How many eggs do you eat per week?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 3 every morning scrambled with a cuppa, despite there been very little carbs in eggs and only a splash of milk, I need 6 units to cover it.
Eggs ( or any protein for that matter) spike me huge in the morning. No issues later in the day. I need a low carb low protein bf. Huge fat. Avocado it is

I've read cooking eggs under water, such as hard boiled or poached is the healthiest. I don't know it it's true or not....
( this was in answer to someone's else's question)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs ( or any protein for that matter) spike me huge in the morning. No issues later in the day. I need a low carb low protein bf. Huge fat. Avocado it is

I've read cooking eggs under water, such as hard boiled or poached is the healthiest. I don't know it it's true or not....
( this was in answer to someone's else's question)
I am sure that is much healthier than fried

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 3 free range scrambled for dinner everyday with chives so 21 a week (sounds a lot :shock:).I think I should get some chickens of my own :lol:

Just started reading this thread so forgive me if this has been said before.

I got some chickens after I was diagnosed so that I could have real free range eggs as many of those you get which are labelled as such really aren't what one would think of as free range and many are sprayed with chemicals to stops pests, infections etc. I was looking on line for chickens for sale and came across the British Hen Welfare Trust and got myself some ex battery hens. They were in an appalling state when I got them, I really didn't think two of the four would make it! I christened one of them "oven ready" (no feathers) and one Ruby (not many feathers and covered in blood). Within just over a month they were happy, healthy chickens. One never gave me any eggs but the other 3 were prolific layers for several years giving me huge brown eggs.

I have had three lots of ex bats over the years and am now down to one who had gone broody and wasn't laying, plus my "posh"hens which I was given; three Appenzeler Spitzhauben (pretty black and white chickens) and 3 Brahama crosses

I am getting two more ex bats next Sunday and the thought of that seems to have frightened my broody hen into laying again; maybe she heard my son say he would get rid of her for me: I don't think so, she had earned her retirement. I have two eggs every morning for breakfast and I keep my son's family supplied (his daughter is a vegetarian) and give the surplus to friends.

Anyone wanting chickens you can't do better for friendly hens who lay huge brown eggs than ex battery hens.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot. I typically eat some form of eggs daily, including hard-boiled, fried, or omelet. So, maybe 14-18 a week? :woot:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was eating 2, 3 or 4 a day til a few weeks ago so 15-30 a week I went off them completely and suddenly. Been 0 the last few weeks until yesterday. Struggling without them so will bring a few back

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ghost_whistler

That’s been dropped by even the slow responding nhs quite a few years ago. This even admits it was probably faulty advice to start with https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/is-the-egg-myth-beaten/.

Maybe we’ll see something similar about the eatwell plate eventually
It would be very good to see the science settled but that will take a while yet. It's a shame because eggs are relatively cheap and otherwise extremely nutritious, there's no doubt about it.

TBH that article is a bit of a double edges sword because it says "The authors say there is now “no doubt that a raised concentration of serum LDL-cholesterol increases the risk of coronary heart disease”"

Then says that eggs are less unhealthy than saturated fat from meat.

Typically evasive lanugage

Last edited:

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally eat about 6 to 12 eggs per week.

That’s been dropped by even the slow responding nhs quite a few years ago. This even admits it was probably faulty advice to start with https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/is-the-egg-myth-beaten/.
The biggest problem with a lot of the dietary recommendations that we've had in the past, like "don't eat eggs", is that they almost assume that if you remove something from your diet that you won't just replace it with something else. That is obviously absurd.

The most likely scenario if you tell everyone not to eat eggs for breakfast is NOT that they will replace it with nothing, and it's not that they will replace it with a raw turnip either. No, the most like scenario is that they will replace it with some type of processed sugary puffs.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat about a dozen. Usually have 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast on 3/4 days and then have Omelette for dinner on one or two evenings