Big difference in between bedtime and fasting (morning )sular readings???

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I have been experiencing that my blood sugar levels at night (before going to bed) rapidly changes(increased) in the morning. For example, 7.5 at bedtime (1200AM) , 11.5 at 7-30 AM and 6.2 at bedtime (1200AM) that increases to 9.7 at 7-30 AM . There was no food intake in between bedtime and morning . Can anybody explain what could be the reasons? May be there is a need to change the time of intake of medicines . I usually take greater dose in the morning than in the evening. Does it make sense to take higher doses at night instead. I know only the physician can advise on this, however would like to know how we the pataints think or experience the similar situations

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What medication are you taking and have you heard of the "Dawn Phenomenon"?
There are lots of threads on it.

Reactions: Freema

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been experiencing that my blood sugar levels at night (before going to bed) rapidly changes(increased) in the morning. For example, 7.5 at bedtime (1200AM) , 11.5 at 7-30 AM and 6.2 at bedtime (1200AM) that increases to 9.7 at 7-30 AM . There was no food intake in between bedtime and morning . Can anybody explain what could be the reasons? May be there is a need to change the time of intake of medicines . I usually take greater dose in the morning than in the evening. Does it make sense to take higher doses at night instead. I know only the physician can advise on this, however would like to know how we the pataints think or experience the similar situations
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kaha, I'm hijacking your thread a bit, I know my DP kicks in between 4 and 6am - up to a 2mmol rise, does anyone have any ideas how to reduce the effect? (please don't tell me I need to get up at 4 to take my meds :banghead::bigtears:)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kaha, I'm hijacking your thread a bit, I know my DP kicks in between 4 and 6am - up to a 2mmol rise, does anyone have any ideas how to reduce the effect? (please don't tell me I need to get up at 4 to take my meds :banghead::bigtears:)
Actually, that is what Dr Bernstein and some other T1s do. I see you take a lot of Metformin. Is that extended release, and when do you take it? Also, typically, when and what would your last food of the day be?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, that is what Dr Bernstein and some other T1s do. I see you take a lot of Metformin. Is that extended release, and when do you take it? Also, typically, when and what would your last food of the day be?
I'm a T2 on tablets only, last meal is usually between 7 & 8 pm (as so as it's cooked after I get home from work) and is a protein and low carb veg, then usually fasting until 1-1:30pm the next day

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a T2 on tablets only, last meal is usually between 7 & 8 pm (as so as it's cooked after I get home from work) and is a protein and low carb veg, then usually fasting until 1-1:30pm the next day
You didn't answer my questions about Metformin. Timing your doses and whether you take extended release may affect your morning fasting bg. Also, by fasting from 8pm to 1pm the next day you are tilting all your food intake to the afternoon and evening, and eating quite late before bed. IMO this may raise your morning fasting bg.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The statin probably won't help...

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins put bgs up????
Yes, but I'm not sure if all do. You need to look at the instructions leaflet enclosed with your statin or, if it is lost / recycled, just Google and you will find the relevant warnings. We need to do this with all meds, as doctors can't be relied on to watch out for our bg.

Reactions: EllieM