Type 1 What am I doing wrong?!

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, it's been some time since I last posted and since then it's been pretty quiet on the diabetes front.

I was however recently diagnosed with high blood pressure (at 19 Y/O?!) and am now on medication for that.

I went for an eye screening recently and despite my constant attempts to keep my blood sugars normal, my eyes have actually gotten worse.

After having maculopathy for some time, my letter today informs me I have pre-proliferative retinopathy.. I am devastated.

Despite trying so hard to maintain a grip on things, my eyes don't seem to be getting any better, I'm feeling so down and anxious about this, I'm very young and it appears I can't seem to stop this ,

What am I doing wrong? I really need some advice, has anyone else had this happen?? What can I do to stop this condition progressing?

Thanks in advance.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what your last HBa1C was. I assume you are on the Basal/Bolus regime with carb-counting and test frequently. If BS is sensibly well maintained then there should be no early eye problems due to the diabetes so you need to ask the doc what he thinks the cause might be. High blood pressure can cause long-term damage to various organs so good to control it with medication if needed. What sort of readings were you getting before BP meds? Let us have some more information and may be we can help.

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what your last HBa1C was. I assume you are on the Basal/Bolus regime with carb-counting and test frequently. If BS is sensibly well maintained then there should be no early eye problems due to the diabetes so you need to ask the doc what he thinks the cause might be. High blood pressure can cause long-term damage to various organs so good to control it with medication if needed. What sort of readings were you getting before BP meds? Let us have some more information and may be we can help.

Hi there, my last HBa1c had apparently come down considerably from my prior result but they didn't actually tell me what it was, I'm due for one shortly.

I am currently carb counting, I inject novorapid for what I eat during the day and at night time I use lantus.

I had a bad spell about two years ago of constant high blood sugar and that is what brought on the maculopathy, it seems that since I have appropriately regulated my control things have gotten even worse!

Thank you for such a fast response.

Dark Horse

Hi there, my last HBa1c had apparently come down considerably from my prior result but they didn't actually tell me what it was, I'm due for one shortly.

I am currently carb counting, I inject novorapid for what I eat during the day and at night time I use lantus.

I had a bad spell about two years ago of constant high blood sugar and that is what brought on the maculopathy, it seems that since I have appropriately regulated my control things have gotten even worse!

Thank you for such a fast response.
It is said that diabetic retinopathy 'mirrors' the diabetic control of a couple of years ago, a phenomenon called 'metabolic memory'. Keep up the improved diabetic control and blood pressure control and that will give you the best chance of things sorting themselves out.

This page has some useful information:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What is/was your A1c?
"Counting carbs" -- OK, great, but how many are you counting?
Are you counting protein?

All I can gather here is using novorapid and lantus basal.
What kind of diet? No diet?

Difficult to tell you what you might be doing wrong if you don't tell us more what you are actually doing.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, it's been some time since I last posted and since then it's been pretty quiet on the diabetes front.

I was however recently diagnosed with high blood pressure (at 19 Y/O?!) and am now on medication for that.

I went for an eye screening recently and despite my constant attempts to keep my blood sugars normal, my eyes have actually gotten worse.

After having maculopathy for some time, my letter today informs me I have pre-proliferative retinopathy.. I am devastated.

Despite trying so hard to maintain a grip on things, my eyes don't seem to be getting any better, I'm feeling so down and anxious about this, I'm very young and it appears I can't seem to stop this ,

What am I doing wrong? I really need some advice, has anyone else had this happen?? What can I do to stop this condition progressing?

Thanks in advance.
Can I ask what monitoring regime you are following?
Getting clear sight of what was happening to my BGs between meals was a big step in sorting out my control.