to get a tattoo as a solution because I love tattoos has anyone else got one? Here's mine (pic below)
IMG_2785.jpg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just wanted to show people and see if anyone else had any done. I don't like wearing medical bracelets or necklaces so I decided to get a tattoo as a solution because I love tattoos has anyone else got one? Here's mine (pic below) View attachment 28540
No, because I don't like tattoos (on me, I don't even pierce my ears :)), but if you're happy with them then I think that could be the best choice that you could ever make - there's a significant chance that that will save your life one of these days. (Of course, there's always the chance that there'll be a cure one of these days, but I've been promised one for the last 48 years so I'm not holding my breath.) Good on you for being so proactive about T1. I defy any ambulance worker to ignore that.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea. I'm a Type 2 (who doesn't take any meds or insulin) so I don't think I'll get one but if I was Type 1, I certainly would. I got my first tattoo 2 years ago on the inside of my wrist at age 59, a memorial tattoo for my son. BTW, was 2016 the year of your diagnosis?

Have you seen this gallery? Some are "medic alert" diabetic tattoos like yours (mostly Type 1).
http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/tattoos.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I just wanted to show people and see if anyone else had any done. I don't like wearing medical bracelets or necklaces so I decided to get a tattoo as a solution because I love tattoos has anyone else got one? Here's mine (pic below) View attachment 28540
Looks good BUT, apart from telling people of your condition, it does not provide information on who to contact about your condition or how to access other clinical information about you.
This makes it quite inadequate when compared to bracelet and other health information wear.
And what if you are allergic to something or have severe adverse reactions to something?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tattoo provides instant alert for medical staff. (Tattoos are not my thing but that is personal.) Hopefully any extra relevant info will be on a smart phone under the heart sign. I am readily informed that medical staff now check this app.
I have all mine on a bracelet as I’m Rhesus blood type and have various important allergies. But it is also on my phone.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted Account

Looks good BUT, apart from telling people of your condition, it does not provide information on who to contact about your condition or how to access other clinical information about you.
This makes it quite inadequate when compared to bracelet and other health information wear.
And what if you are allergic to something or have severe adverse reactions to something?
In my experience, ambulance staff do not have time to look for all clinical information.
It is usual in the UK to have a ICE (In Case of Emergency) number on our phones. This number should call a person with this information (and probably more). This is used as secondary information.
I have my ICE number on my locked screen: it is no use in the contacts list if you don't know my PIN.

@Alex_B the Tatt looks great.
I wonder what was your thinking on the year. I realise it was the year you were diagnosed; is this for you or emergency staff?

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Nice. It looks great. Now the bad news a cure for Diabetes was discovered yesterday and we will all be cured by the end of the week :) You should add your Blood group as well.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I guess if you have a potentially fatal allergy or other immediately life threatening condition you'd put that on a tattoo too. But it seems to me that the whole point of a T1 tattoo is that it's there and easily found all the time and that's information that can save your life if you're found unconscious or extremely hypo. I used to wear a medic alert bracelet whose red lettering eventually wore away, before the band eventually broke and I lost it. This thread reminds me that I should get a new one.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I guess if you have a potentially fatal allergy or other immediately life threatening condition you'd put that on a tattoo too. But it seems to me that the whole point of a T1 tattoo is that it's there and easily found all the time and that's information that can save your life if you're found unconscious or extremely hypo. I used to wear a medic alert bracelet whose red lettering eventually wore away, before the band eventually broke and I lost it. This thread reminds me that I should get a new one.

Me too, I lost or mislaid mine :oops:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In my experience, ambulance staff do not have time to look for all clinical information.
It is usual in the UK to have a ICE (In Case of Emergency) number on our phones. This number should call a person with this information (and probably more). This is used as secondary information.
I have my ICE number on my locked screen: it is no use in the contacts list if you don't know my PIN.

@Alex_B the Tatt looks great.
I wonder what was your thinking on the year. I realise it was the year you were diagnosed; is this for you or emergency staff?
MedicAlert bracelet/necklace has clinical info on the disc including a contact number, available 24/7. They have more clinical information, doctor name, contact details, next of kin, information.
Ambos (ambulance officers) in Australia do contact them if the patient is wearing this type of I.D. As will police where needed.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Had mine for a few years.
1537362113689.jpg

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tattoo is great and I also am thinking about getting the same-ish one, not so much for the fact that it is easily seen by medical staff if needed, but that because type 1 diabetes has become such a part of my life that I would like to turn the negatives about my condition into something positive.

As for having medical I.D and bracelets thats all well and good as for how many times you remember to wear them, this is a permanent feature incase of an emergency your major illness is right there to see, as the most likely medical emergency for a type 1 diabetes (without other illness) is a hypo fit or coma. Nice one dude

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A good idea although getting a tattoo isn't for me, one reason being with all my problems and allergies it would start at my shoulder and end at my wrist. I think you did right though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s gorgeous! While I have (quite a few) tattoos, I’d not get a diabetes one. Mine are all to celebrate positive things, and I see T1 as overwhelmingly negative, although I appreciate not everyone does.

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My bracelet has also lost its red ink but has not come off me feel so safe with it on now. Have worn it all the time for over 15 years and would never change it for a lifelong tattoo !! So unnecessary a tattoo and no information either on it ridiculous!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bracelet has also lost its red ink but has not come off me feel so safe with it on now. Have worn it all the time for over 15 years and would never change it for a lifelong tattoo !! So unnecessary a tattoo and no information either on it ridiculous!
Perhaps check how many people lose jewellery when involved in road traffic accidents. Your bracelet could find itself far detached from you in certain circumstances. A friend of mine who was involved in a head on collision with a drunk driver only got one of his shoes back because a fireman picked it up whilst searching away from the vehicle for any other passengers. It was definitely on his foot prior impact but no one is quite sure how it ended up where it did.
Your bracelet, with all its information could prove useless in some situations.
Yes I am a proud owner of a ridiculous tattoo. Live and let live.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It might not be your thing, but there’s no need to be quite so judgmental, is there?

Reactions: Dodo