1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What to do? New insulin regime

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Libby3781, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Libby3781

Libby3781 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve recently been started on a second insulin. Insulin to have prior to meals.
    I’ve been advised I need to administer it 15 minutes prior to my meals.

The dilemma I’m finding I’m having is between breakfast and lunch. So far this week, I’ve been waking around 10:30am. Therefore, I’ve then administer insulin by 10:45, obviously then have to allow 15 before eating. So I’m then having my breakfast around 11 - 11:30 a time that equates more to lunch.

On this basis I’m thinking I should make lunch instead of breakfast, then have a light snack early afternoon in order to administer lunch insulin and then have tea time insulin as normal.

What do you do, if in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for you’re replies x

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As mentioned in your other thread, with the basal/bolus regime you just take the bolus (the Novorapid) for your meals, so if you want then you should just be able to have lunch and dinner with the appropriate amount of insulin and not have to bother about a midafternoon snack in which case you don't need the insulin for it (unless you want to have said snack of course)

• Like Like x 1
  3. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As a newbie to insulin I'd just like to point out that compressing your 3 meals a day into a smaller time slot does pose a risk of 'stacking' your insulin dosages especially if you're still working out the amounts and could quite easily get it wrong. Novorapid can last around 5hrs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I choose one or the other meal to eat, depending on what I'm doing, and Bolus accordingly. In these circumstances, I would only have a very small afternoon snack, if any, and not Bolus for it. The pre-tea blood test will tell me how right I did. It usually works really well. I do this when going out of a morning, and haven't time to eat sometimes, just rely on the basal.
    I think that it is more beneficial to arise a little earlier.

5. Notorious

Notorious Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why don't you keep your stuff by your bed, then you can test and inject as soon as you wake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Just have brunch and dinner :) You don’t have to eat three times a day, and you only need to inject it when you do eat. Don't eat if you don’t want to x

• Like Like x 1
  7. Libby3781

Libby3781 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do that anyway. Inject straight away in the morning, and last thing at night.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook