1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just got my Type one diabetic tattoo

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Alex_B, Sep 19, 2018.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As regards the diabetes, T1 diabetic says it all. Any medical attender would know that that means "on insulin" and as far as I'm concerned that's the immediate health issue that might kill me if the attender didn't know about it. I agree that tattoos aren't for everyone (including me) but I can see their logic and if I were to get a tattoo I'd definitely get a diabetic one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A few years ago - came across a guy collapsed in the street, so called an ambulance. I was very reassured to see that almost the first thing the paramedic did (after checking breathing etc) was to swab the guys finger and test his blood sugar.

• Like Like x 5
  3. janeygirl

janeygirl Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I have a t2d tattoo mines a feather scribe with the letters T2D underneath , got mine as I couldn’t find any jewellery that I liked

• Like Like x 1
  4. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have 2 tattoos but not a T2 yet .................

5. lucy67

lucy67 Type 1 · Member

I had my one done a couple of years ago and when I went into hospital the doctors and nurses thought it was an excellent idea. 1537549073638.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. nicks2cv

nicks2cv · Newbie

i have a T1D tattoo almost the same design, and having been in hospital at the start of the year due to being diagnosed with vasculitis i was complemented on the tattoo by medical staff . I have to say it looks fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Surely it’s up to the individual how they highlight the fact that they have a serious illness and @Alex_B has chosen a tattoo which provides instant visibility in an emergency. My husband wears a necklace because he has a number of serious ailments, takes meds etc that need to be taken into account before any treatment but it has come undone a couple of times - at least that will not happen with a tattoo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I onced tried to get a tattoo but was told that I could not because I was diabetic (I was secretly relieved anyway!)?
    (goes into the collection with leg waxing or anything that applies heat or carries the risk of infection I think) .
    Has this ever been mentioned to you tattoo'ed people?

9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Really? I’ve never had anyone say that to me, and I’ve had all mine since diagnosis.

10. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This was Salisbury circa mid 90s. Maybe I should try again! I promised husband a piglet on my hip...but maybe not aged 47 - would definitely embarrass my kids! Not at all sure about having the D word inscribed though the fact that I am wearing a pump should give it away to an ambulance person...

11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Well, I’m in my mid 40s and had a half sleeve done last year :) And I don’t intend to stop hehehe

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A lot of tattoo artists/parlours will ask if you are diabetic. (I wasn't when I got mine 2 1/2 years ago but they did ask me on my information form.)

I think the concern is hypos and slower healing/possible infection if they are a person with poorly controlled diabetes. However, I've heard most will tattoo well controlled diabetics of either type provided they follow the aftercare instructions (which everyone with a new healing tattoo should.)

http://blog.joslin.org/2015/02/the-safe-way-to-get-ink-when-you-have-diabetes/

As far as a Piglet on your hip, if you want it, I'd say go for it. Tattoos are a very personal decision and should be the choice of the adult getting the tattoo. (I occasionally run across the odd person who objects to tattoos in general, a friend of mine actually had the nerve to tell me she disliked my inside wrist tattoo! I told her that it was for my late son- it has his name and my tattoo was my body and my choice.) I'm considering getting another tattoo on my shoulder of Canadian Shield country (an island with spruce trees on a lake, possibly a canoe) in the next few years.

PS Don't worry about age, I was 60 when I got mine & my artist told me he recently tattooed an 84 year old man for the first time with his late wife's signature.)

• Like Like x 1
    #32 Chronicle_Cat, Sep 22, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook