Is this normal per say

BearZA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This mid morning (around 11:00) I ate a chicken burger and chips like a bad boy i know, I am at work and had a weak moment.
Did my BS now, almost 3hrs later and its 9.3mmol (167.4) Is this possible? I have not had anything since.

My Rx is 2g Metformin nocte and I took it last night at around 20:00

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very possible.. do you know what your blood sugar was before eating?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only possible but normal - if you put in carbs then the resulting glucose has to go somewhere - your bloodstream.
I'd advise having breakfast - something with few carbs but lots of protein and fat, and then not being so vulnerable to temptation.
Last time I had beefburgers I ate them with a large salad and a slice of protein bread ( under 10gm of carb) so you don't have to give up on fast food, just eat the things which are not going to be a problem.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is a normal reaction for someone who does not metabolise carbohydrates efficiently. For a non Diabetic this would be abnormal.

jonathanTHP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is "normal" for diabetic but it can be controlled.
It seems that you had a meal with too many carbs. You know it too... I have a method for those "weak" moments which I have myself from time to time - if you ate more than you should have, go for a 30 min walk just after, climb the stairs back to the office instead of taking the elevator. Do something physical. If you go back to sitting in an office then you double the effect and high glucose levels 3 hours later are then possible. very possible.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is "normal" for diabetic but it can be controlled.
It seems that you had a meal with too many carbs. You know it too... I have a method for those "weak" moments which I have myself from time to time - if you ate more than you should have, go for a 30 min walk just after, climb the stairs back to the office instead of taking the elevator. Do something physical. If you go back to sitting in an office then you double the effect and high glucose levels 3 hours later are then possible. very possible.

This is good advice for the occasional wobble but as a long term strategy it could lead to carb creep. Better to learn from our mistakes and avoid high carb foods. Walking after a meal is a great habit to get into for everyone but we must be aware that for those with insulin resistance 'You can't outrun a bad diet '.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!! I've got carb creep!!

Reactions: Daphne917

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This mid morning (around 11:00) I ate a chicken burger and chips like a bad boy i know, I am at work and had a weak moment.
Did my BS now, almost 3hrs later and its 9.3mmol (167.4) Is this possible? I have not had anything since.

My Rx is 2g Metformin nocte and I took it last night at around 20:00
Next time you have a weak moment, order a beef burger or two without the bun. (Maybe hold the sauce too, add extra bacon lettuce and tomato). My life's got a lot more relaxed since I didn't have to avoid McD's and BK anymore. ;)

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
It's a meal. You have several meals a day. If you are testing before and after every meal and this was the only one to be a problem then don't sweat it. If this meal was representative of your daily diet then maybe absorb some of the tips on here.
In a nutshell though to answer your question, is it normal for BG to spike to unacceptable levels after eating carbs, the answer is "hell yeah!"