maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Hi

Serial lurker, occasional poster here (very occasional) so apologies if this one has been run every year for the last 20 but does anyone have a really good low carb Christmas pud recipe? Or even lowish carb??!!

Reactions: xxgeorgiexx

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Is a low carb Xmas cake a reality?? ? Suet or hagis disguised as Xmas cake, ? 3 d printed protein cake, suitably coloured and flavoured. My Best Wishes go with you and I imagine Santa could do with a serve of two of it instead of what is usual.

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Seen a few online but not sure if they taste any good. Almond flour, spices, some apple and blueberries so not super low carb. might be ok. not like proper xmas pud but might be a reasonable substitute but it would be good to hear if anyone had actually eaten one that was decent.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen a few online but not sure if they taste any good. Almond flour, spices, some apple and blueberries so not super low carb. might be ok. not like proper xmas pud but might be a reasonable substitute but it would be good to hear if anyone had actually eaten one that was decent.

Here are a couple. I haven't tried either (or any for that matter), so I guess you have to either do a trial one, or just give i a whirl
https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-carb-christmas-pudding/
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2017/12/12/Low-Carb-Christmas-Pudding---Slow-Cooker

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it's just one of those foods along with meringue that just cannot be "faked" - it's one of the few things that I allow myself at Christmas lunch - one small dessert spoon full with lots of fresh cream. It's one of my once a year foods - I don't test on Christmas Day although I don't really stray very far off the normal path. I do a morning fast test and a before bed test and usually find there's not much of a change - what happens in between mind I have no idea, but it's one day, one meal - and what isn't written down hasn't happened right? ;)

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, DCUKMod. Ohhhhhh I knew I shouldn't click on those recipes!!! Found a low carb cranberry sauce in one and a low carb sugar free Christmas Yule log in the other. Might just have to have a go at the Yule log soon though, would be a shame to wait until Christmas. :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively, for cake, could I suggest the war time / rationing answer to lack of ingredients: My local museum used to have a three tiered, full size, cardboard cake, decorated with ribbons and all the usual frills, which was used at weddings. The actual cake, a small plain offering, was to be found under the base tier. ....... No, I thought not, I'll get my coat.
Sally

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I make a mug cake with grated chocolate in the centre which when cooked goes runny served with extra thick or clotted cream (or both)........much more lush than any Christmas pud.........:hungry:

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a couple of xmasses ago I did a LC mug cake with a blob of real mincemeat in the middle.

2 unfortunate consequences :(
First I managed to burn my tongue on the molten mincemeat. Shouldn't have dived in headfirst, then should I?
Secondly there was still enough sugar/carb in the mincemeat to give me a bad sugarspike followed by a rather nasty reactive hypo. Not fun.

But it seemed like such a good idea! ;)

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a small piece of my FIL's most excellent pud with lots of cream after my meal then go for a walk - it's one day a year :)