What to do? New insulin regime

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently been started on a second insulin. Insulin to have prior to meals.
I’ve been advised I need to administer it 15 minutes prior to my meals.

The dilemma I’m finding I’m having is between breakfast and lunch. So far this week, I’ve been waking around 10:30am. Therefore, I’ve then administer insulin by 10:45, obviously then have to allow 15 before eating. So I’m then having my breakfast around 11 - 11:30 a time that equates more to lunch.

On this basis I’m thinking I should make lunch instead of breakfast, then have a light snack early afternoon in order to administer lunch insulin and then have tea time insulin as normal.

What do you do, if in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for you’re replies x

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As mentioned in your other thread, with the basal/bolus regime you just take the bolus (the Novorapid) for your meals, so if you want then you should just be able to have lunch and dinner with the appropriate amount of insulin and not have to bother about a midafternoon snack in which case you don't need the insulin for it (unless you want to have said snack of course)

Reactions: Libby3781

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On this basis I’m thinking I should make lunch instead of breakfast, then have a light snack early afternoon in order to administer lunch insulin and then have tea time insulin as normal.

As a newbie to insulin I'd just like to point out that compressing your 3 meals a day into a smaller time slot does pose a risk of 'stacking' your insulin dosages especially if you're still working out the amounts and could quite easily get it wrong. Novorapid can last around 5hrs.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I choose one or the other meal to eat, depending on what I'm doing, and Bolus accordingly. In these circumstances, I would only have a very small afternoon snack, if any, and not Bolus for it. The pre-tea blood test will tell me how right I did. It usually works really well. I do this when going out of a morning, and haven't time to eat sometimes, just rely on the basal.
I think that it is more beneficial to arise a little earlier.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just have brunch and dinner :) You don’t have to eat three times a day, and you only need to inject it when you do eat. Don't eat if you don’t want to x