1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LC Christmas Pudding

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by maryrachel, Oct 4, 2018.

1. maryrachel

maryrachel Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Serial lurker, occasional poster here (very occasional) so apologies if this one has been run every year for the last 20 but does anyone have a really good low carb Christmas pud recipe? Or even lowish carb??!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is a low carb Xmas cake a reality?? ? Suet or hagis disguised as Xmas cake, ? 3 d printed protein cake, suitably coloured and flavoured. My Best Wishes go with you and I imagine Santa could do with a serve of two of it instead of what is usual.

3. maryrachel

maryrachel Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Seen a few online but not sure if they taste any good. Almond flour, spices, some apple and blueberries so not super low carb. might be ok. not like proper xmas pud but might be a reasonable substitute but it would be good to hear if anyone had actually eaten one that was decent.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Here are a couple. I haven't tried either (or any for that matter), so I guess you have to either do a trial one, or just give i a whirl
    https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-carb-christmas-pudding/
    https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2017/12/12/Low-Carb-Christmas-Pudding---Slow-Cooker

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me it's just one of those foods along with meringue that just cannot be "faked" - it's one of the few things that I allow myself at Christmas lunch - one small dessert spoon full with lots of fresh cream. It's one of my once a year foods - I don't test on Christmas Day although I don't really stray very far off the normal path. I do a morning fast test and a before bed test and usually find there's not much of a change - what happens in between mind I have no idea, but it's one day, one meal - and what isn't written down hasn't happened right? ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nirishdaisy

nirishdaisy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, DCUKMod. Ohhhhhh I knew I shouldn't click on those recipes!!! Found a low carb cranberry sauce in one and a low carb sugar free Christmas Yule log in the other. Might just have to have a go at the Yule log soon though, would be a shame to wait until Christmas. :)

7. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Alternatively, for cake, could I suggest the war time / rationing answer to lack of ingredients: My local museum used to have a three tiered, full size, cardboard cake, decorated with ribbons and all the usual frills, which was used at weddings. The actual cake, a small plain offering, was to be found under the base tier. ....... No, I thought not, I'll get my coat.
    Sally

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make a mug cake with grated chocolate in the centre which when cooked goes runny served with extra thick or clotted cream (or both)........much more lush than any Christmas pud.........:hungry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

a couple of xmasses ago I did a LC mug cake with a blob of real mincemeat in the middle.

2 unfortunate consequences :(
    First I managed to burn my tongue on the molten mincemeat. Shouldn't have dived in headfirst, then should I?
    Secondly there was still enough sugar/carb in the mincemeat to give me a bad sugarspike followed by a rather nasty reactive hypo. Not fun.

But it seemed like such a good idea! ;)

10. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have a small piece of my FIL's most excellent pud with lots of cream after my meal then go for a walk - it's one day a year :)

11. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook