Change of medication

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I've been a T1D for more than 14 years now, using only Insulin (Insulatard and Actrapid). My HbA1c is 8%. Yesterday, my doctor changed my Insulin dose (lowered it quite a bit) and added Glucophage (Metformine). I thought this was for Type 2 only, so I don't know if any of you had been using something similar and is it normal ?!! He told me that it might help me lose weight as well (currently at 91 Kg for 1.79m despite intense physical activity - walking and running - I can't seem to be able to lose even 2 or 3 Kg).
Any thoughts ? Thank you all.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi beme im type 1d and have taken metformin since i started on insulin as im insulin sensetive and although the metformin does nothing for my bgs it does help my insulin work though ,also i dont think its made me lose weight although ive got no weight to lose and i have not lowered my insulin either .

Reactions: BeMe

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen. Ah, I see then. I was worried about the change, but good to know other T1Ds use it normally.

Reactions: karen8967

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've been a T1D for more than 14 years now, using only Insulin (Insulatard and Actrapid). My HbA1c is 8%. Yesterday, my doctor changed my Insulin dose (lowered it quite a bit) and added Glucophage (Metformine). I thought this was for Type 2 only, so I don't know if any of you had been using something similar and is it normal ?!! He told me that it might help me lose weight as well (currently at 91 Kg for 1.79m despite intense physical activity - walking and running - I can't seem to be able to lose even 2 or 3 Kg).
Any thoughts ? Thank you all.

BeMe, I won't comment your your Doc's strategy with your insulin, but will comment that Metformin can helps some use their insulin (whether natural, pumped or injected) better.

If you have tried all sorts and found weight loss tricky, have you had your thyroid checked recently? T1s should have their thyroids checked at least annually, due to the potential for auto-immune thyroid conditions, but it's always worth a look. One of the thyroid's major functions is regulating our metabolisms.

Reactions: BeMe

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have tried all sorts and found weight loss tricky, have you had your thyroid checked recently? T1s should have their thyroids checked at least annually, due to the potential for auto-immune thyroid conditions, but it's always worth a look. One of the thyroid's major functions is regulating our metabolisms.
Thank you for the insight. He did actually ask me to check my thyroid among other routine things, and I'll be doing it this week. I wasn't aware of the relationship, so I understand better what's happening now.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin activates the same physical pathways as exercise does - it increases the number of insulin receptors at the surface of the cell. It does this so that you become more sensitive to insulin, which means you need a lower dose. Lower doses are usually more accurate than larger ones, so thing should become a bit more predictable, once you have gotten used to your new carb:insulin ratios (which may change).

Reactions: Struma and BeMe